Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pearl White Multi Coat is new standard color!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just went to Tesla site now to build a Model 3 and saw this! (See pic). Was supposed to be a standard non pearl white as per Elon's text, perhaps this is a mistake?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190715-222014.png
    Screenshot_20190715-222014.png
    386.5 KB · Views: 491
Wow, hope its a mistake...I paid 2600 for pearl white last september, and kind of like that it isn't the most popular colour (though I still see a bunch of them). Having it 'free' now as well as thinking it being the most popular is a double kick to the nuts (along with all the other price reductions/inclusion of autopilot since last sept)....the joy of being an early adopter :confused:

From a non selfish side, it is a great colour. Realistically from a distance even standard white looks the same. Wonder how many people who rushed to order black would regret their purchase if they knew pearl white would have been 'free'....but I can't see how it makes sense for them to give a premium multi coat paint as standard. Their costs are higher for multi coat since its a more complicated paint. I'm still thinking its an error....

• Disagree
Reactions: YusufT and gbertsch
... and the fog lights seem to be gone from the partial premium interior. Is this thing new? So a premium paint is introduced as standard and fog lights are out for all SR+ models. Even Steven. My guess, fog lights will be available as a software enabled upgrade for $1000.

Last edited:
... and the fog lights seem to be gone from the partial premium interior. Is this thing new? So a premium paint is introduced as standard and fog lights are out for all SR+ models. Even Steven. My guess, fog lights will be available as a software enabled upgrade for $1000.
99% sure fog lights were out of partial premium for some time now (by 'out' i mean software locked)

Wow, hope its a mistake...I paid 2600 for pearl white last september, and kind of like that it isn't the most popular colour (though I still see a bunch of them). Having it 'free' now as well as thinking it being the most popular is a double kick to the nuts (along with all the other price reductions/inclusion of autopilot since last sept)....the joy of being an early adopter :confused:

From a non selfish side, it is a great colour. Realistically from a distance even standard white looks the same. Wonder how many people who rushed to order black would regret their purchase if they knew pearl white would have been 'free'....but I can't see how it makes sense for them to give a premium multi coat paint as standard. Their costs are higher for multi coat since its a more complicated paint. I'm still thinking its an error....
Dude Tesla is always going to change the prices around and find what works best. When you bought the car that’s what you were comfortable spending, so why is it now that you feel cheated? Every car manufacturer literally has a MSRP that changes constantly that no one get’s, everyone is haggling the prices and there’s constant sales going around. Tesla get’s crap because they’re up front of the price changes.

A car that’s the same model isn’t going to cost the same a year down the line because the whole point of Tesla is to reach as many people as possible.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Dude Tesla is always going to change the prices around and find what works best. When you bought the car that’s what you were comfortable spending, so why is it now that you feel cheated? Every car manufacturer literally has a MSRP that changes constantly that no one get’s, everyone is haggling the prices and there’s constant sales going around. Tesla get’s crap because they’re up front of the price changes.

A car that’s the same model isn’t going to cost the same a year down the line because the whole point of Tesla is to reach as many people as possible.

Elon Musk on Twitter
You misread (and misrepresented) my post. I'm well aware of the early adopter thing. My words were it feels like 'a kick to the nuts', but at no point did I say I felt 'cheated'. It's more like saying, damn that sucks, but oh well that's how *sugar* goes.

I'm still confused how it makes financial sense for tesla to offer a Multi coat paint for free, but solid black at a premium. Multi coat white certainly costs more to produce. It just doesn't pass the smell test, but good for all those that now save 2600.

Let me re iterate, it's a great thing for those ordering now.

Also, let's be real, we are allowed to question the rationale about certain decisions and changes. I see it all too often on these forums that people take the 'how dare you complain' stance...from your comments I guess you also think someone who ordered ludicrous upgrade for 20k last week can't complain because it's now included for free? o_O

Like all things in life, things aren't black and white.

• Love
Reactions: corlaandstan
I'm still confused how it makes financial sense for tesla to offer a Multi coat paint for free, but solid black at a premium. Multi coat white certainly costs more to produce. It just doesn't pass the smell test, but good for all those that now save 2600.

Switching base color to white is more of a demand lever. Increase sales by appealling to those who don't want black and dropping the price of just one color will help economies of scale. Plain white would have made more sense but maybe to long tail of another color really is that bad?

Also, they may be getting killed on paint defects reported at delivery on the black. I had some scratches buffed out and a fender repainted as a result of what I pointed out.

I got my Model 3 SR+ June 8th, they were still provided. Tesla's web site, under Model 3 presentation, still shows them belonging with the partial premium interior, I thought it must be a recent tweek.View attachment 430402 .

they're physically present on your SR+, but do you have an option to toggle them ON/OFF on your screen? A quick google search of 'SR+ fog lights' shows a lot of links/forums where people mention they're present but software locked.

And I'm guessing they're still physically present today (and in the future), but will remain software locked like a lot of other things compared to premium interior (speakers, browser, streaming service, etc)

they're physically present on your SR+, but do you have an option to toggle them ON/OFF on your screen? A quick google search of 'SR+ fog lights' shows a lot of links/forums where people mention they're present but software locked.

And I'm guessing they're still physically present today (and in the future), but will remain software locked like a lot of other things compared to premium interior (speakers, browser, streaming service, etc)

Same as userneym, when I purchased my M3 SR+, it was listed as having LED Fog lamps included as part of partial premium interior. I do have the option of turning on the foglamps on and off and have verified it indeed works correctly. I hope this change only applies to new cars going forward as it would really suck to have a feature taken away when it was officially available at time of purchase.

I believe people who did have foglamps software locked were ones who bought the SR (off menu option). Where, when they took delivery, all the SR+ features were available as well, however, was later software locked via update.

Reactions: seanns32

On my SR+ I can super-confidently say they are present and they work. I am pretty sure that is the case with all SR+ trims delivered up until very recently, I was just curious if this is just an adjustment due to the premium paint introduced as standard or is something that happened quietly in the background before that (which I highly doubt would've been done without an announcement). The software locked ones are on SR trims.
To be honest, I wish I had the option of the standard pearl white paint instead of fog lights when I bought the car, I like that colour.
FogLights2 (2).jpg