Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Peak Supercharging Rate for Current Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pruitt

Pontificating the obvious
Jun 27, 2014
Casper WY
What is the peak supercharging rate (KW) of the current production Model X (on the fastest superchargers)?

In my 2016 Model S it's about 124 KW. I know the newer cars are faster, but how fast at the peak?

Not looking for an average that takes into account the taper, but just the instantaneous maximum.

Thanks!

Thanks. OK, but has anyone figured out a way to do it? Should be possible with some additional work?
I think that @wk057 had done it in the past. In addition to replacing parts, you would likely need to hack it to update the configuration to tell it that you have different versions of all of the parts. (And even then the standard software might not have the capability of the full 250kW on 2015s.)

You could also check with @Recell to see if they offer a service to upgrading the charging infrastructure on older Model Ss.

Upvote 0
Need to upgrade a bunch of stuff and upgrade to a 100 pack to do 250 kW charging on older S/X. Even then there's still some bottlenecks.

For example, my very early 2016 X (VIN 2k) has all the possible hacks for this without going into potentially unsafe territory, including an upgrade to a 100 pack, and I get ~215 kW peak at v3 chargers when I'm lucky, but usually just holding about 200 kW for a bit.

1710165353962.png

It doesn't really make a huge difference in charging times, however, vs stock. Can maybe save at best about 5 minutes of charge time if you perfectly time everything.

85s can't really do the 250 kW peak for more than a few seconds anyway. Even with all hacks possible + safe, you'd gain a minute or so in charge time on an 85. Maybe 2 with a 90.

Not worth it, IMO.

Upvote 0