Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PEM, motor gets too hot -- fans failed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
for the last days my PEM fan was very loud and nearly always blowing with full speed. While driving with moderate speed 70-80 km/h at low temperature (12... 15 C°) the temperature of the PEM was at the last blue bar and sometimes at the first yellow bar with power reduction.
Today the Tesla Tech checked it. After removing the PEM and cleaning the cooling fins ( the dirt blocked the air flow) everything works fine now.
As a kind of routine the PEM fan was also replaced.

I just had both the PEM fan (3 weeks ago) and the motor fan (last week) replaced as both were running hot.

I think Roadster drivers in the Northern climes pick up more road crap (sand / salt etc) in winter time thus it's much harder on the fans.

Last edited:
I just had both the PEM fan (3 weeks ago) and the motor fan (last week) replaced as both were running hot.

I think Roadster drivers in the Northern climes pick up more road crap (sand / salt etc) in winter time thus it's much harder om the fans.

Jaff, one or both of my fans on the rear are making alot of vibration noise - quite loud - when I stop at a set of lights its louder than the ice vehicles around me! Did this happen to you before failure?

Kevin

Mine was very loud and vibrating as well. The Ranger came right out to fix it. There was a LOT of road gravel in there. They also replaced the PEM fan. He told me that most of the northern cars have had to go through this.

Hopefully they come up with a better fan to retrofit. i was also wondering if some sort of inner wheel wells would prevent some of the mess from going in there.

PS, they are just about done sweeping the roads in Calgary. All ready to put more gravel down in September...

No Kevin, I heard no noise prior to either fan problem...When the PEM fan failed, I received a VDS message advising me that my overnight charging session was interrupted due to the excessive heat...I sent the logs to Mark (my Ranger)...he was out the next day to replace the PEM fan...a few weeks later, I took a 240 km trip to the cottage...I wasn't "pushing it" at all, but I noticed that my motor temp was in the yellow...Mark replaced the motor fan when I got home...no noise at all though...

Eberhardt is right though...don't mess around with the fans...if there is a problem, get it looked at right away

Jaff, one or both of my fans on the rear are making alot of vibration noise - quite loud - when I stop at a set of lights its louder than the ice vehicles around me! Did this happen to you before failure?

Kevin

I don't know Doug but I'd be careful in this hot weather we're having...I wouldn't push it with a long journey out of town or too much spirited highway driving...

...it's so easy to get a bad reputation...you know, when your wife is pushing your vehicle off to the side of the road (hey, somebody has to steer, right?) :biggrin::wink:

My PEM fan is making some noise. The car is due for the annual service, and we're trying to work out Ranger scheduling. How likely is it to fail suddenly?

Last edited:
I don't know Doug but I'd be careful in this hot weather we're having...

Yeah really, it's like the PEM is pre-heated for you. Already at 3 bars before you turn on the car.

...it's so easy to get a bad reputation...you know, when your wife is pushing your vehicle off to the side of the road (hey, somebody has to steer, right?) :biggrin::wink:

She's one of those rare people who really hate driving, so much so that she's not driven a car in years. Occasionally in the past that has resulted in her pushing when we got stuck. :tongue:

My late model Sport 2 #1291 car is only 1 month old and 1,000 miles. In week 1 of having the car the sensor for the coolant temp of the battery failed. NY service replaced right away. Since then I have the same overheated PEM you are describing. Aftet letting the car sit and cool overnight without charging, the PEM is on the 4rth light before I leave my driveway, and in the first yellow another block farther. I constantly get the reduced power message while driving, and I get the "will take longer to charge due to excessive temperature" when charging. No way this is from gunk in the fan, or salt. Logs show that the culprit may be an errant temperature sensor in the PEM, so the fan is not getting the instruction to turn on. Service ordered a new PEM and will install next week when it comes in from California.

Now I understand why the Roadster was the guinea pig car for true enthusiasts willing to put up with this stuff. Despite amazing service responsiveness I doubt mass market consumers will accept these problems on Model S, and Tesla would get a bad name. They will not get credit for pushing the technology, being a leader, or anything if there are widespread problems. That said I wold hope they put a filter in the Model S.

In looking at the photos of corroded fans I wonder if the solution is to replace the bearings alone. Used sealed bearings made for heavy use. The photos look like the bearings are open body units and salt and crud can enter the bearings themselves.

With respect to:

In looking at the photos of corroded fans I wonder if the solution is to replace the bearings alone. Used sealed bearings made for heavy use. The photos look like the bearings are open body units and salt and crud can enter the bearings themselves.

There are plans, as I understand, for a fix to the PEM fan coming soon. I think that it's 'the' problem that all owners suffer from, the front radiator fans are rock solid, the rear PEM and motor fans are just the wrong part in the wrong application.

Some information on the new and improved PEM/Motor fans...

The new units are going into cars being assembled now, and as the supply opens up they'll be retrofitting them into older cars. They are actually dual fan modules, with foam air filters along the lines of those seen on some carburetors. Installing them requires a firmware update.

The Rangers replaced one fan and blew the dust out of the PEM and motor. The fans were filthy, the motor was filthy, and the PEM heat sinks were filthy. It was quite comical how much stuff we got out of the PEM. (even the rangers were surprised)

IMAG0252.jpg
IMAG0254.jpg

There have been a coupl'a times this week driving in Standard mode through the valley that stepping on the torque pedal got a tepid "range mode" response. The temp readout both times was around 112 and the PEM bar was in the yellow. Old firmware version used to tell you it was doing this. Now it seems they are not announcing the reduction to the driver.