Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pay for Self-Driving now or later?

Pay for FSD capability now or wait until it's released?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that I'm able to price-out my Model 3, I have to make a decision about the FSD capability. There is no doubt that I want it, but currently only the Enhanced AP is active and the FSD isn't available yet. I know that I will save some money by getting the FSD capability now, and it will be convenient rolling it into my car loan. However, I also want to keep my payments as low as possible.

I'm wondering if it makes sense to just get the Enhanced AP now and then activate the FSD later once it is actually needed?

Now that I'm able to price-out my Model 3, I have to make a decision about the FSD capability. There is no doubt that I want it, but currently only the Enhanced AP is active and the FSD isn't available yet. I know that I will save some money by getting the FSD capability now, and it will be convenient rolling it into my car loan. However, I also want to keep my payments as low as possible.

I'm wondering if it makes sense to just get the Enhanced AP now and then activate the FSD later once it is actually needed?

Full self driving has two asterisks next to it: (1) Tesla's ability to get the software running effectively and safely, and (2) Regulation and government policy catching up. The wheels of bureaucracy turn slowly, there are groups that benefit from self-driving tech not catching on, and there is still widespread DIStrust in autonomous vehicles.

Take the $3000 for FSD and save it or spend it on something that can benefit you today.

I want the performance model and I cannot see how performance and FSD go together. So my answer is: never FSD except if I am renting it out and the FSD can drive the renters around. Apart from active safety, I don't need/want any autonomous features, I love driving myself.

Where's the "not at all" option?

And I think people are pretty silly if they're spending $3k on a feature that may or may not end up working right and may or may not be legally allowed. If Tesla raises the price for late adopters? Yeah, all that time you could have had that $3k in the market earning interest, or going toward something that you enjoy.

Full self driving has two asterisks next to it: (1) Tesla's ability to get the software running effectively and safely, and (2) Regulation and government policy catching up. The wheels of bureaucracy turn slowly, there are groups that benefit from self-driving tech not catching on, and there is still widespread DIStrust in autonomous vehicles.

Take the $3000 for FSD and save it or spend it on something that can benefit you today.

Don't be too pesimistic, governments are waking up to the fact that this tech is coming, and in the fairly near future.
Driverless car bill moves quickly to House floor

Take a look at the promises vs. reality for "enhanced autopilot" on the current AP2 fleet. IMO it would be absurd to pay $3k at this moment for some ambiguous commitment to an undefined product at some undefined future date.