Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Per Sandy Monroe 13 Octovalve manifold changes.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh yeah, Sandy is a total shill. He’s ripping apart their whole car, documenting everything they’ve done well so he can sell that information to others, making comments about the places they Fed up and others could do better, and posting videos online pointing out trim that doesn’t fit or talking crap about their paint factory.... all because Tesla is paying him to... wait...

I suspect he’s not anywhere near Musk’s favorite person. Musk might like the good [free] PR and exposure from Sandy but I bet he hates all his stuff being published to the world.

Oh yeah, Sandy is a total shill. He’s ripping apart their whole car, documenting everything they’ve done well so he can sell that information to others, making comments about the places they Fed up and others could do better, and posting videos online pointing out trim that doesn’t fit or talking crap about their paint factory.... all because Tesla is paying him to... wait...

I suspect he’s not anywhere near Musk’s favorite person. Musk might like the good [free] PR and exposure from Sandy but I bet he hates all his stuff being published to the world.
Really?...Musk’s goal is to accelerate the transition to sustained transportation. This furthers his goal. No existing manufacturer can iterate as fast as Tesla. Tesla is updating their products faster than Sandy can perform the tear downs. Musk is using Sandy to help drag the traditional OEMS into the future.

Sandy's teardown of the Model Y earlier this year was one of the reason I bought the car. Seeing it from the inside and the engineering sold me. The continuous improvement is moving faster than any other automaker out there.

I know he had to come out and say what he did. I think he and his whole company were surprised at his new found internet fame earlier this year but with the early release of the Model Y and lots of people staying home due to the virus he had a captive audience that was interested in this new Tesla Model Y.

Getting called a paid shill is nothing new when you become internet famous.

People in the auto industry already knew about Munro Associates and were going to buy the $90,000 report on the Model Y anyways.

Yes, that's why they're making changes. No one wants more efficiency at the cost of being unnecessarily uncomfortable in a passenger car...

I don't believe Munro & Associates are shills. I take him at his word. But his defense is nonsensical. Tesla and Musk absolutely love the things he reveals. New tech and materials, significant running changes in the course of months, hidden positive aspects that otherwise don't see the light of day? It's free and great advertising that they do not need to spend resources on. And don't be mistaken, once a car is launched (if not well before) the other companies in the segment know all about it and are trying to use what they can from it for their own benefit, whether they rely on a third party like Munro or do it in house. If they're not, they're at a disadvantage, won't make as much profit or last as long as they can, and are IMO idiots. Their ability to do anything about the competitions competitive advantage, given the restrictive framework they have allowed themselves to be boxed into, is the real story and the bigger point that Munro is making.

The relatively few negatives that are exposed with the teardown are the price Tesla "pay" to feel good about what they are doing and to keep doing it. If Musk and his crew are to be believed, they also appreciate, and clearly appear to take onboard and address, these critical assessments of what they are doing. All this said, Tesla collects a whole lot of data, on every car they field, throughout every day of their existence. I'm sure Munro and Associates is only one, minor part of their feedback and development cycle...

I love that it is, though. And I love that Tesla, with all its faults, is doing the things they do and in the way that they're doing them. I am hopeful that they will continue to, in as many areas of our lives as they can and for the other entities that they inspire to, for a very long time. We either adapt and overcome, or we die on this rock.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeezerSquid
Sandy Monro is a tremendous asset to the Tesla community. His information is spot on and represents the reality that is Tesla.
He is an excellent marketing device for Tesla and they have chosen to leave him alone and neither support him nor restrict him. He is truly independant and professional.

A good example of the transparency that everybody is clammoring for.

If this change is going to improve comfort..as i have had some warm times on the ac as it cools the batteries...i would hope they will retrofit existing Y’s with it??? Thoughts??? I had 2 times ac was mostly diverted and was warm in the cabin...not bad in 5k miles but still a reality

If this change is going to improve comfort..as i have had some warm times on the ac as it cools the batteries...i would hope they will retrofit existing Y’s with it??? Thoughts??? I had 2 times ac was mostly diverted and was warm in the cabin...not bad in 5k miles but still a reality

Just my guess but it wouldn’t surprise me if they only retrofit On the cars if people report issues. Depending on what part of the country you live in some people may never notice a heating/cooling issue. I doubt they would do a “recall” unless it becomes a widespread concern.

Obsourne effect.

Most consumers putting down $60k+ want the latest and best. If they know something better (revised interior so better wait, bigger or better battery pack after Battery Day so better wait, better quality so better wait,...) is coming along then they'll delay their purchase.

How many MY early adopters wanted the new AC compressor shroud after they heard about it from Sandy? All (and Tesla better provide and install it for free).

Every time Sandy sees a significant running change and discusses it (more "free advertising"), then how many owners will want/demand it? This advertising could wind up costing Tesla money.

But his defense is nonsensical. Tesla and Musk absolutely love the things he reveals. New tech and materials, significant running changes in the course of months, hidden positive aspects that otherwise don't see the light of day? It's free and great advertising that they do not need to spend resources on.

Reactions: iamnid
We don't know anything about the purpose of the changes. They could be just to reduce costs and/or failures but don't change performance at all.
And Sandy Monroe would be happier with a lower cost / faster to build solution than if it made the owner more comfortable. He is focused on how fast and how well you can build something, not how hot you get in Arizona in August.

And Sandy Monroe would be happier with a lower cost / faster to build solution than if it made the owner more comfortable. He is focused on how fast and how well you can build something, not how hot you get in Arizona in August.
I can report on how well the MY AC worked on our Arizona in August trip we just returned from. There were no cabin cooling issues, the temp remaining in the low 70s while ambient temps ranged from 90F - 118F (!!). Ours is a June build, VIN 180xx.

Obsourne effect.

Most consumers putting down $60k+ want the latest and best. If they know something better (revised interior so better wait, bigger or better battery pack after Battery Day so better wait, better quality so better wait,...) is coming along then they'll delay their purchase.

How many MY early adopters wanted the new AC compressor shroud after they heard about it from Sandy? All (and Tesla better provide and install it for free).

Every time Sandy sees a significant running change and discusses it (more "free advertising"), then how many owners will want/demand it? This advertising could wind up costing Tesla money.

We haven't bothered to seek a new shroud because we honestly don't need it and understand the car makes noises. The vast majority of Tesla owners have never heard of Munro and Associates and never will. Its sorta like these echo chamber forums... It gives you a skewed perspective of things and next thing you know, Tesla has production problems, "every" car they produce is broken, etc. I get that the Osbourne Effect is/can be a real thing... Maybe it has even impacted Tesla, based on the way they do things. But considering that they are still and apparently will continue to modify, update, and freely upgrade people (not just OTA, but look at all the hardware they willingly and freely upgrade for people), I don't think it has a large enough affect that they feel the need to modify their business practices. This information is out there once a car is. If Munro and Associates weren't doing it, others would be ... and actually are.

If the Osbourne Effect was universal, however, no one would ever buy a cell phone, laptop, or Tesla, given their constantly evolving and upgrading nature. But people need these things to live, so they get them and join the cycle.

When a CEO becomes the 4th richest person in the world overnight, and their stock increase 5 fold in a matter of months, I think a company is doing pretty well...