Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No need for holes if you get the Parking Dynamics gear.

Most of the reviews I could find on these electromagnetic (vs. ultrasonic) sensors were not very positive. The claimed range is only 2.5 feet, and most reviewers had trouble achieving that, even with a second antenna strip, vs. up to 10 feet for ultrasonic. That might be the reason all of the OEMs (even McLaren and Ferrari!) use ultrasonic sensors, even though they interrupt the smooth surface of the bumper.

Most of the reviews I could find on these electromagnetic (vs. ultrasonic) sensors were not very positive. The claimed range is only 2.5 feet, and most reviewers had trouble achieving that, even with a second antenna strip, vs. up to 10 feet for ultrasonic. That might be the reason all of the OEMs (even McLaren and Ferrari!) use ultrasonic sensors, even though they interrupt the smooth surface of the bumper.

I could only find a few reviews, and only one that seemed trustworthy. But as I'll be installing them on my Model S, I suppose I"ll make a good reviewer. The distance question doesn't bother me an iota. I can manage obstacles within a 10 foot range just by looking. It's curbs, especially when you get close, that are the problem. The electromagnetic sensors from what I understand are more accurate and reliable at close distances, down to an inch or two. I guest I'll find out.

This might be a solution:

HP-905 Compact Quad Sensor: Laser Jammer Technology | Blinder Xtreme- Official Home Page

Disclaimer: I have never used this product and certainly have no connection to Blinder. I currently use a Lidatek Le-20. This was one of the first laser jammers on the market. It has amazingly lasted through three cars and a decade of service. It is somewhat primitive in that it sees any IR signal and then blankets the the front of the car in a massive 5 sec laser pulse. No shifting, just jamming.

Laser range finders are ubiquitous and it does not surprise me that Blinder could multitask the jammer with parking assist. I would be curious to hear from anyone who has used their products.

I am also interested in Blinder for its duel role capability and wonder if the large Model S would go Duel or Quad system and the cost for the system installed.

The Blinder quad is recommended for a car the size of the Model S. Try this link for pricing:New Blinder HP-905 Compact Dual, Triple, Quad Laser Jammers, one version works woldwide! USA, Canada, Chile, South America, Europ, Asia, midle-east

I already have the 905 quad for installation on my Model S when it's delivered in the spring. When the car arrives I'll post photos of the installation steps as well as the sensor alignment procedures (critical for reliable functioning of the system). I hope that the parking mode setting will work well. In fact I'm counting on it.

Last edited:
To those who say parking sensors aren't required on Model S because we have an high-def camera... Take a look at this picture. Actually, I would prefer not to have a camera and only have sensors (like I have in my BMW X1).

IMG_0893.jpg

For those who may be interested in the Blinder 905 for both parking sensors and laser jamming, here's some helpful information. First, this indicates the audio warnings the system provides when it detects and jams a laser gun signal: Blinder HP-905 - an Audio Tour

Here's what the Blinder forum says about the 905 parking assist mode:

In Park Assist mode, the 905-Compact will alert you with audio, visual and voice alerts while you park your car in a garage where you could bump into objects that could damage your vehicle. The Blinder system will detect different objects with uneven effectiveness depending on the color of the object. Bright objects reflect much better compared to dark, and will therefore allow earlier detection and warning. The Blinder system will not detect and alert on glass or other transparent materials. Be especially cautious when parking close to shop windows and similar transparent objects. Always be aware and watch for hidden objects near the car such as children and animals that may not be detected by the system. Please use common sense and visually survey in all parking situations and do NOT rely 100% on the Park Assist feature.

E-mail reply from Blinder:

"Thank you for your interest in the 905 Dual, Triple or Quad.

Right now, order direct and get 17% off your cost on the:

Dual $497.17 you save $101.83
The triple $621.67 you save $127.33
The Quad $746.17 you save $152.83

This is a great offer! Right now get free UPS ground shipping!

All we need is name, phone, shipping address and credit card. Product will ship the same day ordered.

Email us for a chance to win a free Blinder T-shirt. Enter 905 as your code.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you
Leon Gruner
866-622-7219"

my concern isn't really the holes, which can look fine to me, it's the electronics integration. i'm skeptical that i will be happy with a solution that adds a little homemade box to my console with lights on it or a little speaker under the dash making beeps...

for better or worse i've gotten used to the display and audio cueing on the bmw's.. which works very well. the display that looks like lidar or radar is very intuitively useful, and the beeping that speeds up as you get closer, and rear obstructions beep from the back in a lower tone than front obstructions which beep from the front... it all works very nicely.

don't know if i could stand for anything less.... well, obviously, now i have nothing! so, i can stand it.. but as far as an interim solution until tesla fully integrates.. i'm going to watch the release of the Model S Mark 2 with a sizable amount of frustration, lol.

View attachment 13471

I agree with dtich - I am also coming from a BMW, and am really spoiled with its audio/video interface.. I would want something integrated into the car's screen.. not just an after-market product - the audio cues coming from the 'source direction' are very nice and do-able for Tesla using the in-car speaker system.. so lets hope Tesla comes out with their own Parking Sensor System... they should know this in high demand.

Would be useful in the back because a lot of police laser the car on bridges as people drive under them and catch them from behind.

Jammers and detectors are illegal in my jurisdiction. Cars found to have them are subject to being impounded or, if the device is portable having the device seized in addition to a hefty fine. I realize they are legal in many areas, but isn't a permanently-mounted solution like this going to restrict where you can and cannot drive?

Jammers and detectors are illegal in my jurisdiction. Cars found to have them are subject to being impounded or, if the device is portable having the device seized in addition to a hefty fine. I realize they are legal in many areas, but isn't a permanently-mounted solution like this going to restrict where you can and cannot drive?

You're all set then. Just put the switch on Parking Assist and leave it. :)