Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's an excellent install. It really makes me curious as to what the guys at Tesla were smoking when they decided it would cost too much, from an engineering standpoint, to incorporate these in the car.

I wonder if there's anyone in my little town who could do that good of a job putting them in? Probably not. :(

Honestly it's very sad that the Model S doesn't have PDC or electrical mirrors... Not sure about America but in the Netherlands and probably some other European countrys, we don't have alot of space, so we have to do mostly parallel parking, which means parking in cramp space. The same goes for driving in garages, not alot of space...

If they don't add the PDC/mirrors before they release the European versions I'm probably not going to buy the Model S

Honestly it's very sad that the Model S doesn't have PDC or electrical mirrors... Not sure about America but in the Netherlands and probably some other European countrys, we don't have alot of space, so we have to do mostly parallel parking, which means parking in cramp space. The same goes for driving in garages, not alot of space...

If they don't add the PDC/mirrors before they release the European versions I'm probably not going to buy the Model S

Electric mirrors for the European cars are part of the optional Tech Package (which also includes xenon, rear view camera, navigation, etc.): Model S Opties en Prijzen | Tesla Motors

EDIT: Or do you mean folding mirrors (instead of adjustable mirrors)?

Last edited:
Electric mirrors for the European cars are part of the optional Tech Package (which also includes xenon, rear view camera, navigation, etc.): Model S Opties en Prijzen | Tesla Motors

With the help of Google Translate :smile:, I read that as Electrically Adjustable Mirrors which I think is different from Power Folding Mirrors. People are looking to fold the mirrors in to get into tight spaces.

Very cool stuff. You could probably hook up a timer switch to activate the front sensors for x seconds whenever it goes into R.

I'm not sure that would work because you also want them activated when you pull directly into a parking space such as in a parking structure. Originally my installer set it up to activate the front sensors only when the brake pedal was depressed, but that was no good because the system emits a short beep when the front sensor unit is activated, i.e. each time braking was initiated. So you can either leave the front sensors on all the time and get some beeps in stop and go traffic, or turn them on with the hidden switch only when executing parking maneuvers.

Very cool stuff. You could probably hook up a timer switch to activate the front sensors for x seconds whenever it goes into R.

Every car I've had that had factory parking sensors (rear or rear & front) turned them on automatically when the car was put in reverse. They also had a button to manually engage/disengage them. I don't know when/if they automatically disengaged, but I'd guess the ideal would be speed-based, not time-based. Like the car doors auto-locking when you exceed 20 MPH. Typically, auto turn-off is not a worry because you turn the car off after parking, and that resets them to off.

Next time I'm in one of my two ICE cars with them, I'll see what turns them off besides the button.

Next time I'm in one of my two ICE cars with them, I'll see what turns them off besides the button.

My current ICE only has them on the rear. They come on only when the car is in reverse, but there is a menu option to turn them off completely. I wondered why you would want to, and my buddy who tows a trailer frequently explained it to me :smile:

Another car I drove had them front and rear. The rears were ultrasonic, but I think the front must have been radar-based because there were no visible sensors anywhere on the front of the car. The front ones worked very well when parking (going forward) and I never did turn them off. No "false alarms" in traffic either, so there must have been some logic to how they worked.

Bottom line is it's a mature technology and a shame Tesla didn't equip Model S with them. It's not like they'd have to re-invent the wheel... simply source a good product that's already out there.

Bottom line is it's a mature technology and a shame Tesla didn't equip Model S with them. It's not like they'd have to re-invent the wheel... simply source a good product that's already out there.

Speaking of not reinventing the wheel - Tesla borrowed the steering wheel from Mercedes parts bin. You'd think they could tap the Mercedes bin for parking sensors. Mercedes has some of the most advanced collision detection and prevention systems out there , too.

Speaking of not reinventing the wheel - Tesla borrowed the steering wheel from Mercedes parts bin. You'd think they could tap the Mercedes bin for parking sensors. Mercedes has some of the most advanced collision detection and prevention systems out there , too.
Exactly!

Not having this as an option can only be one of two reasons, laziness or mr Elon Musk thinking parking sensors are ugly.... I still cant believe this isnt available for such a big car.

Dozens of aftermarket sensors out there, Cobra makes an OEM one for starters.

Sure, but on a car the size and price category of the Model S, parking sensors should be standard no matter what. I agree with all those who don't understand Tesla's rationale behind their decision to omit them.

Hell, our VW Touran even has fully automatic parking. All we have to do is tell the car to look for an appropriate parking space, then take the hands off the steering wheel and enjoy the ride.
And even that is tried and trusted tech by now, available ob many models by as many manufacturers.

I wonder how long Tesla can keep up attracting new buyers for the Model S if it leaves such a lot to be desired - especially in a car that expensive. There is only so far a phenomenal drivetrain can hide the car's shortcomings.

I've been a strong defender of Tesla most of the time, but on this one I agree with the critics. Parking sensors should be a standard on Model S. I'm going to install them when my car is delivered, but I'm not particularly pleased that I'll have to pay to get that done.

Last edited:
I'm been a strong defender of Tesla most of the time, but on this one I agree with the critics. Parking sensors should be a standard on Model S. I'm going to install them when my car is delivered, but I'm not particularly pleased that I'll have to pay to get that done.

+1

And...

it's not only the extra money.

I hate to have them not fully integrated in the car's electronics.
I hate the risk involved with aftermarket installations.

Maybe I should give it a try and install some in the roadster. Has anyone done that?

+1

And...

it's not only the extra money.

I hate to have them not fully integrated in the car's electronics.
I hate the risk involved with aftermarket installations.

Maybe I should give it a try and install some in the roadster. Has anyone done that?

+1 .. my thoughts exactly... if its true that Tesla will not will implement this later, then I think its a significant oversight on the car.

I'm been a strong defender of Tesla most of the time, but on this one I agree with the critics. Parking sensors should be a standard on Model S. I'm going to install them when my car is delivered, but I'm not particularly pleased that I'll have to pay to get that done.

I agree. I think it's one of the many things that would have been helped by an additional year of development time and refinement but they had to get the car out. Hopefully it can be added back even if at cost later.

********* MAJOR UPDATE *********

I contacted Tesla in Toronto, as i remember being told there would be an option available "later on" when i bought the car - and Tesla Toronto said that they have been informed that Parking sensors WILL come eventually. - but NO OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE

So I am happy to wait it out, so long as we know its somewhere down the pipeline. This is good news !!!!!!!