Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking and Blind Spot sensors/assist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I visited the showroom in Seattle the other day and one of the main things i wanted was a blind spot sensor as i find them handy as hell, and the manager there told me that despite it not being advertised or talked about even, the production cars he's seen all contain the hardware for the sensors but the current software doesn't support it yet. I reserved mine (Canadian P614), just wondering if anyone else was told this?

I visited the showroom in Seattle the other day and one of the main things i wanted was a blind spot sensor as i find them handy as hell, and the manager there told me that despite it not being advertised or talked about even, the production cars he's seen all contain the hardware for the sensors but the current software doesn't support it yet. I reserved mine (Canadian P614), just wondering if anyone else was told this?

I hope you are right!!!! I've owned my car for 72 hours thus far. Great car. This is my biggest wish so far.... parking sensors. I asked someone at Tesla recently and they told me there is no pre-installed wiring to support this. I hope this person was not in the "know."

At the Get Amped event in Toronto last summer, I asked if the car had front/rear parking assist sensors. The Tesla rep from California gave me a big smile and said "not yet". I pressed a little bit, but the most I could get was something like "stay tuned". I did not ask about blind spot sensors, but I've seen some rear parking assist sensor systems that wrap far enough around the rear bumper that they can be dual purposed.

I sometimes drive with the rear HD camera on all the whole time on the touchscreen. It actually works pretty well as a blind spot monitor for me on the freeways, although there is no beeping or lights flashing. I just take a quick glance there as I look at my side mirrors and I easily know if it's OK to change lanes.

Just was in old orchard store outside Chicago and the manager there stated that blind spot indicator is prewired and coming as an upgrade soon.

Why is this not public info yet?

I was told the exact same thing by the manager of the Bellevue store. I'm REALLY hoping it's true but I'd put the chances at 50/50 (perhaps higher now that you were given the same info from another store manager).

He did mention that there is some question about the potential cost for this upgrade. It might be part of a free firmware upgrade or perhaps sold as a separate application.

I sometimes drive with the rear HD camera on all the whole time on the touchscreen. It actually works pretty well as a blind spot monitor for me on the freeways, although there is no beeping or lights flashing. I just take a quick glance there as I look at my side mirrors and I easily know if it's OK to change lanes.

This, in part at least, is how the Audi system works. Although you cannot view the camera when driving, the car uses it as part of the blind spot detection. I'm not sure if there are secondary sensors on the mirrors as well.

It's also pretty handy for getting some warning when a Tesla is sneaking up on you. Those things are damn near silent! ;)

Blind Spot Monitor

Stuff like blind spot monitoring and parking sensors were brought up on Tesla forums but were never promised, nor are they headlining features.

nor do you even need them if you are an attentive driver and always aware of your surroundings. never had them, and never need them. I never use rear backup cameras either as I believe their more dangerous than good as they give you a false sense of security. I trust my own eyes only.

i noticed the same thing, and works prety good...but the problem is that the camera gets all mucked up in snow or rain, and then it becomes useless for this.

i noticed the same thing, and works prety good...but the problem is that the camera gets all mucked up in snow or rain, and then it becomes useless for this.

Seems like an opportunity here for a third party cleaning add-on. A really focused air gun to clear the lens might do it.

Agree - I think the camera lens is such a wide angle that you get essentially 100% coverage with it and mirrors. But a software upgrade to add that functionality would be awesome, hope the hardware is just sitting dormant.

nor do you even need them if you are an attentive driver and always aware of your surroundings. never had them, and never need them. I never use rear backup cameras either as I believe their more dangerous than good as they give you a false sense of security. I trust my own eyes only.
I've heard this argument many times, and I respectfully disagree.

Scenario
Driver hits something he shouldn't have (property, a biker, a child chasing a soccer ball, whatever) and it's in court. Plaintiff posits that the driver is at fault. The driver says he didn't see it/him/her. The plaintiff says that blind spot monitoring and parking sensors would have caught it, and trots in a dozen experts from various automobile companies to testify explicitly that those technologies should have prevented the contact based on studies, measurements, etc. Plaintiff then confirms that driver's vehicle has both features. And then the dialog...
  • "So you just ignored the warnings, or they didn't work?"
  • "They didn't work."
  • "Remembering you're under oath, why didn't they work?"
  • "I had them turned off."

No matter how attentive or aware you think you are, you would be foolish and potentially negligent to turn them off without good reason. Pride is not a good reason.

Similarly, it's foolish for Tesla not to seriously consider including such features -- and doing so says nothing about the skills of the drivers.