Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Peak Supercharging Rate for Current Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pruitt

Pontificating the obvious
Jun 27, 2014
Casper WY
What is the peak supercharging rate (KW) of the current production Model X (on the fastest superchargers)?

In my 2016 Model S it's about 124 KW. I know the newer cars are faster, but how fast at the peak?

Not looking for an average that takes into account the taper, but just the instantaneous maximum.

Thanks!

~255kW (Though Tesla says it is 250kW.)

1697830952705.png

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Upvote 0
What is the peak supercharging rate (KW) of the current production Model X (on the fastest superchargers)?
In my 2016 Model S it's about 124 KW. I know the newer cars are faster, but how fast at the peak?
Not looking for an average that takes into account the taper, but just the instantaneous maximum.

Thanks!
250 - 260 kw, plus it hangs at that level, up to roughly 40%. It stays well over 100 kw up to around 60-70%. It is darn near impossible to get lunch at a charging stop.

My 2018 X was only able to pull down around 198, but only for a couple of minutes. Providing plenty of time for a meal

As a side note, at an Elcertify America site claiming 350 Kw, the best I’ve ever gotten is 200, usually 100-130 max.

Upvote 0
2023 April build MX LR, I regularly get to 250Kw @ 250Kw Tesla superchargers and it holds there for a good while.

My previous 2019 MX 100D would never get above 200 and was a slower to charge overall than the 2023.

I have regularly gone from 20% SOC to 80% SOC in 20-25 minutes @ Tesla 250Kw superchargers and yes, you have to woof lunch down to get back to the car in time.

It's GREAT and only getting better.

I have also noted new reports of only supercharged cars NOT having any more battery degradation than home charged Teslas.

Upvote 0
This has become of serious interest because I got an email from Tesla today telling me that I can transfer my free supercharging for life from my 2016 S to a new S, X or Y if I take delivery before 31 December. Has me thinking about it very seriously.

Upvote 0
This has become of serious interest because I got an email from Tesla today telling me that I can transfer my free supercharging for life from my 2016 S to a new S, X or Y if I take delivery before 31 December. Has me thinking about it very seriously.
Who would say no to a deal like that?

New 4 yr warranty, new 8 yr battery warranty AND Supercharging for life.

Excellent deal.

Upvote 0

Thanks!

I was curious as well and took a picture of the peak on my 2023 MX.

252 kW and 900 miles an hour make charging stops totally acceptable on a long road trip. I generally plan for 15-20 minute stops every 2-3 hours for a rest room break and a snack/drink. When I stop for a meal I let it charge for however long the meal takes.

1698204463456.jpeg

Upvote 0
all refreshed 2022+ model x charge at 250+kw from 0% state of charge to about 35% state of charge. after 35% the rate of charge starts to slow down. It down to about 150kw by 50%
charging time is
0% to 50% in 15 minutes
0-80% in 30min
0-100% in 1 hour

this is assuming you at a version 3 250kw supercharger

Upvote 0
all refreshed 2022+ model x charge at 250+kw from 0% state of charge to about 35% state of charge. after 35% the rate of charge starts to slow down. It down to about 150kw by 50%
charging time is
0% to 50% in 15 minutes
0-80% in 30min
0-100% in 1 hour

this is assuming you at a version 3 250kw supercharger
More important metrics might be: 10% - 50% and 20% - 80%. You will virtually never get down to 0%. Likewise, you will virtually Never charge to 100% UNLESS you are doing nothing else and you are getting ready for a long trip. Smart trip driving is getting down to 10-20% and charging up to 80% or enough to get you to your next stop.

Upvote 0
More important metrics might be: 10% - 50% and 20% - 80%. You will virtually never get down to 0%. Likewise, you will virtually Never charge to 100% UNLESS you are doing nothing else and you are getting ready for a long trip. Smart trip driving is getting down to 10-20% and charging up to 80% or enough to get you to your next stop.
I charge to 100% at the begging of every road trip at home and i charge to 100% at a supercharger anytime i'm eating lunch. The car will always finishing charging to 100% before my family finishes our meal.
If your goal is to travel and road trip as fast as possible which is never my goal but the fastest way to road trip is to leave the house with 100% aim to hit a version 3 supercharger with under 5% and unplug at 50% and hop to the next version 3 super charger and aim to get there with under 5%. Aim to get to the hotel that offers free charging with under 5%.

Upvote 0
I charge to 100% at the begging of every road trip at home and i charge to 100% at a supercharger anytime i'm eating lunch. The car will always finishing charging to 100% before my family finishes our meal.
So your family takes longer at meals than mine........ My point was/is that you should almost never just "wait around" to get to 100%. If you're doing something else - sleeping -eating then yes go ahead and charge to 100% for a trip. Too many people throw around the 0-100% charging time metric as if it is actually relevant in the real world. I would suggest most times it is not.

Upvote 0
If your goal is to travel and road trip as fast as possible which is never my goal but the fastest way to road trip is to leave the house with 100% aim to hit a version 3 supercharger with under 5% and unplug at 50% and hop to the next version 3 super charger and aim to get there with under 5%. Aim to get to the hotel that offers free charging with under 5%.
You may want to start eating at faster restaurants! I believe Tesla is going to start a new fee: an “excess charging” fee if you Supercharge over 80%.

Upvote 0
Funny dynamics of relationships. My wife is the one who told me about the deal and immediately wants to trade our 2020 X LR for a new X Plaid. I am the one reflecting on the idea. The X LR would pretty much be a no brainer $80K with a $7500 EV tax credit. The X Plaid is more complicated.
Get the Plaid if you want/need the 6 seater. The 5 seat long Range is very quick in “Insane Mode”! And it qualifies for the $7,500 tax credit!

Upvote 0

Thanks!
I was amazed at the difference! My old 2017 X would take about 45 minutes to get a decent charge “to continue my trip”. Now with the V3 Superchargers, my 2023 X takes 12 to 15 minutes! Try to arrive at the Supercharger with about 10%.

Upvote 0
I was amazed at the difference! My old 2017 X would take about 45 minutes to get a decent charge “to continue my trip”. Now with the V3 Superchargers, my 2023 X takes 12 to 15 minutes! Try to arrive at the Supercharger with about 10%.
Same. Went from a '17 S100D to the 2023 X and cannot believe the improvement to Supercharging. On my weekly trip to our weekend home, arriving to a v3 charger with a low SoC, usually I can park, order McDonalds, and eat and still need to wait 5 more minutes to charge a buffer (20-30 minutes total). This last time, I plugged into the charger, a 10 minute ETA changed to 4 minutes. I couldn't even place my order before it told me it's ready to continue the trip (7 minutes). By the time I got back with my food, we unplugged and ate while driving, arrived home with a whopping 35% instead of 10-20%.

For "local supercharging", the charge rate above 50% SoC is more than double the old 100kWh pack's curve. I actually stopped using local FUSC perks on our old S because it takes so long I'm literally reading shampoo bottle labels in Target trying to kill time and get to 70%. Now, I actually have to rush my errands or be forced to charge over 90%.

P.S. I think the improved charging curve is win-win for everyone. For an apartment dweller considering using SuCs, I don't want to hog a stall for a long time. But I also don't just want to get 30% and then have to come back in 1-2 days either. Now with the new curve I easily get to 80% in like 20 minutes tops and free up the stall for everyone else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thanks!
Mine was saying 260 kW briefly the other day.

Reactions: preilly44
Upvote 0
This thread had me thinking. Got the same offer. My 2016X responds differently at different chargers. The car can charge at 150kw for a long time and slowly taper, but not on the ones frequented by paying customers, my rate drops theirs won’t. even if that station is completely empty( and I get the bogus busy location message)It’s really annoying at the 72kw chargers, where the model 3’s sharing the cable get full 72kw the whole charge. Mine will drop to 20kw or so until they are done And my rate pops back to 60+ kw. It’s not the car, it’s software. I avoid those programming limited stations, probably what Tesla wanted in the first place. Tesla wants me to trade in. I’m never buying a model X again after all the issues I’ve had. can they give me a cybertruck with the unlimited supercharger? they didn’t list the truck on the deal.

Upvote 0