Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 Snow Tires/Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another FYI about problems getting wheels and tires...

I ordered from Tire Rack on the 19th (I'd had an order I preferred with another company, but switched to Tire Rack because they said they would ship sooner). They were going to ship wheels to where the tires were while waiting for TPMS. The wheels were to arrive at the warehouse on the 23rd, and as soon as the TPMS came in they'd ship the order. My Dad has a low-profile jack and a Model 3 lift pad, so I could put the tires on myself as soon as they arrived.

I noticed that the TPMS were in, but Tire Rack hadn't shipped my order and it still said the wheels were "out of stock" on my order (though they are in stock if you go to buy them on the web site), so I contacted Tire Rack this morning. It turns out...they somehow neglected to ship the wheels.

So now they are going to ship them directly to me, from different warehouses. I will get everything in pieces, and it will arrive later (I hope before temperatures get too low to drive my car, but it's not looking good). I will have to use a separate car to help get all the pieces to a tire shop, and pay them to assemble, balance, and mount. Then I can submit the invoice to Tire Rack and they will reimburse up to $100 for mount and balance.

I'm in the middle of moving (we close on the new house today) and was really hoping this tire/wheel deal would be simple.

Sounds inconvenient but I'm glad you'll hopefully get it sooner rather than later. That's also nice that they're covering your mount/balance costs. Was that because you were trying to go for the package? (Like were they supposed to ship already mounted and balanced?)

Yes, I paid for a wheel/tire package that was to include TPMS, etc with everything put together and balanced so I could just mount them on my car. I'm not getting a discount now that they are sending me pieces. But hopefully the $100 will cover the extra expense so at least I'm not out more money. Just time.

• Informative
Reactions: UltralightBeam
Thanks @DrSmile for your response detailing trouble free experience with tight clearance calipers and wheels in NYC for 12 years.

I was trying to persuade myself that 18" wheels were beneficial even though the clearance between the rim & the brake caliper is close to nonexistent. In the end, I decide against it because the wheel design of Flow One's F1 spokes stuck out slightly, which meant it adds extra drag and more prone to curb rashes. Furthermore, I live in areas where there are road improvements and there are rocks and gravels here and there.

In the end, I went with 19" wheels for peace of mind . They're 19X8.5 SPORT TUNING T24 BLK MACH, for a total of $745.40.

I went with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, tire size 245/40ZR19. I ordered it from Costco, item # ‌1059409‌. Sad that it didn't come in 235/40/19. I paid $903.88 after 4 tire discount + installation discount.

As for the TPMS, I went with this post's recommendation: Smart Sensor® - Pro+ Programmable Single Protocol TPMS Sensor with Metal Valve Stem
Paid $162.82 for 4 TPMS shipped.

Grand total is: $1812.10.

For me part of the decision to go with the 18s was the terrible condition of the roads here in the Winter. I've owned cars with narrow sidewall tires and I regretted doing so after the amount of sidewall bubbles and bent rims from potholes I've experienced. If I could I'd go with 17 inch wheels for the Winter...

• Helpful
Reactions: hoang51
My alpins just arrived, going on the stock 20s with oem sesnsors
Summer will be bbs CI-R 20s with sensors unsure where to get oem sensors.

I feel upgrading the summer wheel is a better option for me. No sense buying aftermarket 19s for a winter set. Roads here in NJ do suck but I will just continue to be cautious.

I've had my Michelin Alpin PA4s on my P3D+ for 1500 miles. I've noticed that they howl pretty loud on dry smooth asphalt pavement above 60 mph. If the road changes to concrete then they howl changes to more of a typical tire rumble. I also think they flat spot a bit easy. Maybe now that it is cold and snowy that will stop. Has anyone else noticed the howl/whirring noise at high speed?

I've had my Michelin Alpin PA4s on my P3D+ for 1500 miles. I've noticed that they howl pretty loud on dry smooth asphalt pavement above 60 mph. If the road changes to concrete then they howl changes to more of a typical tire rumble. I also think they flat spot a bit easy. Maybe now that it is cold and snowy that will stop. Has anyone else noticed the howl/whirring noise at high speed?
I’ve put over 3,000 miles on my alpins on the oem 20” rims. I’ve had no howling experience. What pressure are you running at? I’m at 41psi and have driven them over a wide range of temps 20-70 degrees F and road types. I’ve found they perform very well on smooth dry road surfaces and really impressive in snow and slush considering they are winter performance tires and not full on winter tires. Ive also driven them at varying speeds over all these various conditions and have not had the experience you have.

• Informative
Reactions: ChicagoP3D
No significant howl to speak of on my Alpins mounted on OEM 20’s as well. I ran a Decible Sound Meter on both my PS 4’s and then the PA 4’s at both slow speed and highway speeds and they were identical levels. So the Alpins were no louder according to the meter than the OEM Sports. However went out with my wife last night and initially thought I heard some louder road hum than normal but may have been mistaken. It’s neglible I feel. I’ll keep you posted.

@Superspectral,

How are you flat spotting them? Launches or hard breaking or what? Thanks.

Ski

When I first had Alpin PA4 tires mounted, I recall thinking that they were pretty quiet and I don't remember the whirring howl. The shop mounted them at 38PSI. When I noticed the howl on smooth roads I increased to 44 psi. Now, depending on temp they range from 42-45psi. I think it is a bit quieter. Again, the howl is on very smooth surfaces.

The flat spotting (i think it is flat spotting) is very mild. I've parked it outdoors in the evening it was 40deg and the morning 20deg. The tire noise is a bit uneven for a while and then it evens out. I don't feel any shaking in the steering wheel. Maybe a slightest vibration around 105mph.

There is no noticeable uneven wear and I cant spot any visible bends in the rims.

If I didn't live 250mi from a SC I would have taken it in to have the alignment, balance, rims, and bearings checked. I did have the shop that put on the tires look at it and they say the balance checked out.

I have done some fast launches from this car a few dozen times to scare my passengers, but it really doesn't spin out. As far as braking is concerned, I use standard regen and I think the brake pads are not getting much use. So I've wondered if it is slight contact with the rotors? Hard braking does not cause any vibration and is very smooth though.

Right now my plan is to be slightly annoyed until spring when I get the summer tires back on. If any howl then I'll go to SC.

• Informative
Reactions: FroIII and Skione65
When I first had Alpin PA4 tires mounted, I recall thinking that they were pretty quiet and I don't remember the whirring howl. The shop mounted them at 38PSI. When I noticed the howl on smooth roads I increased to 44 psi. Now, depending on temp they range from 42-45psi. I think it is a bit quieter. Again, the howl is on very smooth surfaces.

The flat spotting (i think it is flat spotting) is very mild. I've parked it outdoors in the evening it was 40deg and the morning 20deg. The tire noise is a bit uneven for a while and then it evens out. I don't feel any shaking in the steering wheel. Maybe a slightest vibration around 105mph.

There is no noticeable uneven wear and I cant spot any visible bends in the rims.

If I didn't live 250mi from a SC I would have taken it in to have the alignment, balance, rims, and bearings checked. I did have the shop that put on the tires look at it and they say the balance checked out.

I have done some fast launches from this car a few dozen times to scare my passengers, but it really doesn't spin out. As far as braking is concerned, I use standard regen and I think the brake pads are not getting much use. So I've wondered if it is slight contact with the rotors? Hard braking does not cause any vibration and is very smooth though.

Right now my plan is to be slightly annoyed until spring when I get the summer tires back on. If any howl then I'll go to SC.

@Superspectral,

I understand now. Didn’t realized you left it parked outside at night. Yes...the flatspotting then may just be from the increased Sipes in the rubber and sitting all night and ‘forming’ to the street/road and then giving you that uneven sound and possibly thump until the rubber compound in the siping warms up and ‘reforms’ to the natural state of the tireround. Just a guess. I never use my breaks either. Mostly regen. Only time is below 3-5 mph and/or to set the ‘brake hold’.

I was running 41-42 psi and have since upped it to 44-45 in this cold weather. Maybe that’s why it was what I thought was slightly louder hum with the higher psi...I may drop it back down as a test and see if there’s any difference. If I was really bored I should run the meter at both the high and low psi settings and see if there’s a diff.

I’ll monitor the noise/howl if any and keep you posted.

Ski

What made you both go up in pressure? I have the Pirelli Sottozeros on the stock 20s and actually just dropped to 40psi cold. It seems to be slightly quieter, but I also just hit 1k miles so they may be breaking in as well.

I had a humm originally but I don’tnotice it anymore.

Yes! Thought it was just me. I had them insurance last Wednesday and was hoping it would go away after a few hundred miles but looks like you still hear the Howl after +1000

• Informative
Reactions: brianman
I ended up doing the following:
What I forgot to order were Lug Nut Bolt covers. They're for $50 bucks at tsportline but I may try the amazon ones for 8 bucks here: https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Wh...543855627&sr=8-3&keywords=black+lugnut+covers.

Finally, I don't think I needed to get the sensors programmed, the service center guy said he could have copied the codes from the existing sensors.

Total Cost: $2,867.32

I'll upload pictures later.

I don't think I needed to get the sensors programmed, the service center guy said he could have copied the codes from the existing sensors.

Just a heads up ... there are many cars that require that the ID numbers in the TPMS modules match the ID numbers that the car has stored in the ECU computer. If the IDs don't match, then the car won't read the TPMS modules. This means that when fitting new TPMS modules, you have to either 1) program new IDs into the car's ECU through the OBD-II port, or 2) clone the existing IDs to the new TPMS modules.

However, this is not the case for Teslas. Teslas are able to learn new ID numbers automatically without having to do either of those operations.

However, universal TPMS modules still need to be programmed by a compatible programmer. Universal modules are not ready to go in a car when they come off the shelf. The module has to be told what frequency to use, what modulation to use to transmit, and what data format and protocol to use. These parameters are different for every make and model of car.

Not all universal modules can be programmed by a particular programmer. Many programmers can indeed program many different manufacturers modules, but almost none of them will program every one.

Somewhere, at some point, you would have had to have the modules programmed. Maybe the service center could have done it, but maybe not.

So....XXR 559s as I mentioned above

Did a test fit and the one I got worked on the fronts. Didn't test the back : big mistake

got all 4 with Michelin Cross climate+ mounted up : only 3 of 4 clear! Back left is hitting the caliper. But back right clears! what gives?

Ended up grinding down the little squares on the caliper where the molds must have been down just a teensy bit. Not even into the actual caliper, just the edges of those squares. Guessing that one of my calipers had a tiiiiny bit more metal. Now clears.

Of course in the back there is virtually no clearance. Front has plenty. Overall looks good to go now and the caliper paint that is missing is not visible at all.

20181204_212229.jpg
Rim mounted (looks nice!)

20181204_212242.jpg 20181204_212248.jpg
Caliper we had to grind (slightly) in rear left

20181204_212301.jpg 20181204_212306.jpg

Caliper that didn't have to have anything done (rear right)

20181204_212320.jpg 20181204_212327.jpg

Front with plenty of clearance

Overall my lesson: fit test on all 4 spots next time!

• Informative
Reactions: Jedi2155
I wouldn't be surprised if it starts rubbing if you use the brakes enough to heat the calipers up. There is no room for anything to clear there. (rocks, pebbles, sand, ice chunks, etc.)

Yes, but on the other hand there is no room for anything to actually get in there either.

The only points of the caliper that are anywhere close are the metal squares top and bottom (there are 3). So there is plenty of room for any debris to move sideways