Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
********* MAJOR UPDATE *********

I contacted Tesla in Toronto, as i remember being told there would be an option available "later on" when i bought the car - and Tesla Toronto said that they have been informed that Parking sensors WILL come eventually. - but NO OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE

So I am happy to wait it out, so long as we know its somewhere down the pipeline. This is good news !!!!!!!

Thanks for the update. "Later" as in it'll be an available option for future cars or as in it can be retrofit added to existing cars? Big difference. (Yes, I would assume and it'll be an add'l cost if it is the latter, which I'd be fine with.)

Thanks for the update. "Later" as in it'll be an available option for future cars or as in it can be retrofit added to existing cars? Big difference. (Yes, I would assume and it'll be an add'l cost if it is the latter, which I'd be fine with.)

it was in reference to the car i purchased, so "Later" means a retrofit.

I'm been a strong defender of Tesla most of the time, but on this one I agree with the critics. Parking sensors should be a standard on Model S.

I'm ok with them being an option, but please not standard issue. At least not the visible kind. I do not need or want them and do not want the "buttons" in the bumper either. If they are invisible I'm ok withthem being standard as long as I can disable them permanently.

I'm ok with them being an option, but please not standard issue. At least not the visible kind. I do not need or want them and do not want the "buttons" in the bumper either. If they are invisible I'm ok withthem being standard as long as I can disable them permanently.

I honestly don't think the "buttons" look bad at all, but sure... put the option in the Tech Package or something like that.

I honestly don't think the "buttons" look bad at all, but sure... put the option in the Tech Package or something like that.

Yeah, that'll help. Or not... Since the tech package in my opinion is a must anyway. Put it in a comfort driving package, with adaptive cruise, lane departure warning, rain sensor (I'd love to get regular interval wiping instead) and blind spot warning. I'll gladly not get any of that :)

By far, parking sensors are the biggest omission on the S, and my wife and I really do feel the need when pulling into parking lot spaces. I'm excited that Tesla is at least promising an implementation somewhere down the line.

Yeah, that'll help. Or not... Since the tech package in my opinion is a must anyway. Put it in a comfort driving package, with adaptive cruise, lane departure warning, rain sensor (I'd love to get regular interval wiping instead) and blind spot warning. I'll gladly not get any of that :)

That is the problem with "packages" of options... you'll never please all of us unless they go completely a la carte with all of the options. But maybe what you suggest would be a good way to bundle those particular items.

That is the problem with "packages" of options... you'll never please all of us unless they go completely a la carte with all of the options. But maybe what you suggest would be a good way to bundle those particular items.

and the a la carte option makes it like a porsche and easier to get about $40-60 grand above the starting cost, excluding battery pack/engine options

BTW, I was told by a service mgr that the car has not been pre-wired for sensors...

Man, are we ever getting mixed signals on this! I was told it was. I am having less and less faith in Tesla's staff's knowledge of the vehicle. I've spent an inordinate amount of time in stores talking to employees and the downright ignorance about the car's features and abilities is astounding.

Man, are we ever getting mixed signals on this! I was told it was. I am having less and less faith in Tesla's staff's knowledge of the vehicle. I've spent an inordinate amount of time in stores talking to employees and the downright ignorance about the car's features and abilities is astounding.

Retail sales staff are retail sales staff. Very few know much about the products they sell other than what is on the answer sheet they memorize when they get hired. Try going to an Apple store and asking a computer question that doesn't have to do with prices or options--same thing.

Man, are we ever getting mixed signals on this! I was told it was. I am having less and less faith in Tesla's staff's knowledge of the vehicle.

I wonder if it's not a simple matter of miscommunication. Perhaps the wiring harness is designed to tie in to proximity sensors (hence "it's already wired") but that the sensors themselves and the cable runs to where they would be mounted are absent. That would make it a lot more plausible that they'll offer them as an option or a retrofit down the road.

BTW, I was told by a service mgr that the car has not been pre-wired for sensors...

That could be true, as it is possible that the parking sensors will need to be wired in but the important thing for me is to have an "integrated" parking sensor system that works with the screens / speakers, not an aftermarket solution.

I wonder if it's not a simple matter of miscommunication. Perhaps the wiring harness is designed to tie in to proximity sensors (hence "it's already wired") but that the sensors themselves and the cable runs to where they would be mounted are absent. That would make it a lot more plausible that they'll offer them as an option or a retrofit down the road.

This makes the most sense to me.

Much as Audi only offers rear parking sensors for the S4 in the US, but both front and rear in the rest of the world, the parking sensor controller box has inputs for fronts but Audi doesn't run any wiring out to the front on US speced cars. Enterprising folks figured this out and with some work you can add the sensors and cable run yourself. They're fully integrated, the software is even already there.

They would be more useful to me in the rear rather than in the front.
For myself, I find more need for front parking sensors. A lot of parking lots around here paint angled parking spots, making it a greater challenge to back into those spots. The rear HD camera provides me enough info about how close I am in the back, but I'm "flying blind" on the front. (Backing into spots would be a lot ​simpler if Tesla implemented guidelines on the rearview screen.)

For myself, I find more need for front parking sensors. A lot of parking lots around here paint angled parking spots, making it a greater challenge to back into those spots. The rear HD camera provides me enough info about how close I am in the back, but I'm "flying blind" on the front. (Backing into spots would be a lot ​simpler if Tesla implemented guidelines on the rearview screen.)

I'd like some of this stuff also, but it's also interesting how quickly we become dependent on new inventions. I drove (and parked) my cars for 20 years before I ever experienced a reversing sensor or rearview camera and never had the faintest idea that I needed either.