Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pennsylvania wants to impose EV Tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lynnpt2001

Cookie Monster MX & M3
Sep 9, 2015
Greencastle PA
Pennsylvania state legislators want to slap electric vehicle owners with a $250 annual tax. The bill was introduced by state Representative Mike Carroll, who represents an area just south of Scranton (contact form here), and is the ranking Democrat on the Pennsylvania House’s Transportation Committee. The bill has bipartisan support, and both chambers of the legislature are controlled by state Republicans.

Write to them now....

• Informative
Reactions: TheTalkingMule
WV has a $200 annual EV registration fee which is $150 more than an ICE, but even at that, on average, it's cheaper than state fuel taxes not to mention federal fuel taxes. I certainly don't want to give anyone the argument that EV owners don't pay their share of road taxes while everyone else has to shoulder the burden. Lots of things we can fight, but I don't see this as one of those as long as EVs aren't unfairly assessed on road taxes.

Just never understood why the government don't see the gracious benefits in families investing in electric transportation. Let's face it, they sure preach the fact that we all need to be thinking green. I believe it wouldn't take long to dig up many ways a petro vehicle is subsidized.
Remember about Illinois attempting one of the biggest EV tax hike? Further digging found one of the top three donors to Martin Sandoval's campaign to be the Illinois automotive dealers association.

It would be more fair if it were based on miles traveled per year so those who drive less aren't unfairly assessed, but if it requires a state (like WV) to stand up a whole new division of government with staff to create that methodology, administer it, measure it, audit it, etc. and it ends up costing more, then I'd rather just stick with the average.

So what are your ideas on how to tax per kWh?

It's not to tax per kWh.

It's to price it per mile traveled.
Or a fixed fee.
Or a fee depending on where you live.
Or a fee depending on your vehicle axle weights.
Or a function, product or mixture of those.

I don't build roads, so I don't know how we _should_ be paying.

But we have a way of paying for road use via fuel taxation, even though, cost of road use is very obviously not directly linked to fuel consumption. A simple path is to have a system that's the same. Taxation based on fuel consumption is either an efficiency incentive, a proxy or a combination of the two..

If there's incentive efficiency you need to do the same with EVs, so you'd have fees (as in many European countries) adjusted to vehicle efficiency rating.

If it's a proxy, you pay a fee based on the factors for which fuel consumption is a proxy. The obvious factors would be weight and miles driven. By law, vehicles have a VIN and an odometer, so we _already_ have ways of obtaining a value for weight and miles driven. There could be a cost to (double-)checking odometers, but it's not a difficult, or time-consuming task and the sooner countries decide that we need easy access to the VIN and a reliable odometer reading, the sooner it will be legislated as a standard to make it even easier.

Another approach is to get a group of experts on roads to have a good, hard discussion to figure out the ideal pricing system, and then work backwards to a practical system that's as accurate and fair as reasonably possible.

Another approach is to give up, treat roads as a public good, and pay for them from general taxation.

But, politicians are politicians, and sat on their hands during 20 years of technological advances that have made it painfully obvious that the fuel tax system is fundamentally flawed and can't handle those advances, so the politicians are now wringing their hands and treating it as a revenue raising problem, rather than the pricing problem it really is. As a result, they are going for a soft option, because they think, as a Washington state politician openly stated, that EV drivers are affluent, so it doesn't matter if some of them are overcharged by several hundred dollars per year, so it doesn't matter whether a fixed fee is accurate or not.

Reactions: morningstar
I just registered a M3 in WV. The law was suppose go into effect on July 1, 2017 but they didn’t charge me $200 to register only the tag fee. The next worker over said that effective 12/1/2019 they will start charging the fee. So I will likely pay it on renewal.

I’m not paying for the road via gas taxes so I’m honestly fine with the flat fee.

I just registered a M3 in WV. The law was suppose go into effect on July 1, 2017 but they didn’t charge me $200 to register only the tag fee. The next worker over said that effective 12/1/2019 they will start charging the fee. So I will likely pay it on renewal.

I’m not paying for the road via gas taxes so I’m honestly fine with the flat fee.

I wasn't charged extra last December for my WV registration, but I guess I'll see if it happens this year. I thought it was $200 total, but I recently heard from someone that it would be $251.50, the $200 plus the regular ICE registration. That does sting a bit, especially on typically low mileage EVs like the Leaf. Wish it were mileage based. But, still not bad in the big picture.