Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@logan: if there's any chance can you see if your shop will take pictures of the inside of the bumpers? I presume they will be taking them off with installation rather than drilling blindly into something behind the bumper.

If there are pre scored mounting circles, you might want to have them drill it in the same spot. That way in the future, should you decide to install the Tesla sensors, it would be to spec (assuming the hoes are the same size or smaller).

As a bonus for rhe rest of us, pictures would also provide us an opportunity to verify whether or not current bumpers have pre scored holes. As far as I know, other than the front nosecone, there haven't been any other pictures documenting this aspect.

I'm stopping by the shop tomorrow to take a look at their progress (also wrapping the car and painting the brakes/badges/mirror covers/front lip Ithaca Verde aka. Lambo Green). So when I go by tomorrow I'll snap some pics :)

I just sent an e-mail to ownership. I can't believe that the options I originally wanted are now available, almost 1 month to the day after I took delivery. I feel like my car is now obsolete. My car also needs service, and I'm continuously asked to push the date out. I'm really getting frustrated. This is NOT the experience I signed up for.

Topanga store (LA) got an new car from the factory yesterday (VIN 174XX)
IMG_3934[1].JPG
IMG_3941[1].JPG
IMG_3939[1].JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3938[1].JPG
    IMG_3938[1].JPG
    605.1 KB · Views: 903
If you consider that you would have to pay the current pricing to get at the new options it takes a little of the sting out (in my case the jump was actually closer to $6500 CDN more, not the $4k I quoted earlier) assuming the retrofit cost is somewhere less than the new difference.

Still, even people whose cars are in production right now at the old price have been told just adding the $500 park sensor option requires repricing. As you know I tried to get it added before shipping to no avail. My DS told me I could take the car that's coming as ordered this week, or decline it and reprice/rebuild a new one. in my case that's not worth the big $6500+ jump in price. Not saying I agree but that's where the situation is now.

If Tesla simply called the new pricing scheme and options the "new 2014 Model S" I suspect we would have less to squawk about (no one expects to get 2014 BMW M5 options if they ordered a 2013 M5 a week before the new one is announced). I have now resigned myself to accepting the situation and feeling like my car just appreciated $6500 in value.

I know in the current situation it's a case of a rose by any other name.

I still think it's ludicrous the retrofit will require new fascia instead of just drilling a perfectly useable existing part. Hardly customer friendly, efficient, or environmentally appropriate (shipping a new fascia, throwing out the used bumpers, not to mention the possibility of a paint color mismatch due to batch variation/sun fading etc).

If Tesla subcontracted out the PDC install it would off load the local SC's (which I'd bet aren't really trained or have the capacity for body work). At the very least they should offer a trade in for your parts to offset the costs (they can then refurbish the parts) or as others suggest allow you to buy the sensors then install via your own shop, the charge the activation fee.

I'll be emailing ownership once I get the car to ask to be on the retrofit list, but all we can do now is brace for the price announcement...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Speculation aside, I have more than a few contacts within Tesla all the way up the food chain. We're all connected through our various SV entrepreneur circles. Current company I work with was cofounded by one of the PayPal Mafia. I've had the pleasure of meeting Elon on many occasion
<snip>

I can't say when it will happen though. They're preoccupied with other things right now, but have been told it should be here before the end of the year.

I just sent an e-mail to ownership. I can't believe that the options I originally wanted are now available, almost 1 month to the day after I took delivery. I feel like my car is now obsolete.

Don't worry, we take your word for it that a retrofit is coming but maybe you could talk to Elon on behalf on everyone when you see him. Your car won't be obsolete.

Thanks for the pics vfx.

Still hard to believe that a $100k car didn't come with parking sensors from the get go. Knowing my luck we'll see radar cruise control in a couple months as well. :tongue: Oh well, such is life.

We can all expect to see more features and options rolled out over the next months-years. It's been pointed out many times on these forums that at some point (just one year ago) Tesla had to take what they had, in terms of engineering and supply chain, and put it out on the market, to start making money instead of burning through it. As early adopters (which still includes people ordering now), we have to accept (but not like) that this is going to be an even better car as each month goes on: eg Tesla/service gain more knowledge of issues, great ideas that were just fantasies a year ago are implemented, etc. Unfortunately, not every upgrade will be OTA, lol.

I am a bit jealous of some of these new features, but I do find comfort that I saved $10,000 in a la carte options by buying earlier. Plus, the value on my car has got to have at least stabilized, if not gone up, from this.

Last edited:
Don't worry, we take your word for it that a retrofit is coming but maybe you could talk to Elon on behalf on everyone when you see him. Your car won't be obsolete.

I sense some sarcasm in your post. The 3 biggest requests for retrofits are currently parking sensors, fog lights, and the cold weather package. They're coming. In what form, I don't know.

Just a little annoyed that the options changed so soon after I took delivery. I personally feel somewhat misled in that everybody I talked to up the food chain said I was safe for "at least 6 months."

My installer had already started installing the parking sensors when I got there today; however, they told me that there were in fact marks on the inside of the front bumper indicating where to install the parking sensors (rear bumper hasn't been done yet, though I'd imagine the same).

These are the Cobra 17mm flush mount sensors, by the way. Also, the sensor on the front corner is one of the front Goshers blind spot sensors which is part of their premium kit. Not sure if pictures will help at this point but here are a couple:

Eqfxji0l.jpg

ssnbLFBl.jpg

BtVIRZEl.jpg

TqPl6bOl.jpg

I don't understand people who say their device (computer, car, phone) is obsolete just because something new was announced. It is no slower, less utilitarian, more comfortable, or less beautiful than it was yesterday when it met your needs just fine.

Perhaps obsolete is the wrong word.

Tesla is the only manufacturer I've seen do this. It's very Apple-esque and personally I feel alienates the consumer.

Most other manufacturers at least give you a sneak peak of what is coming before general sales start and few if any make such drastic changes in the middle of a model year. I sold my 2013 BMW M5 partly because of the mid-cycle refresh BMW has made for 2014, knowing my resale value would drop. I've known since March what the changes entailed and the cars are now starting to arrive from Germany.

This allows the consumer to make an educated choice. Buy the new model, or get a good deal on an old one if the changes aren't worth it.

Had I known (and not been told it would be many months) I would've waited a few extra weeks. Even Apple has extended return windows when they've announced a new phone to allow those who feel 'cheated' to get the latest.

Is this now the 2014 Model S? Or 2013.5?

I hope this doesn't become a trend.

I think this goes along with a new way of selling cars. Tesla is always coming out with new things and doesn't wait for the next model year. Maybe Tesla can start some program where they buy back cars within a tiny window after a change and use those cars as demo models.

I think this goes along with a new way of selling cars. Tesla is always coming out with new things and doesn't wait for the next model year. Maybe Tesla can start some program where they buy back cars within a tiny window after a change and use those cars as demo models.

This would be an expansion of their service loaner program. The problem is sales tax in some states.

It would be easy for them to do and I think would send the right message.

Perhaps obsolete is the wrong word.

Tesla is the only manufacturer I've seen do this. It's very Apple-esque and personally I feel alienates the consumer.

Most other manufacturers at least give you a sneak peak of what is coming before general sales start and few if any make such drastic changes in the middle of a model year. I sold my 2013 BMW M5 partly because of the mid-cycle refresh BMW has made for 2014, knowing my resale value would drop. I've known since March what the changes entailed and the cars are now starting to arrive from Germany.

This allows the consumer to make an educated choice. Buy the new model, or get a good deal on an old one if the changes aren't worth it.

Had I known (and not been told it would be many months) I would've waited a few extra weeks. Even Apple has extended return windows when they've announced a new phone to allow those who feel 'cheated' to get the latest.

Is this now the 2014 Model S? Or 2013.5?

I hope this doesn't become a trend.

Note that with the price increases your resale value likely went up because of the changes, not down.

I think we all need to email ownership, and push them to find a retrofit remedy...I think tesla should take care of us early adapters, as we were the ones whom risked being testers for this now successful launch of the model S. when I emailed ownership yesterday, I was told that nothing was finalized yet ..and that they are still looking into the feasibility of retrofit.

the more of us that email ownership, the more likely we will have a solution...so please email [email protected] as tesla needs to hear from us !

Okay, I will just write this. I wasn't going to do it, but there's enough frustration to justify:

My order was placed some time back. I communicated several times with many people at Tesla about parking sensors, blindspot alert, and a few other elements. Replies were vague, but polite.

About 3 weeks prior to the parking sensor announcement, I spoke with someone at corporate who told me to put my order on hold, because some interesting features were being added.

I put the order on hold, and explored this. Tesla people, on background, confirmed that parking sensors were being added, and told me that I could reactivate my order after the announcement came.

THEN, I received notification that I had to confirm my order, or my place in the price book would be changed. I called and was told that prices would go up, so my order had to be confirmed, or I'd face higher cost.

I confirmed.

The new features were introduced. I called to see if they could add the parking sensors. "No. But we will put you on a list of people who want this feature. Please let others know that we will assemble a list of those who want the retrofit for their cars on the price book now, and also for cars already produced. It will be more expensive than the $500 for current price book, but you've saved more than $7,000 on your existing order."

My car won't be delivered for a while, and I do agree that this is a bit like dealing with some of the Apple Geniuses. It has a sting to it that is unpleasant.