Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PEM, motor gets too hot -- fans failed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There have been a coupl'a times this week driving in Standard mode through the valley that stepping on the torque pedal got a tepid "range mode" response. The temp readout both times was around 112 and the PEM bar was in the yellow. Old firmware version used to tell you it was doing this. Now it seems they are not announcing the reduction to the driver.

I just had the latest firmware (4.6.2) installed - and driving thru the valley these last few days, I did get a 'power limited' warning on my dash. The pem was in the yellow.

No beep that I heard (but I may have had the music cranked). Yes, the VDS.

I was told that this firmware update helped with battery balancing and also corrected the problem I had when I connected my J1772 adapter to a 75amp J1772 charger. (I'm going to verify that fix in the next couple of days, since it's only 8 miles from the house.)

Hi everyone,
First post here. I purchased and have been enjoying my 2.5 Roadster Sport since May of this year (#1314). Occasionally reading through the many posts here, but just now joined to make a contribution.

I have some experience that relates to this thread. My observation is that the PEM cooling method could definitely use some improving, and I suspect there are additional updates on the way, though I have had no indication of that when I asked Tesla Service people.

Some of the earlier comments in this thread echo my own experiences, and when my car was recently in for service, I asked them to address as much as possible the high PEM temperatures, and reduced power behavior I experienced almost daily on my afternoon drive home from work. I live in South Carolina, and August-September we get high humidity with temps 90 and above. To me this is to be expected, and the car should be able to deal with such an environment without so much as a peep from the energy system. And it does, with the exception of PEM cooling. So the Tesla shop performed a service procedure on the PEM and found substantial cleaning was needed, for road dirt and debris. My (2) blower fans were still in working order. So, I got the car back, and now it is my turn to take some steps to improve the situation.

I made the same observation that others have posted, regarding the (unfortunate) delivery of moisture and "airborn material" to the PEM (and Tesla drive motor) by the cooling blowers. The two actions taken were to install a filter for the blower airflow, and to improve the wheel well enclosure under the rear body panels, adding a partition to separate the cloud of high velocity road debris, moisture, etc, from the airspace around the cooling blower fans.

The work was done a couple of weeks ago, and I wish to share the method and results.

So, now I have "27 color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one to be used as evidence" -of the repair. :) (with thanks to Arlo Guthrie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arlo_Guthrie and Officer Obie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Obanhein)

Err, A little US culture/humor from the previous century there, but I do have detailed pictures and explanation of how this was done on my 2.5 Roadster. It was not a difficult task, and materials were easy to obtain and work with.

The goal of this work is just to improve the environment the blower fans operate in, and eliminate most all debris delivery to the PEM and motor by the cooling blowers. Hopefully it will also help prevent premature failure of the blowers. A secondary result may be improved PEM cooling, at least to the extent that the dirt was the cause of higher PEM temperatures.

Like I said, the work is done, but now the season has changed to cooler temps and it will be another 8-10 months before the thermal performance can be observed.

Images from before and after modification:

IMG_0041a.JPG
IMG_0312a.JPG

Thanks, I am very pleased with the car I got. White gives a sense of high tech, and is a futuristic look.
The Rangers performed the PEM cleanup, and that was the extent they seem to be able to offer to address PEM cooling.
It is parked in the sun at work, and do leave at the hottest part of the day, which can contribute to temp issue.

Looking at the blower/fan area in the back of the car, it was obvious that the situation can be improved. I did the work myself, and it is a simple and effective mod.

Last edited:
Yes, I have been lobbying for EV charging at the company. "STR" would be ideal!

For the PEM temp issue though, I suspect the hot box effect would not be persistent if the cooling method were a bit more effective.
It might start out extra hot, but 10-15 minutes of "cooling" while car is being driven should be able to moderate that. The opposite is what I experienced, I started off with OK temp, then 10-15 minutes later got PEM temp indication yellow, and even the reduced power light. The battery and motor did stay at a cooler temp indication. I'm hoping that keeping things clean will also keep the PEM a bit cooler.

Last edited:
Yes on sharing details. I am preparing this. The presentation will be in two parts; part#1 is the filter install, and #2 is for wheel-well splash partition install. I am a bit concerned about how many pictures I should post here, and am a noob, and have not studied TMC site rules in detail. Anyone have advice on how many pics if there is a limit, or should I link to another site where I can feel free to post all the (many) pictures?

Last edited:
OK, Here we go with Part 1, Install Roadster Blower Filter:

A) get the car safely on some ramps to lift the rear of the car (if you do not have a better lift system available).

IMG_0036a.JPG

B) Then have a look around and see the blower area. Shine a flashlight to see how open the airspace is. Most likely you will see an accumulation of road dirt, etc inside, sitting on top side of the black splash pan under the car.

IMG_0050a.jpg
IMG_0055a.jpg
IMG_0057a.jpg
IMG_0071a.JPG

Just a few common tools will be needed. 1/4" socket driver set, small hex/allen tools, flashlight, utility knife, scissors. The cutting tools are only used on the filter material. No cutting or drilling of any kind was done on the car.

In the future, if desired: the filter, and partitions (to be shown in Part 2) can be removed, and the car will be as it was before.

-continued in next post.

Part 1, Install Roadster Blower Filter:

C) Drop the large splash pan to gain access to the blower area, getting a better look at the space here.

IMG_0087a.jpg
IMG_0090a.JPG
IMG_0100a.JPG

Note the dirt distribution that is on the splash pan. Good to have a picture of this, as I can now clean it off, and then after driving the car for a period of time, it will be interesting to see how different it looks from this. (this is from only 4 months of driving the new car)

In looking at the two blowers, imagine a protective dome of filter material, to keep road debris from being easily delivered to the intake grills on the blowers.

I am a bit concerned about how many pictures I should post here, and am a noob here, and have not studied TMC site rules in detail. Anyone have advice on how many pics if there is a limit, or should I link to another site where I can feel free to post all the (many) pictures?

I think the site stopped letting me upload pictures once I had done 256.

Why didn't Tesla include a filter on the fan(s) in the first place? :confused:

Part 1, Install Roadster Blower Filter:

D) Next, shown is the filter material I selected. It seems to be ideal. It is thick, loose fibers that will not be a HEPA filter, far from it, but it will also not present much of a restriction to the airflow needed by the blowers. -especially with the large surface area that will be used in this application. I purchased and used two of these from a well known discount store.

IMG_0121a.JPG

Referencing the previous open view under the car, I decide to make use of the gap between the anti-sway bar and the steel sub-frame to secure one edge of the first filter material to be fitted. To make this fit neatly, two corners of the first filter sheet were cut. They are shown on top of the second piece of filter material, which will be used in a later step. These two corner pieces can be set aside, and will be used at a later step. The larger piece with corners cut out will now be installed.

IMG_0124a.JPG
IMG_0127a.JPG

In deciding on the dimensions of material to cut, I just held the filter in place, and cut to allow clearance between the sway bar mounts. These next images show how I am starting to install the filter material:

IMG_0132a.JPG
IMG_0137a.JPG
IMG_0138a.JPG
IMG_0139a.JPG
IMG_0153a.JPG

The property of this filter material is such that it can be pressed and pulled behind the sway bar as shown. It is a fairly snug fit, but can be worked into position by hand.

-continues in the following posts

Last edited: