Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Perfect Ranger Vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
With the Model S going countrywide I was thinking about the Rangers crisscrossing the states and what image they will present of the company.

What does your local Ranger drive? Here in CA they have a Dodge van that also tows a trailer with cars and a genny in it for EVents.

It was said that EVerything that a Ranger might need would fit in a briefcase but of course they may find based on initial contact by phone or email they might need to bring parts (entire drivetrain?) that might be much bigge. Add in a floor jack, mats, compressor, cables, full toolbox etc, etc.

So assuming an EV is ideal for image, what car/truck would work best?

Last edited:
First thought is the Model S itself. They wil be self producing them and could make a stripped down version with shelves and drawers in the back and something like the compressor in the Frunk.

TeslaModelS_SS09.jpg
attachment.php

attachment.php

TS01-34.jpg
pic4.jpg

Last edited:
I agree that the Model S would be a fantastic Ranger vehicle. With the proper paint/signage, it would make a fantastic advertisement opportunity as well! Think of the Geek Squad VW, but also really play up the electric aspect, range, seating, etc. People would see that silent Ranger car zipping around town and get real curious, real fast!

Elephant in the room: range limitation. Especially early on, when there is little/no DC charging infrastructure.

Model S or another EV could make up part/most of the Ranger fleet in some areas, but it can't get the job done exclusively.

I agree that the Model S would be a fantastic Ranger vehicle. With the proper paint/signage, it would make a fantastic advertisement opportunity as well! Think of the Geek Squad VW, but also really play up the electric aspect, range, seating, etc. People would see that silent Ranger car zipping around town and get real curious, real fast!

They could convert beta's or RC cars!

Elephant in the room: range limitation. Especially early on, when there is little/no DC charging infrastructure.

Model S or another EV could make up part/most of the Ranger fleet in some areas, but it can't get the job done exclusively.

Yes there would be that with some zones. So if the travel to onsite repair range is only a 150 miles from the Tesla repair shop (and back) there are many way that could be addressed. Tesla could install a ring of six to 12 charge points at say, 200 miles from the Tesla shop. That would extend their repair range to a 1000 mile diameter around the shop. Win for them and the EV community.

Remember they might also charge at the home or business of the customer while working and that could double the range to 300.

Also Tesla has the ability to "customize" as no one else (save ACP) can do. They could modify the Ranger vehicle for long-range travel (more batteries, a trailer) in certain markets.

Last edited:
If you spaced them at 200 mile intervals, it would take about 80 locations to cover the entire continental US.
At $50,000 each thats only $4 million dollars.

The Federal government has a $30K credit for businesses who implement charging infrastructure. Maybe Tesla can utilize that and build an even bigger network (i.e. 100-150 miles apart) for use by their Rangers and those that own Teslas. :wink:

The Federal government has a $30K credit for businesses who implement charging infrastructure. Maybe Tesla can utilize that and build an even bigger network (i.e. 100-150 miles apart) for use by their Rangers and those that own Teslas. :wink:
I believe they have to be placed into service before the end of this year though.
Alternative Fuels and Advanced Vehicles Data Center: Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Tax Credit
Maybe they'll finalize their design and install a few of them but I don't think the charger is done.

I was thinking about this recently while sitting at a light next to an electric Frito Lay truck. Which sounds wild when it takes off.

image.axd%3Fpicture%3D2010%2f8%2fElectric_Truck_SideView.jpg

In the future I see them establishing a larger facility in the suburbs, more akin to a high line auto dealer blended with an Apple store as Teslas flood the market. Being able to fetch your vehicle and perform many of the smaller service tasks is something they will probably keep and since the service needs are lower than average vehicles the amount of time that should be spent at the dealer would be fairly low comparatively. I've been in high line auto service for over a decade now and we rarely see driveability issues anymore what we see things like wheel bearings and everything around the driveline. Updates on the operating systems should be OTA but the size of the facility should be able to allow future growth. Since most of their botiques are located in the middle of the city. DCs is the first car dealer within the city limits...which might have a downside.

I know I would jump ship to be a Model S tech in a second- even in a boutique with an hour and a half commute. :)

Last edited: