Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Perf range just increased 280 -> 291

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just noticed that along with the price reduction, they pulled the non-sports suspension option for the Performance model ... now the sports package is standard. However the range has been increased from 280 to 291 mi.

Question -- is this range increase in software or hardware? We just had the software update, wondering if it's related to that, or have they upped the battery capacity in the new cars coming off the assembly line?

Thanks. John

MYP with 4500 miles, I’m at 270 at a full 100% charge. Running latest software. I started at 281 when I first bought it. Not sure why that is

Same here, started at 281, now struggling to keep it at 270 it seems.. Really curious what's going on... 24.6.9 only gave the range update for the S and X, not the Y... Maybe the next version will get it.. makes me wonder when it comes out if it will bump my range to 280ish then? Or reset it to 290?? Or leave it where it is at 270, which would be a 8.5% degredation in less then 2k miles :(. I know it's all a bit of funny math.. bit still, if I did go 100 to 0, would like to see 290 miles of possible. Right now I am a staging about 300Wh/m, which means best case scenario 250 mile range. Would have to average just under 260Wh/m to hit a range of 290 miles assuming we have access to a full 75Kw pack. So no matter what Tesla says your mileage can be.. if you can't keep the Wh/m around 260, you will never hit that range

Last edited:
Same here, started at 281, now struggling to keep it at 270 it seems.. Really curious what's going on... 24.6.9 only gave the range update for the S and X, not the Y... Maybe the next version will get it.. makes me wonder when it comes out if it will bump my range to 280ish then? Or reset it to 290?? Or leave it where it is at 270, which would be a 8.5% degredation in less then 2k miles :(. I know it's all a bit of funny math.. bit still, if I did go 100 to 0, would like to see 290 miles of possible. Right now I am a staging about 300Wh/m, which means best case scenario 250 mile range. Would have to average just under 260Wh/m to hit a range of 290 miles assuming we have access to a full 75Kw pack. So no matter what Tesla says your mileage can be.. if you can't keep the Wh/m around 260, you will never hit that range

28.5 shows increased range, by these posters: 2020.28.5 update

I made my self feel better (fooled myself, really) by changing wheels, and config to 20" on my Y with red calipers :eek:.
It currently shows 302 miles at 100% SoC after 2900 miles in the odometer, on firmware 24.6.9.

Just noticed that along with the price reduction, they pulled the non-sports suspension option for the Performance model ... now the sports package is standard. However the range has been increased from 280 to 291 mi.

Question -- is this range increase in software or hardware? We just had the software update, wondering if it's related to that, or have they upped the battery capacity in the new cars coming off the assembly line?

Thanks. John
Just moving the goalposts. You didn’t gain 3kWh overnight.

I dropped off my Tesla at the service center to get the acoustic cover installed for the AC compressor. I discussed the battery degradation concern to the advisor, he said the usual thing “it’s just an estimation based on the algorithm, if you are charging it in small increments daily it will throw off the estimate but that is not the true range. So right now I am running the battery down and I will charge it fully and repeat it three times per his advice.

How did you change the config? Also do you have the long range or the performance?

I have Performance with the then called Upgrade Package.

I changed config to 20" from 21" Überturbines by creating an appointment in the app, describing that I want to change to 20". My Service Center called me, then pushed the change remotely over the air - free of charge.

I now have an avatar with Induction wheels.

Screenshot_20200726-204955_Tesla.jpg
20200609_194057.jpg

20200426_101723.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: preilly44
so - with the new software update -- which sets of the passenger AC when no passenger is present - I am getting more range. Additionally - with the update - my car does NOT continue to run the battery fans - and other fans when I park the car. Previous to the update - when I would enter the garage from a drive - fans would run - very loudly for at least 5 minutes. That has now been eliminated after the update. I wonder if this is how they are getting the improved range. Im curious as to why the fans aren't running any longer also.. Sounds like the car was gonna take off when parked prior to the update.. Any feedback here? thx

Reactions: preilly44