Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Partial Premium Model 3 perfect for Australians

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t do long range driving. Prefer to fly. I suspect there are many similar to me, just as there are others that prefer long range driving, which is where the infrastructure needs to catch up.
A 25D would be more than enough for my city needs.
That’s an Adelaide thing though, not that anywhere else in Australia is much easier. Everything too spread out.
I could use more range than my S75D. Just glad I didn’t buy a $170K S100D last week.

I have done a bit more research boys and as you can see in the picture below, The premium connectivity is only included for ONE year on the Premium Model 3 and then everyone will be paying ~$100USD per year going forward.

This settles it for me. Im going to get the Partial Premium Standard range and just pay for Premium connectivity and save my self $3,000USD after you add GST and convert to AUD that's going to be like $5000

Imgur. <---- Picture here

With superchargers ~200km apart there is no issue with long distance travel at legal speeds. My S barely has more rated range than the base Model 3 and I've never had a problem with long distance travel, on the relatively few occasions we do that. The other 99% of the time of course the range is completely irrelevant, so I think a standard range Model 3 is very far from 'useless'.

the australian "legal" speeds are undriveable as they are purely there to fill the holes in the governments pockets. And this does not account for head wind and cold weather either. Also in QLD we still have to rely on slow DC charging or even AC charging. Last but not least with a bigger battery I can charge faster.

edit: i am not saying a SR is useless. I wouldn't get a 45L car for that reason either. (NB this also holds true for europe as people try to make their fueltanks last as long as possible on motorways as it is just very pricey to refuel there. with a 85L tank of diesel you can easily drive 2000km)

the australian "legal" speeds are undriveable as they are purely there to fill the holes in the governments pockets. And this does not account for head wind and cold weather either. Also in QLD we still have to rely on slow DC charging or even AC charging. Last but not least with a bigger battery I can charge faster.

edit: i am not saying a SR is useless. I wouldn't get a 45L car for that reason either. (NB this also holds true for europe as people try to make their fueltanks last as long as possible on motorways as it is just very pricey to refuel there. with a 85L tank of diesel you can easily drive 2000km)
A bigger petrol tank doesnt make petrol cheaper

A bigger petrol tank doesnt make petrol cheaper

yes it does. I.e. when you do trips to the UK from let's say Germany you can drive to the uk and back to Germany with a tank of diesel.

If you only have a small i.e. 45L tank you have to refuel on the motorway which can be 50% more expensive or in the UK where diesel is also 50% more expensive generally. (Middle europe taxes diesel favourably so it is around 30-40% cheaper than petrol but not every country).

Even with petrol you have the issue that you have to refuel on the motorway in foreign countries and get hit by high motorway prices or credit card fees.

In the Australian outback it is also very expensive to get petrol/diesel in the small towns so with a bigger tank and a nice, small engine you can go very far without refueling.

yes it does. I.e. when you do trips to the UK from let's say Germany you can drive to the uk and back to Germany with a tank of diesel.

If you only have a small i.e. 45L tank you have to refuel on the motorway which can be 50% more expensive or in the UK where diesel is also 50% more expensive generally. (Middle europe taxes diesel favourably so it is around 30-40% cheaper than petrol but not every country).

Even with petrol you have the issue that you have to refuel on the motorway in foreign countries and get hit by high motorway prices or credit card fees.

In the Australian outback it is also very expensive to get petrol/diesel in the small towns so with a bigger tank and a nice, small engine you can go very far without refueling.
The boat charge to get you car to europe will exceed the saving