Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 acceleration much closer to P100D... in real-life situations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One point of contention is whether the in-car speedometer is accurate or, as in most cars, inflated.

This is a totally valid question. I should take my Model 3 out and run a GPS speedo while driving at a constant 60mph (according to the car's speedo) and see if they match.

My car has the 18s, so it wouldn't be a perfect comparison to a 3 with 20s, but it at least provide some info.

EC074E5A-ADD9-4D0A-B91C-C189D29BF40B.jpeg
18914E94-C387-4F8C-B723-DBE742B5FE1A.jpeg

Do you recall what the SoC of P3D was? Thanks for your feedback I appreciate it. I haven't driven a P100D unfortunately :)

I'm still on the fence, AWD or Performance.
I would say it's probably fortunate you haven't driven the p100d. Before I did, I would enjoy hopping in the leaf or egolf because I loved the torque from the electric. I could tell that even though the M3 has so much more power, that the electric tech had so much more potential in its future if those relatively entry level cars were so perky. So, I think most ICE drivers will be thrilled with a P3D.

As for SoC, I think I remember seeing 170 miles, so that puts it just above half, which makes sense. I drove it around lunch and I assume it had been running all day with brief l2 charges in between.

Just a theory: maybe the acceleration curve (if that's what it's called) is different, such that the P3D accelerates a bit slower right at the start, but increases acceleration later. So maybe you get more punch later in the launch but the start feels a bit underwhelming, relatively speaking.

For the record, I don't know what I'm talking about :) .... I have no fact to support this idea. But who knows.

It's absolutely possible. I don't know anything about the (I think it would be) torque curve on the two and how they compare. My M3 is actually unusual in that it has a very linear curve, unlike standard cars that deliver more power quicker. And I was flooring it most times I wanted to increase speed. I also didn't go from a complete stop many times without someone in front of me, and the dead stop acceleration is definitely the most stunning aspect to me on an EV. Rolling acceleration is not as big of a difference from an ICE car if you drop a couple of gears to pass.

Reactions: Carl_Drogo
Something I've noticed from the numbers we are seeing so far...

On paper, Model S P100D acceleration to 60mph is one full second better than the Performance Model 3. But in real world driving, it's a lot closer than that. Ludicrous is pretty much only useful for launches where you have time to setup the option. You obviously wouldn't typically do this at a stoplight or an onramp. Or to pass someone quickly. From what I've read, P100D 0-60mph has been measured at about 2.9s if you don't take the time to prepare a Ludicrous Launch. The Performance Model 3, on the other hand, doesn't have Ludicrous (yet), so the rated acceleration is always available with no setup. P3D with the Performance Package has seen 0-60mph runs measured at 3.2s.

So, in the real world, where you aren't taking several seconds to setup a launch, the difference in 0-60 between a P100D Model S and a fully optioned P3D is only about 0.3s. This also applies at the track (other than a dragstrip), where the Ludicrous option pretty much would never be used.
You are confusing Ludicrous with Ludicrous +. Most P owners leave ludicrous on all the time.

I get that as casual stoplight racers they might feel similar...but...

I'm pretty sure the P100D is getting 2.9s to 60 w/o any rollout.

The videos that claim their P3D is doing 0-60 in 3.2 didn't math right.

Maybe with sticky 18" wheels the P3D can do 3.3-3.4, so maybe 3.1-3.2 depending on how you calculate roll out, but apples to apples I think the P100D is a solid 0.5 seconds faster no matter how you slice it. That's quite a bit in the 0-60 world.

That being said I'm changing from a P90DL to a P3D because $.
I love how you mistake your opinion as fact. Go on YouTube and watch 3.12 runs, or get the car and actually test it, then post some real numbers instead of the imaginary ones.

I get that as casual stoplight racers they might feel similar...but...

I'm pretty sure the P100D is getting 2.9s to 60 w/o any rollout.

The videos that claim their P3D is doing 0-60 in 3.2 didn't math right.

Maybe with sticky 18" wheels the P3D can do 3.3-3.4, so maybe 3.1-3.2 depending on how you calculate roll out, but apples to apples I think the P100D is a solid 0.5 seconds faster no matter how you slice it. That's quite a bit in the 0-60 world.

That being said I'm changing from a P90DL to a P3D because $.

I just got 2.9 0-60 at the track in Joliet this past Thursday in my P3D+.

No rollout. - IMHO...that's cheating.

Reactions: Upscaleman
Why you dubious? Were you there? Do you have previous experience with this poster and a lack of veracity? Or could it be a statement drawn from your rear end?

Obviously he wasn't there and is asking for something to back up 2.9s without rollout in a P3D. I don't see how that is too much to ask for. I have yet to see any time slips under 3 for this car. You seem rather hostile over a pretty valid request.

Obviously he wasn't there and is asking for something to back up 2.9s without rollout in a P3D. I don't see how that is too much to ask for. I have yet to see any time slips under 3 for this car. You seem rather hostile over a pretty valid request.
Sorry but this isn't an official forum. The guy said something, now everyone wants to challenge him. Just leave the guy alone.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
Sorry but this isn't an official forum. The guy said something, now everyone wants to challenge him. Just leave the guy alone.

Sorry, I guess I'll just go back to my wife.... Morgan Fairchild... yeah, that's the ticket!

Seriously though- his claim is significantly quicker than every P3D timeslip ever posted, by several tenths of a second.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof (or, you know, any proof)

having driven both the P3D- and XP90DL, I can kinda see what the OP is talking about.

The 3 is lower (duh) and feels planted to the ground. acceleration is forceful and consistent. i didn't feel much decrease in the 80+% range. during acceleration, everything is solid, the car moves in one whole piece (if that makes sense). on a flat smooth road, all you hear is the whine of the motor.

The X, even at the lowest setting, definitely feels like it hauls itself and all it's moving bits with it throughout the powerband. i always having it in ludicrous mode (because, why not?), i dont know if its because it's just a bigger vehicle, but when i punch it, i can hear the squeaks of the doors, seats, and everything else with a movable joint. it doesn't feel that much faster because of all that until i put it in "max battery power". after supercharging, I treat myself on the way home by doing this, and let me tell you....that "lightspeed" graphic on the screen is seriously what it feels like. it's so damn fast all those rickety parts don't have time to shake around and the whole thing just hauls ass. it reminds me of the 3 (just way faster of course). either way, I was happy to have unlimited supercharging because I burned through range like nothing else.

so, yea....butt dyno wise, it feels closer, and to some that's all that matters (the experience), but if you were to compare them side by side during acceleration, you can see how different they end up.

I completely forgot about my dragy. it's just sitting around with the rest of the stuff i cleared from the 3 when I sold it. will need to capture some runs on the X :cool:

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA