Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Payment Method now on Tesla's My Tesla Page [Since Removed]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The original comment was about having a supercharger at a hotel, so it is a destination charger we are talking about...

Destination charging: you are using an amenity and you plug into a charger while you're there.
Superchargers/fast charger/on-the-road charging: you need to use a charger for a journey and you use amenities while you're there.

Hotel L2 is generally a different case that I would call ...

Overnight charging: the charging you do while you're asleep; usually that's at home, but could also be at a hotel or other place you're staying temporarily.

Again, the original comment was about a supercharger at a hotel. So what is your point? That hotels not even have superchargers but instead use destination Tesla wall chargers? That isn't really addressing the original comment, which is people at hotels hogging all of the charging spots. As more and more people adopt EVs, how will it be managed? I'm assuming that the hotel would manage the use of its charging stations regardless of whether its a "destination charger" or a supercharger.

I would hope said hotel would take the onus to manage the use of the supercharger by patrons of their business and not Tesla. At least I'd think it would behoove the hotel to make it as convenient as possible for their guests.
I don't think it's the hotel's responsibility. The Superchargers are Tesla's property, and intended to specifically service Tesla's product. The idea of idle time charges would put a huge dent in any overnight abuse, though there are some people who would be willing to pay $50 (or whatever) to sleep, so it's not going to completely eliminate it.

Again, the original comment was about a supercharger at a hotel. So what is your point? That hotels not even have superchargers but instead use destination Tesla wall chargers? That isn't really addressing the original comment, which is people at hotels hogging all of the charging spots. As more and more people adopt EVs, how will it be managed? I'm assuming that the hotel would manage the use of its charging stations regardless of whether its a "destination charger" or a supercharger.

I believe Superchargers at hotels are common in europe.

Geofence the busiest 5% of the network. Nag after 5 minutes is already in place. Make it cost money after 10 minutes after charge complete and people will leave in 9 minutes. After 5 minted and people will leave in 4 minutes.

I have no problem with 5 minutes at all SCs in LA County, the OC, and San Diego County. Toss in the Bay Area for good measure, add the DC and Tri-State areas and you've got 80% of the problem children covered.

One of the flaws in this approach regarding ICEing by our own involves technology or more accurately the lack thereof (can't get nagged if you don't have a smartphone). Another recognizes that there are already a whole bunch of grandfathered inconsiderate owners out there.
I agree, that would be a good plan and would go a long way towards solving the problem of Tesla owners leaving their cars in charging stalls after charging is complete.

It is likely that close to 100% of all Tesla owners have a smartphone. For those that don't, they will just have to be more aware of when their car is done charging, and then move it.

This all makes perfect sense. Gives Tesla some level of control over how busy SC's will be. With the lowest hanging fruit being to "get those not actually charging away from the SC". With the level of visibility that Tesla has into the system, they could even vary this in real time in response to certain events. Like Sage said, 85% is full at busy stations. If there is a concert that everyone is leaving, then 75% is the full bar. If other SC's are available a bit further down the road, this will encourage the "herd" to give more thought to behaving in a manner that helps distribute the available charging spots.

It's all just software, and being done to maximize the available hardware. Brilliant.

RT

Do you honestly think that dictating how much charge people need is a good way to advocate adaptation of BEVs to the general public?

I think unlimited supercharging should be forever grandfathered on existing cars even if sold or transferred. It should be for the life of the car, not life of the owner (like TiVo). ;)
Tesla has stated that existing S and X vehicles have free Supercharging for the life of the car (except for those early S40 and S60 owners who did not buy the lifetime Supercharging option). That won't change.
I could see Tesla coming out with an even cheaper Model S that does not include free supercharging.
I think that is very likely to occur when the 3 goes on sale. And I think that will be a smart move by Tesla.

Do you honestly think that dictating how much charge people need is a good way to advocate adaptation of BEVs to the general public?

It's about managing a limited resource. And keep in mind, this is something that would only be in effect something like 1% of the time, only at SC locations that experience high demand at certain periods, and only if there were other SC's available within a reasonable distance. We are talking about a very specific and rare case, which I don't think is going to dissuade anyone from getting a Tesla.

Big concert lets out at 11pm, and the SC across the street has 8 stalls. All 127 Tesla's at the concert decide to hit the 8 stall SC. Whats a company to do? If there is another SC 5 miles down the road sitting empty, you can send the 127 drivers text messages informing them of that. If a driver needs to get home and has a 20 mile drive with 100 miles of range, you send him a text message letting him know that Supercharging isn't required. If a driver lives 80 miles away, and has 60 miles range left, and an SC is 40 miles away, another text message could be sent letting them know that. If the driver insists on getting in line behind 126 other Tesla's to charge even if they don't need to, then limiting them to a 75% charge is a reasonable thing to do. And charging them additional for the privilege of unnecessarily hogging a stall they don't even need is also reasonable.

The basic premise is that just because you buy a Model 3, you do not automatically have the right to use any given SC stall as a 24 hour free parking spot. There is a very large gray area between this, and the idea of dictating how much charge people need. Tesla would be stupid to not attempt to manage a limited resource.

RT

LOL, this would be a very boring forum if that happened. Should we delete all the Model Y posts in that case?

No more than deleting the T3 section. Different issue. In this case some forum admin and change the title would work. I realize it's clickbait for the forum and increases traffic but since the page change likely never existed be nice to get rid of it.

No more than deleting the T3 section. Different issue. In this case some forum admin and change the title would work. I realize it's clickbait for the forum and increases traffic but since the page change likely never existed be nice to get rid of it.
How's that? Better?

And FYI, moderation tasks are completely disassociated with traffic and "clickbait". I'm a user volunteer and have no stake in the revenue of the site. That goes for all of the mods.

My guess is $0.25 per minute as long as you are connected. Simple, easy to understand, and is still cheaper than gas which Elon has said Supercharging for Model 3 will be.

If they do offer payments as an option (for those who don't have a Model X/S/3 with Supercharging included during the purchase process), I'm hoping more along the lines of $0.10 per minute or less. This would be more competitive too.

It's about managing a limited resource. And keep in mind, this is something that would only be in effect something like 1% of the time, only at SC locations that experience high demand at certain periods, and only if there were other SC's available within a reasonable distance. We are talking about a very specific and rare case, which I don't think is going to dissuade anyone from getting a Tesla.

Big concert lets out at 11pm, and the SC across the street has 8 stalls. All 127 Tesla's at the concert decide to hit the 8 stall SC. Whats a company to do? If there is another SC 5 miles down the road sitting empty, you can send the 127 drivers text messages informing them of that. If a driver needs to get home and has a 20 mile drive with 100 miles of range, you send him a text message letting him know that Supercharging isn't required. If a driver lives 80 miles away, and has 60 miles range left, and an SC is 40 miles away, another text message could be sent letting them know that. If the driver insists on getting in line behind 126 other Tesla's to charge even if they don't need to, then limiting them to a 75% charge is a reasonable thing to do. And charging them additional for the privilege of unnecessarily hogging a stall they don't even need is also reasonable.

The basic premise is that just because you buy a Model 3, you do not automatically have the right to use any given SC stall as a 24 hour free parking spot. There is a very large gray area between this, and the idea of dictating how much charge people need. Tesla would be stupid to not attempt to manage a limited resource.

RT

Well that's the thing I agree with you, if I caught your drift correctly, that people are able to charge enough to get to the next destination, be it the next SC or last stop of the day.

And to clarify, I do not view any charger spot to be anyone's (free) parking space. All I'm advocating is that people are able to charge enough for their needs in fair fashion. Punishing someone because they happen to live 20 miles further away, isn't fair IMHO.

If they do offer payments as an option (for those who don't have a Model X/S/3 with Supercharging included during the purchase process), I'm hoping more along the lines of $0.10 per minute or less. This would be more competitive too.

I think at that price Tesla would be taking a loss on electricity not to mention the costs of building out the Supercharger network. Most people are going to average around 70 kW or so on a charging session, if you assume $0.12 per kWh (low assumption in some areas) that's around $0.14 per minute.

$0.25 per minute on 50 kW CHAdeMO / CCS chargers around here is fairly standard, some even charge a session fee on top of that. I think that rate would be very competitive and is competitive with the cost of fueling an ICE as well.

Ah...a five day wonder...or a mirage...deleting the faux thread or relabeling it would be good admin work.
Why would this thread be deleted?
Because we are having this conversation over something that doesn't exist?
This "conversation" is about some very real code in the "My Tesla" Model 3 reservation page, code that revealed very significant information. It clear does exist, and is clearly worth discussing. If you don't think so, you don't need to participate in this thread.
Thread titles are created by TMC members. Sometimes the volunteer moderators edit thread titles for clarity, and in some cases that editing makes them less sensational, and therefore less like "click bait".

Moderators never edit thread titles to make them more sensational and more like "click bait".

The "page change" you refer to definitely did exist based on people posting the HTML code they found.

Reactions: Ulmo
There are a number of Superchargers at/near hotels that do not also have destination chargers.
Leaving your car at a supercharger and walking over to a hotel nearby is a crappy thing to do. They should charge idle fees for that. That's like leaving your car at a gas station. The gas station would probably have you towed. It's totally different than pulling up to a bank of slower destination chargers in a parking lot.

Other than software, the only thing needed to address this is the robotic charge snake being retrofitted onto the SC pedestal. In the posited case, 8 cars are plugged in at 8pm and the owners go to bed. As each car gets to the 85% or 100% level, the snake disengages, and the car automatically moves out and goes to a non-SC parking spot at the hotel. While this may sound like Sci-Fi, think about it... Summon already can move the car by itself, and the snake has already been demonstrated many moons ago. Mapping out a hotels parking spots only needs to be done once, unless it changes, and can be stored in the cars database so it knows where all the non-SC spots are. Once you have the snake, required cameras and ultrasonics in the car, this is a piece of cake.
RT

This was my thinking too... as long as people can't run into the robotic snakes and/or there was always the manual version if the snake was nonfunctional.

It might even just be better and simpler to retrofit everything with induction charging built into the pavement... therefore there's fewer moving parts and nothing to unplug. There's, of course, higher energy costs associated with this though. This would make the summon and repark thing much more straightforward.

Nikola Tesla was all about wireless power...

I realize it's clickbait for the forum and increases traffic but since the page change likely never existed be nice to get rid of it.
There are plenty of screenshots both in this forum and all over the internet showing that the page change did, indeed, exist. It was either an honest mistake by a now jobless admin, or a deliberate jolt to either guage opinion without having to say anything official or to unofficially/officially release some info to the public in an otherwise boring period of wait and see.

Generally SC's are not located at hotels, they are along Interstates.
Actually a large number of superchargers are at hotels. This includes 2 of the original 5 Texas superchargers which connects the major cities. Perhaps you should let actual Model S and X owners who use them answer such questions instead of commenting on something you have no personal knowledge of.