Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PBS Newshour story says EVs cant be driven cross county - while it shows a person charging at a Tesla Supercharger!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tonite on youtube a PBS Newshour story came up. Talking about EVs in general and why they arent practical yet, and various enviro concerns. I couldnt believe how many things they got wrong, and how much they emphasized negatives without mentioning hardly any positives of driving elecftic. The 'lowlight' was when they said EVs arent practical for long distance travel, but at the same time showed a video of a driver at a Tesla Supercharger!!!! The words 'Tesla' and 'Supercharger' were not used in the video (at least the 80% of it i could stand to watch) I wont bother you with more details. Since comments are turned off, i sent my comment to [email protected] Got a computer response. Yes, i know i am probably wasting my time. But, maybe, just maybe, if enought of us email then PBS might wake up a little.

The current hurdles to putting more electric vehicles on the road

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
Never said that an EV was more convenient than a gas car for travel for refill speeds. But to make it sound like that travel outside of a couple states is terribly inconvenient for all EVs and networks, is disingenuous. Simply sloppy and inaccurate reporting.
Why am I not surprised?
Tonite on youtube a PBS Newshour story came up. Talking about EVs in general and why they arent practical yet, and various enviro concerns. I couldnt believe how many things they got wrong, and how much they emphasized negatives without mentioning hardly any positives of driving elecftic. The 'lowlight' was when they said EVs arent practical for long distance travel, but at the same time showed a video of a driver at a Tesla Supercharger!!!! The words 'Tesla' and 'Supercharger' were not used in the video (at least the 80% of it i could stand to watch) I wont bother you with more details. Since comments are turned off, i sent my comment to [email protected] Got a computer response. Yes, i know i am probably wasting my time. But, maybe, just maybe, if enought of us email then PBS might wake up a little.

The current hurdles to putting more electric vehicles on the road

Good luck with that

uhhhhhh!!!! Sorry. In 2021 my son challenged me to do all 50 states in one year. I did the 48 in my M3. !st trip was 3 day weekend from here in Central coast California to Portland, Oregon crossing the Columbia River (which put me in Washington State.) Distance for the 45 states was just under 11,000 miles.
Then I did the other 45 states in one trip (3 1/2 weeks). Longest stop to charge was just over 20 minutes which included food and bathroom break. (except overnight at hotels which I did not need to charge). To finish the last two, I flew from home to Anchorage - but only to change planes to Hawaii.
I documented each stop and charge. I never had to wait for an available charger. One in Virginia was blocked by a tractor trailer, but I managed to squeeze between.

An individual's definition of "practical" is very subjective. I recently had a conversation with a couple who claim they make about a 700 mile trip a few times a year and do it with one 5 minute stop, and that doing it in an EV would be unbearable. I used to travel like that. When I got a Model Y and started doing the Supercharger routine for long distances I realized how much more pleasant a road trip could be.
To be young and have a 500-mile bladder again.

Not sure what you’re eating on road trips but I have never seen a SC or any other Charger at or walking distance to any healthy eatery options that isn’t a nasty fast food or Walmart joint. I wish Tesla would collaborate with someone like CaVa at its main SC stations along popular interstate pull offs for Tesla owners to have a healthy food option while charging.
I don’t eat super-healthy but there are always options for travelers. During the pandemic I fixed sack lunches and ate them in the car while charging. I think that is the best way to eat super-healthy. While supercharging, I usually eat at a Panera Bread, Panda Chinese, Culver’s, Applebees, Subway, and others. There often is a good selection near the supercharger, but sometimes there isn’t. For the latter situations I have gone to the Meijer or other grocery store that hosts the superchargers and bought something to eat in the car. This is a option for your Walmart stops.

In general it is more difficult to eat healthy when eating out, regardless if you drive a Tesla or a gas/diesel car.

TLDR - Healthy eaters always have options, but it always takes some extra effort.

GSP

Reactions: Rocky_H and GoVols!
Talking about EVs in general and why they arent practical yet, and various enviro concerns. I couldnt believe how many things they got wrong, and how much they emphasized negatives without mentioning hardly any positives of driving elecftic. The 'lowlight' was when they said EVs arent practical for long distance travel, but at the same time showed a video of a driver at a Tesla Supercharger!!!! The words 'Tesla' and 'Supercharger' were not used in the video...

After discussing environmental concerns of making and using EVs, it would have been nice if they mentioned that making and using ICE vehicles is even worse over the long run. After that, it seemed like mostly well-balanced reporting to me.

I guess we’re seeing two different reports? The one that I saw at the top of this thread was an interview and I did not see any negative publicity or propaganda against EVs. I saw nothing but facts. It is true that the US has an inadequate EV charging infrastructure. Only Teslas have a good charging network right now. The report sounded quite optimistic about EVs and simply reported on today’s challenges. No need to dive into propaganda. I did not see any emphasis on the negatives. It’s just the reality that EVs are not ready for grandma at this point and there are some challenges to overcome.