Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Payment Method now on Tesla's My Tesla Page [Since Removed]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
19t1uu.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: nuevodesi
Ah...a five day wonder...or a mirage...deleting the faux thread or relabeling it would be good admin work.

Why would this thread be deleted? Obviously some details got pushed to the production web server that Tesla did not want to make public yet. Just because the code was subsequently removed doesn't mean pay per use Supercharging isn't going to happen. There's a lot of good information in this thread.

Why would this thread be deleted? Obviously some details got pushed to the production web server that Tesla did not want to make public yet. Just because the code was subsequently removed doesn't mean pay per use Supercharging isn't going to happen. There's a lot of good information in this thread.

I already hypothesized about this in another thread, and I have 2 theories:

1. Tesla is using us as a free focus group, because they know we will comb their source code, and then spew out 5+ pages of comments and speculation on what it means. They now have a gold mine of feedback from the various threads we've started.

2. Whoever does their page code is really bored, and wanted to troll us to see what would happen.

I already hypothesized about this in another thread, and I have 2 theories:

1. Tesla is using us as a free focus group, because they know we will comb their source code, and then spew out 5+ pages of comments and speculation on what it means. They now have a gold mine of feedback from the various threads we've started.

2. Whoever does their page code is really bored, and wanted to troll us to see what would happen.
Does really make you wonder if things like this are intentional leaks to gauge reaction/feedback. They have to know that people will be scouring all the data in all forms to look for those "breadcrumbs".

I wasn't clear -- I meant that Tesla could monitor the occupancy rate at the SC so that owners would know when their hogging a spot is likely to cause a problem. Heck, drivers could notify Tesla of their intention to use a SC in near time for even more refined social sharing.

"Dear driver: your car charge will complete at <time>! Please vacate the charging spot within the next 15 minutes for an incoming car. Idle charges accrue from <time.> I also like the idea of idling charges ramping up: First 5 minutes: $1. Next 5 minutes: $2. Every 5 minutes thereafter another $4.

And more refinement: full charge is 85% at busy stations. People *can* charge to 100% in these cases but an idle surcharge will be added. So long as demand charges are added to encourage efficient social sharing and not profit per se, I am all for them. The idling charges can be credited to the inconvenienced driver.

This all makes perfect sense. Gives Tesla some level of control over how busy SC's will be. With the lowest hanging fruit being to "get those not actually charging away from the SC". With the level of visibility that Tesla has into the system, they could even vary this in real time in response to certain events. Like Sage said, 85% is full at busy stations. If there is a concert that everyone is leaving, then 75% is the full bar. If other SC's are available a bit further down the road, this will encourage the "herd" to give more thought to behaving in a manner that helps distribute the available charging spots.

It's all just software, and being done to maximize the available hardware. Brilliant.

RT

So what's going to happen when Model 3 hits the road and there is a Supercharger at a hotel. 8 weary travelers arrive between 8-10pm, plug in and head off to bed. You arrive at 11pm and the Superchargers are all full. No problem though, it only takes 30-60 minutes to Supercharge right? Nope, everyone is plugged in for the night and you are screwed.

I would hope said hotel would take the onus to manage the use of the supercharger by patrons of their business and not Tesla. At least I'd think it would behoove the hotel to make it as convenient as possible for their guests.

They don't have to sell electricity, they can rent out a parking space with a supercharger connection.

Yes, but then they need to charge by the time the space is occupied, not by the kWh delivered during the charging session. This is already covered with networks like Blink, Chargepoint, NRG, etc. They all charge by time instead of kWh in states where charging by kWh is not allowed. This is not a battle Tesla wants to take up either. Going against the car dealerships is one thing, a battle I support, but trying to get 30+ states to change their laws regarding who can sell electricity would not be a wise move.

Reactions: SageBrush
So what's going to happen when Model 3 hits the road and there is a Supercharger at a hotel. 8 weary travelers arrive between 8-10pm, plug in and head off to bed. You arrive at 11pm and the Superchargers are all full. No problem though, it only takes 30-60 minutes to Supercharge right? Nope, everyone is plugged in for the night and you are screwed.

Generally SC's are not located at hotels, they are along Interstates. Having said that, the Redondo Beach SC is in a hotel parking lot, so the question is a valid one. That specific location though is only about a one minute drive off the 405 freeway, so it falls into both categories.

Other than software, the only thing needed to address this is the robotic charge snake being retrofitted onto the SC pedestal. In the posited case, 8 cars are plugged in at 8pm and the owners go to bed. As each car gets to the 85% or 100% level, the snake disengages, and the car automatically moves out and goes to a non-SC parking spot at the hotel. While this may sound like Sci-Fi, think about it... Summon already can move the car by itself, and the snake has already been demonstrated many moons ago. Mapping out a hotels parking spots only needs to be done once, unless it changes, and can be stored in the cars database so it knows where all the non-SC spots are. Once you have the snake, required cameras and ultrasonics in the car, this is a piece of cake.

RT