Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Peeling headlight covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla had my car in for service for almost a month - just got it back and both headlights are peeling badly (was fine when I dropped the car off).

The service rep told me today that the coating on the headlights was only expected to last 2 years.

Both headlights have already been replaced once a few years ago.

Any thoughts on how to approach this?

Tesla had my car in for service for almost a month - just got it back and both headlights are peeling badly (was fine when I dropped the car off).

The service rep told me today that the coating on the headlights was only expected to last 2 years.

Both headlights have already been replaced once a few years ago.

Any thoughts on how to approach this?

If you're under warranty, they'll replace the lights. If not, you're most likely out of luck. The headlights can peel overnight really and when they do its too late. 3M them or pick up a used set that are not peeling off Ebay, then do yourself a favor and throw paint armor over them so they won't peel on you.

If you're under warranty, they'll replace the lights. If not, you're most likely out of luck. The headlights can peel overnight really and when they do its too late. 3M them or pick up a used set that are not peeling off Ebay, then do yourself a favor and throw paint armor over them so they won't peel on you.
Any specific recommendations on type of protective film for Roadster headlights and advice on application? I've never done a job like that. Do you first make a paper pattern of the headlights and then cut the film to the pattern? Mine are fine but I've read so many posts about them peeling that I realize I should be proactive!

Any specific recommendations on type of protective film for Roadster headlights and advice on application? I've never done a job like that. Do you first make a paper pattern of the headlights and then cut the film to the pattern? Mine are fine but I've read so many posts about them peeling that I realize I should be proactive!

Pick a good protective film that won't yellow over time. The lights I have I picked up from Augie, a fellow member on the forum, and had them sent out to TRS for the HID upgrade. Augie had upgraded to Tesla's HID but he had his car paint armored before that and they did the lights too. Looking at the lights covered I discovered that this also prevents the peeling from happening to the headlights. And my original Roadster headlights, one side, started peeling. Like I said in the earlier post, it just happens overnight and you'll ask yourself how the heck did that happen.

It shouldn't be hard applying it, just watch some youtube videos on it and buy the correct tools. I think the squeegee is the main one for that.

I just took mine to Auto Image in Belmont. $75 IIRC. Can definitely be done by yourself for cheaper though. Just make sure the film blocks UV - that's what causes the peeling.

Dumb question, but what is the purpose of the film (i.e. do we really need to replace it)? Is to just to protect the assembly from rocks, etc...?

If the film is overlayed on top of the clear plastic headlight, with that the headlight coating has no way of peeling since there's pressure pushing down on the film preventing any chance of it pushing up and peeling.

Yep, got that. But for those of us for whom it is too late (peeling already started), what is the purpose of putting another film BACK on the headlights after removing the remnants of the original?

Helps prevent rock chips and any UV coating you put on top to protect the plastic. That film that's peeling is the UV protectant for the plastic. If you didn't put any UV protectant on after reconditioning the headlights you might run into a different problem down the road such as the plastic discoloring / turning yellow or even hazy. Possibly there's a UV paint armor product that'll do that for you.

Helps prevent rock chips and any UV coating you put on top to protect the plastic. That film that's peeling is the UV protectant for the plastic. If you didn't put any UV protectant on after reconditioning the headlights you might run into a different problem down the road such as the plastic discoloring / turning yellow or even hazy. Possibly there's a UV paint armor product that'll do that for you.

Thanks (and welcome back) wiztecy. That's what I assumed, but before I went to the trouble of removing/replacing I figured I would ask.

I just got my pealing headlights replaced under warranty. Like you, I inquired about paying the difference between the halogen and HID's. I was told they don't have any more halogens, they would replace them with the HID under warranty!

The difference between the two is night and day (no pun intended). I felt like the halogens were downright dangerous at times! I had a '94 Audi S4, which had some of the first projector lights. Those were worse but at least the car sat higher off the ground. The HID are awesome! The high beam is still halogen, but the low beam has a shutter which raises up to assist the high beam. Now if only they hadn't screwed up my GPS when I had it for service.

It's been almost exactly a year since I refinished my headlights and had the film put on. The film is holding up perfectly, but I have noticed when the light is just right that there is some checking I missed during my sanding. I actually noticed it a while ago, but I've been in denial :rolleyes:.
In general I'm very happy with the results and even happier with the durability.

Awesome to hear the update jordan! The only thing I'm curious about is if/when I remove the paint armor, if the headlight film will then come with it. If it does I can always take your approach to refinish, then re-protect.

I can't imagine the paint armor interfering with the film. The edges of the film are tucked around the sides of the lense (without removing the lense, I might add!) and they seem to be holding fine.

Mine started to peel today. I have reported this to the Service center as I was smart to buy the extended warranty (has paid for itself).

I am hoping they replace with the HID lights - but want your opinions.... before Tesla installs these should I take them to my local wrap shop and get these plastic wrapped, and then let tesla install on the warranty!

Do the HID lights need film or are they indeed made with better protection on the lens?

Do the HID lights need film or are they indeed made with better protection on the lens?

I haven't heard of a single Tesla HID assembly that's peeled. With that said, is it possible they could peel. Yes, especially over time in being hit by UV light. UV lights are very harsh on things. You can have the paint armor installed on the headlights after Tesla has installed them. It's the best investment. The stock halogen headlights I have which were covered in the armor are holding up well, I already have seen the sides of where the armor didn't cover already peel off so it works.

My passenger-side one is starting to peel a bit, just around the edges. Is this the same thing? Pretty sure they are the HID variety.

CAM00642.jpg