Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance edition snow driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently, Model 3 with stock Performance 20” wheels (and summer tires) would require two changes for snow driving:
  1. Swap to all season tires
  2. Install chains on rear tires using the Performance Snow Kit (or similar)

For Model Y, we would need an official announcement from Tesla to know if the same steps are required for the Performance 21” Uberturbines.

Tesla should consider allowing larger outside diameter tires with more sidewall for winter snow tires. Maybe allow high profile tires in CHILL/chilly-winter mode. The firmware could compare the revolutions per distance via GPS to automatically adjust to this high profile SnowTire mode. Of course range would be reduced, and body clearance could be an issue.

There is a selection for wheel size in the menu somewhere on my 3. If you get the non PUP performance (I have that version of the 3), then you can use the smaller wheels (no larger brakes to clear) which gives you more sidewall (which is why you might not select the PUP). If you really have snow, I would avoid all seasons and get real snows. I got the Tesla supplied Sotozero 3s as they are still rated for 145mph - in the snow...

Hey! I have never driven a car that did not have all-season tires and I have a MY with 21” wheels on order. Can someone kindly explain to me what issues I will face? Am I definitely going to need a set of winter tires on hand for driving in a suburb of NYC? I would honestly sacrifice the performance upgrade if it meant I would not have to own a 2nd set of tires and have to get them changed 2x a year.

Last edited:
If it really snows and you must drive, get real snows. All-seasons are best at...nothing.
That is the case for light weight ICE not for heavier 4x4 trucks where all season are more than enough. MY is about as heavy as a truck and one would think all seasons for some locals (minor amounts of snow) should be more than adequate. I will be getting snows next fall if I get the MY delivered this year as the 21" staggered summer tires will not cut it up here for 6 months of the year.

I ordered the performance upgrade so I'm expecting that the tires will be fine during the warm months, but I'll need to at least switch to all-weather come fall and until spring, or maybe even snow tires. There are places that'll store your other set and swap them twice a year.

Reactions: Ulmo