Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Peeling covering on brake rotor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you mean rust on the actual braking surface, or the rest of the rotor?
Rust doesn't accumulate on the surface because the pads MECHANICALLY clean it off. You can do this in an EV by just stopping once from 30 MPH. This doesn't have anything to do with heat. If you could just heat iron/steel to 300F and get rid of rust, the word would be a very different place.

If you mean rust on the rest of the rotor, well rotors rust all the time:
rustydisc.jpg

Brake rotors can’t be made of aluminum.
Two piece rotors, like those on the Model 3 Performance, usually have the center "hat" section made of aluminum. Judging by the weight of the rotors, and the appearance of the center hat section after the paint peels off, I think that the center hat section of the performance rotors is made of aluminum. The friction surface is typically iron unless they are high end carbon ceramic brake rotors. There have also been some rotors made completely out of aluminum with a carbide coating applied to the friction surface, but they don't seem to have caught on, so I assume that had some significant drawbacks.

yea saw that. looks almost better than the original lol (it would if it was uniform IMO)
It doesn't look like it would be too hard to just use a bunch of brake cleaner and a brillo pad for a uniform appearance. :)

Actually, I'm surprised that brake cleaner would take the paint off like that. Usually, brake cleaner has little affect on paint, in contrast to brake fluid which does a great job of removing paint.

Ok. Please do explain what makes the rotor not rust on the ICE cars? I love it when someone tries to answer without a reason.
Might want to read the very next post after your previous one.

Speaking of not having a reason, can you point me to anything that describes how heat removes rust and why we use mechanical and chemical processes in industry to remove rust, not just the simple application of heat?