Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking at an Airport

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the over temp protection? If I turn that off could it damage the car if it’s hot?

There's a setting that prevents the car from getting hot inside, I assume it'ts to prevent heat damage to the electronics or the display. So, yes it could damage the car. How much, I don't know. Regardless, it only operates for 12 hours after you leave the car, so you're not really helping your car much over a week or two, it's still going to get hot from the second day on. But you can lose a lot of range in that first 12 hours... Not enough to strand you I don't think. The protection only operates if you have more than 20% battery remaining. When I leave the AC on parked in the sun for 4 or five hours I've lost as much as 30 miles of range. Of course, I set the AC to 80F, and Cabin Overheat Protection is set at 105F.

I park in a garage when I can at the airport. BTW, this issue isn't unique to Tesla. All new cars have sensitive electronics that do best when not overheated. It's just that with Tesla you have an option to do something about it. Also, I leave a white towel over the display when parked outside to keep the sun off of it. It's not required, but every little bit helps over time. I use a towel big enough so that it drapes from the dash over the display. That lets air flow around the display but keeps direct sunlight off. A sunscreen in the windshield would be better; I just haven't gotten around to finding one that fits my Y.

Check with your airport's parking options. Some provide charging points that will allow your car to be plugged in while your are gone. I know the Houston city airport lots have this option and I think some independent parking companies do the same.

Reactions: Cmf2455
I always do that. 5 days of paid parking equals the Uber/Lyft roundtrip cost for me... Alternatively I take the Leaf which has virtually no power drain when off.

People outside of the major metropolitan areas do not have access to significant airports within a 1-2 hour drive. In addition to that, parking is very affordable in some places. Lower demand and plenty of space.

If I go away for a week and leave my car at the airport will it still be charged when I return in 1-2 weeks?
I just left my Model 3 LR AWD unplugged for two weeks and the battery dropped from 85% to 80%, so 5% for 15 days.
Previously I tested for one week and lost 3%, so consistent.
Was park indoor (no wind) and temperature was from 50 F (night) to 60 F (day) in Northern California.

I did the following:
- Turned off 'Sentry'
- Turned off 'Alarm'
- Turned off 'Summon' (from the AutoPilot menu)

I would recommend to set the 'Pin to Drive' for additional security since the Alarm is off.