Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking Industry Needs More infrastructure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I work in the Public Parking Industry. Soon we will have discussions about adding EV Stations to some public garages in Maryland. Are you a Maryland Driver? Where do you plug-in? Where do you think they should be located?

I work in the Public Parking Industry. Soon we will have discussions about adding EV Stations to some public garages in Maryland. Are you a Maryland Driver? Where do you plug-in? Where do you think they should be located?

I live in Maryland and plug in my Model S at home. I can only speak to this (and guess that Roadster owners would be similar)--no idea about other EVs like Leaf.

IMHO, EV stations are be best in areas that get visitors from out-of-town--areas with hotels, shops, and restaurants. The garage I frequent the most is 5 miles away, so I wouldn't charge there--I charge at home, overnight. But it has hotels, shops, movies, restaurants and would be great for chargers, for visitors--but presumably would also help for shorter-range EVs or EVs with no home charging. I'm thinking of downtown Silver Spring around Georgia Ave./Colesville Rd. (Wayne St. Garage and I forget the other one), which is near me, then there's the Bethesda area off Wisconsin Ave., then the area between Wisconsin Ave. and Old Georgetown Rd., and...I don't know if Rockvile Pike further north has public garages, probably not. Heck, even Wheaton (also near me), though it doesn't have much in the way of hotels, so you wouldn't get out-of-towners.

Also, I recommend making the spots convenient but not too good, clearly label them, and hopefully get a fine for blocking a charger with a non-EV. Otherwise, as busy as garages can be, non-EVs will park there ("ooh, prime spot!") and screw people who really need a charge.

I've mostly used my Model S for commuting, so I haven't even used a public charger yet. But when I visit my parents, I'm hoping they are smart enough to have chargers around where I'll be (hotel next to huge mall...the mall would be a great spot...the type of area I'm talking about above).

Anyway, just my Model-S-owner take on it; I imagine you'd get a different response from a Leaf owner, since it looks like they can't charge without a special EV station (if I read Nissan's page right).

Awesome response. It sucks that Government Agencies always get the "BIG IDEA" and spend $$$ on something that does not work. I'd rather know first hand from the people that will use it. I was behind a white model s yesterday in the rain on 29N... thinking DAYUM THAT LOOKS GOOD!!!!!! I am certainly in the wrong profession! Do you think EV owners in MD want to be in on the discussion? Wayne St Garage in Silver Spring or the Elm Street garage in Bethesda are the likely candidates for a pilot if they pilot program is free/near free. <-- unofficial statement disclaimer--> thanks for the thoughts on enforcement. That is a discussion I didnt think of.

Of course EV owners want to be a part of the discussion, and they definitely should be included. Only owners have the user's perspective, without which any solution will miss the mark.

And be sure to include a Leaf or i-MiEV owner as well as a Model S owner: two completely different use cases to consider.

Of course EV owners want to be a part of the discussion, and they definitely should be included. Only owners have the user's perspective, without which any solution will miss the mark.

And be sure to include a Leaf or i-MiEV owner as well as a Model S owner: two completely different use cases to consider.

I totally agree with stevezzzz!

I'm surprised/sorry I'm the only Maryland person responding, BTW, Jmad1906. ;-( You may want to post at the forums at Tesla Motors, too; they have a DC-area sub forum.

I agree with kendallpb's original response.

Arundel Mills mall, downtown Silver Spring, Columbia mall, and Annapolis mall would be nice spots to have EV charging if they don't already.

Currently the only local charger I use are the one's at restaurants or stores that I want to support for helping the EV movement. Outside of that and the initial testing of my adapters, I just charge at home.

This weekend I'm going to NYC and I've been looking for parking that has EV charging while I'm out and about in the city.

I'm in Maryland and I think the proposed location in the Wayne St Garage in Silver Spring would get a lot of use. There are only two public charging stations in Silver Spring right now and they are restricted to customers of a small shopping center.

However, Elm Street Garage in Bethesda already has a charging station. I used it a few weeks ago and I had to stretch the cord because the spot was ICEd. I think the spot in front of the charging station is often used by non-plugin vehicles so it appears that it isn't looked after very well.

Others here have suggested shopping malls in Maryland. Very few malls in Maryland have EV charging stations. The ones owned by Simon Properties claim that they plan on installing stations but so far none have appeared.

Do you think EV owners in MD want to be in on the discussion? Wayne St Garage in Silver Spring or the Elm Street garage in Bethesda are the likely candidates for a pilot if they pilot program is free/near free. <-- unofficial statement disclaimer--> thanks for the thoughts on enforcement. That is a discussion I didnt think of.