Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3: Excited or Disappointed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla was smart and did it right the 20” will be forged for weight reduction and durability
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping.

The new 20" Performance wheel is available in the Tesla store ... it appears to be cast, not forged :cool:

Model 3 20" Sport Wheel and Tire Package

upload_2018-5-20_12-15-20.png

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I am impressed by the P3D and 3D specs; and will be glued to YouTube when the track testing videos emerge.

Regarding negative posts, I think they fall into two camps: (1) many people had negative posts pre-written and ready to submit - regardless of the specs, or (2) many people have lost perspective of performance and are so jaded - they will never find happiness or contentment in life.

Final thought on this release: LAST NIGHT AT 1AM, WHAT WERE THE LEADERS OF BMW, MB, VW PORSCHE, GM, FORD DOING? My guess is they were fast asleep while Elon Musk and the Tesla team were - and are still - attempting to perfect the automobile.

Wait for the track videos to surface; I promise it will make you believe in the unwavering passion of Tesla.

This REALLY IS GAME OVER for MANY of the established car companies.

Book it.

What are your thoughts?! Excited or disappointed?!

My thoughts are similar to yours. It's expensive but no surprises there. This is a money maker for Tesla and if you don't have the money to burn, or if you do but just can't justify the burn, then no use complaining about it. Tesla sets the price and there will be a lot of people buying the P I'm sure -- and I'm happy for all of them. Meanwhile, I just wish Tesla would hurry up and build my 3! We discovered a trick up here in BC where we can see our 3 VIN but only when we go to purchase something from the Tesla store that requires it -- but it's still not on our order page. Strange, eh?

I believe that the performance version will exhibit a tremendous advantage from it's computer controlled AWD. Coming off a corner it can measure wheel spin and provide torque to the tire with the most traction. Should provide tremendous grip and control, allowing drivers to come out of corners much faster than competitors.

I have done tons of club track days. Typically you wait until your class is called, and everybody swoops out onto the track to warm up tires, transmissions and motors...then off you go.

After the stint, everybody comes in off the track and waits an hour or more to wait for your class to be called again. This goes on all day.

It would perfectly allow EVs to recharge their batteries between stints and alow their batteries to cool down. If there is a Supercharger near the track (like Buttonwillow), it would work out perfectly.

A performance Model 3 could put many ICE drivers to shame.

The Mission-E is much faster than 155 mph, currently in the 180 mph range at least and its 0-60 time is 3.2 sec (don't confuse the 0-100 km/h time), and specs are expected to be even quicker for the production version next year upon release. Though good, the Performance version Model 3 is not in the same league at all.

Note, even track demons seldom break 155 mph, and even then, briefly.

Driving 180 mph isn't very useful. It's not fast enough to set Texas Mile records. It unnecessary to lap a road course. You can't run NASCAR ovals, and cheap cars go over 200mph if it's a 'pecker measuring contest'. Got $63k burning a whole in your pocket? You can buy new for that. Poor? 200 mph cars start about $45k in good shape.

More curious is that the Pure Track Variants aren't the fastest cars. Downforce does more to drop lap times than mph over 150, so they trade speed that won't be used, for cornering and braking timing.

Cliff Notes - Lots of 150 mph cars will make "200 mph" cars 'squeal like a pig' from Deliverance when it comes to lap times. Nothing under 250mph is setting LSR records anymore.

Note, even track demons seldom break 155 mph, and even then, briefly.

Driving 180 mph isn't very useful. It's not fast enough to set Texas Mile records. It unnecessary to lap a road course. You can't run NASCAR ovals, and cheap cars go over 200mph if it's a 'pecker measuring contest'. Got $63k burning a whole in your pocket? You can buy new for that. Poor? 200 mph cars start about $45k in good shape.

More curious is that the Pure Track Variants aren't the fastest cars. Downforce does more to drop lap times than mph over 150, so they trade speed that won't be used, for cornering and braking timing.

Cliff Notes - Lots of 150 mph cars will make "200 mph" cars 'squeal like a pig' from Deliverance when it comes to lap times. Nothing under 250mph is setting LSR records anymore.

What is your point? Driving 180 mph is quite useful on the Autobahn, which the 3 will not be able to do when it is sold there next year in the Performance version, which my friend there has set his sights on to order. The last time I drove on track, I was being passed by cars doing above 160 on the straight. Flogging a pig to make it squeal is not Porsche's style, and I don't think it is Tesla's either. I bought my LR Model 3 for off-track use and have no delusions of stressing it on the track, regardless of the Performance variant. My insurance guy has pre-warned me of loss of coverage if it's taken to the track.

What is your point? Driving 180 mph is quite useful on the Autobahn, which the 3 will not be able to do when it is sold there next year in the Performance version, which my friend there has set his sights on to order. The last time I drove on track, I was being passed by cars doing above 160 on the straight. Flogging a pig to make it squeal is not Porsche's style, and I don't think it is Tesla's either. I bought my LR Model 3 for off-track use and have no delusions of stressing it on the track, regardless of the Performance variant. My insurance guy has pre-warned me of loss of coverage if it's taken to the track.

A freakin' Camaro/Mustang goes 180mph, and you can buy one and throw it in the trash when the tires show wear. A 1998 $23k car would bump the 162 mph speed limiter. That was twenty years ago.

PS - Only Chevrolet will cover your powertrain warranty when used on closed courses.
Yes! Chevrolet Will Honor Your Camaro's Warranty If You Take It to the Track

The Camaro will pass 200mph.

Liability insurance depends on policy. None cover competition, few cover closed course time trials, but many do. Mine does. Kemper.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
According to the website DriverAbroad.com, the average speed on the de-restricted sections of the German autobahn network is around 150 kph (93 mph).

However they're getting increasingly clogged with traffic these days, which has lead to a renewal of the debate regarding the introduction of a blanket speed limit on all sections of the road, even though the autobahns are among the safest roads in the world to drive at speed on.

I remember several years ago driving with a friend on the autobahn between Stuttgart and Munich (the A8 from memory) quite early one Sunday morning, and despite the fact that at times we were doing in excess of 240 kph (150 mph), we were overtaken quite a number of times by cars going considerably faster. I've not been there since, but I suspect the times when you can drive for long periods at those sorts of speeds are increasingly rare.

... Driving 180 mph is quite useful on the Autobahn...

A pair of calipers are cheaper if you want to measure your dic.

The difference in ETA between 150 and 180 is seconds. Not minutes.

Observe: 150 mile trip assuming both cars can reach the distance.
1h00m for the 150mph car. It used 1/2 to 1/3 less energy and took 60 minutes.
0h50m for the 180mph car. It achieved the MPG of a 18 wheeler truck.

But it probably could not make it without fueling.

My thoughts are similar to yours. It's expensive but no surprises there. This is a money maker for Tesla and if you don't have the money to burn, or if you do but just can't justify the burn, then no use complaining about it. Tesla sets the price and there will be a lot of people buying the P I'm sure -- and I'm happy for all of them. Meanwhile, I just wish Tesla would hurry up and build my 3! We discovered a trick up here in BC where we can see our 3 VIN but only when we go to purchase something from the Tesla store that requires it -- but it's still not on our order page. Strange, eh?
Yeah that’s a bit strange, but unlike other manufacturers, right now when you order a model 3 it’s essentially already built so you get assigned a VIN vs building a new car with a new VIN. They build in color batches so it depends on what color you ordered. Then lastly they slap on your wheel choice. It’ll be a bit different for the Performance version and here on due to the changes in motors etc.

Another american with wildly abnormal ideas about our federal highway. Driving 290kmh or 180mph is simply unsustainable and probably also unachieveable for various reasons:
1) Usually too full

2) It gets too dangerous due to the speed difference between other cars and you on the road. You need to have a certain reaction time for breaking and looking ahead. At speeds of 300kmh you travel so fast that you catch up with cars going i.e. 130kmh in front of you very quickly. They occasionally check (or dont check) their mirrors and while its clear you move so fast that you are about to overtake them when they move into your lane. If an accident is caused this way it WILL be your fault provided that you survive.
This is NOT a track.

3) It is not really possible to cruise above a speed of 200kmh/125mph. Once you reach those speeds the road starts to stretch in front of you and looks more thin and it becomes increasingly difficult to hold the car in lane. Things like the drag of trucks and other cars start to affect you on the road and it becomes very mentally taxing. Most germans who drive fast on a clearish road drive around 180-190kmh with shorts sprints up to 250 but you will not be able to go like that for very long. nevermind the traffic.

4) The fuel consumptions becomes astronomical above 200kmh, nevermind above 250kmh. We are talking about a range of 200-400km in our fuel efficient petrol or diesel cars respectively. At speeds of close to 300kmh the Model 3 will have a range of less than 30-40km.