Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Model 3 Snow Tires/Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much clearance would you recommend? I’m considering getting the 18 inches from TSportline.
I'm no expert on this, just spouting off my opinions. You live in San Francisco and want drive in the mountains occasionally. I doubt it gets subzero there, but I'm not sure. You will probably be fine with the 18s. I live in Minneapolis where temps can get far below 0F in January and of course it snows. Below zero, ice builds up on wheels much more than 10-32F. I am planning on needing winter tires from November to April. In other parts of the country people can probably get away with 18s if it just dips below freezing and have some slush occasionally. The 18 TSportonlines have documented fairly good (6.35mm) clearance for an 18 in their video on youtube. I'm just worried it's not enough where I live. Wheels with 3mm of clearance seem like a terrible idea in a Minnesota winter. Unfortunately, we are all new to this, since this car didn't exist last winter.

I'm no expert on this, just spouting off my opinions. You live in San Francisco and want drive in the mountains occasionally. I doubt it gets subzero there, but I'm not sure. You will probably be fine with the 18s. I live in Minneapolis where temps can get far below 0F in January and of course it snows. Below zero, ice builds up on wheels much more than 10-32F. I am planning on needing winter tires from November to April. In other parts of the country people can probably get away with 18s if it just dips below freezing and have some slush occasionally. The 18 TSportonlines have documented fairly good (6.35mm) clearance for an 18 in their video on youtube. I'm just worried it's not enough where I live. Wheels with 3mm of clearance seem like a terrible idea in a Minnesota winter. Unfortunately, we are all new to this, since this car didn't exist last winter.

Thanks for your inputs! It can get really cold though in Lake Tahoe where I intend to spend my weekend during winter :)

How much clearance do the 20’ wheels have?

What wheels did you end up going with?

I went with the F3s as I've had other wheels on previous cars that were similar already to the F2s. Both are pretty much 'classic wheel designs.' BTW Guy with the huge lifted truck had about a million questions and was so interested in Tesla's in general. I started talking to him about the semi and the truck too and they'll definitely be following more closely now. We're all brand ambassadors for sure...

IMG_0509.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Yankees and hoang51
Three things I considered:
#1 clearance of the brake caliper - Where I live ice will collect on the rim so 3mm of clearance was not acceptable to me. 19 inch wheels or bigger is better
#2 wheel is hub centric - All the Tire Rack whels require spacers. This video explains very well:
.The TSportonline wheels are designed for Model 3 without spacers
#3 load rating of wheel - I don't know the load rating on those very lightweight Flow F2. They certainly don't look like they are very beefy. The Model 3 is a very heavy car and winter is pothole season. Probably be fine, but I'm not ok with probably.

#2. Clarification most wheels from TireRack will require a hubcentric ring... not spacers. I have worked with TireRack to iron out their hubcentric ring issue...and can confirm they fit/work perfectly now.
#3. Not sure about F2’s but My 19” F3’s are stamped 690kg 18”tst’s are 680kg.

I went with the F3s as I've had other wheels on previous cars that were similar already to the F2s. Both are pretty much 'classic wheel designs.' BTW Guy with the huge lifted truck had about a million questions and was so interested in Tesla's in general. I started talking to him about the semi and the truck too and they'll definitely be following more closely now. We're all brand ambassadors for sure...

View attachment 355058

Looks good. What tires you go with?..only thing I would do different with my set is that next time I’m going to get a wider tire or go 245’s. Lm32’s run narrow and at 235 it’s s bit too much tire stretch for my taste...to fit a 9” rim. Actually now that I look at it...those look like the 18” F3’s...which are 8.5” I believe.

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51
Looks good. What tires you go with?..only thing I would do different with my set is that next time I’m going to get a wider tire or go 245’s. Lm32’s run narrow and at 235 it’s s bit too much tire stretch for my taste...to fit a 9” rim. Actually now that I look at it...those look like the 18” F3’s...which are 8.5” I believe.

These are Michelin X-Ice XI3s @ 235/45 18s for, you got it, 18" F3s. Thought I said that but could be mistaken.

I have a Model 3 PUP and looking to buy a second set of wheels and tires for my trips to Lake Tahoe. I usually go there a couple of weekends per year (when we have snow...). So I'm looking to get a set that will be used from December to late March that is good on dry road (SF Bay Area) but will also perform well on cold and snowy conditions couple of weekend per year.

So far I'm looking at these options.
  1. Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS - seems to have the best rating but isn't rated as low rolling resistance. Would that be an issue for my Model 3?
  2. Michelin Premier A/S - seems to have great ratings, slightly lower tracking for winter conditions but comes with low rolling resistance.
  3. CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS - similar but cheaper than the Michelin.

Any thought? Looks like the Bridgestone would be a good option but haven't seen a lot of Tesla drivers using it?
Related to complete solution in CA: do you have a plan for chain requirements?

Related to complete solution in CA: do you have a plan for chain requirements?

I posted earlier about using the Autosock on a Christmas trip to Washington state, though I hope to not have to use it. I'd be open to other solutions but to this point I have avoided a dedicated set of 19" rims. The 20" don't have a Tesla approved chain set.

I already bought a set of all seasons for my 20s, rather than dedicated snow tires, so that's a start, but I'm not sure they will do great besides a light snow. I am not heading into the mountains of Washington, besides the I-5 pass so I'm hoping that its a good compromise.

With my setup there is maybe 3mm of clearance on the rear caliper, lots of clearance (5mm+) on the fronts. I've driven tighter setups on my Evo in NYC slush/ice without problems, and I actually think running tighter brakes it may help prevent unbalanced wheels which I have definitely experienced when ice gets stuck on the inside of the rims. YMMV.

When you had the EVO, how well did your brake calipers and wheels (rims) survived from the tight set up? Did the calipers and/or wheels get damaged from loose rocks or the frozen ice from the small?

Saw great efficiency at 65 mph this morning with my winter tires. I think I can do the rated range in these! That's not easy at all with a P3D, espedially if you speed like I do.
Some of the deeper grooves on hwy 85 between hwy 17 and hwy 280 spiked useage to about 280 wh/mi, but dropped back to 240 wh/mi once I got to smoother surface past 280.

Saw great efficiency at 65 mph this morning with my winter tires. I think I can do the rated range in these! That's not easy at all with a P3D, espedially if you speed like I do.
Some of the deeper grooves on hwy 85 between hwy 17 and hwy 280 spiked useage to about 280 wh/mi, but dropped back to 240 wh/mi once I got to smoother surface past 280.

Is this with climate control on or all systems off? I can't be anywhere near 250 wh/mi the second I turn the heat on.. Even AC too. But conservative driving (not highway speeds) no climate, I can go around town at about 230-250 wh/mi.

@ChicagoP3D,

Looks awesome! Let me know how you like the Alpins! I put a set on a secondary set of OEM 20’s and they’re amazing....quiet...same efficiency as the 4S’s. Sticky....love ‘em. What color is your 3? If it’s MCR post a photo with the new rims. Love the grey.

Ski

I just went to go visit it at the auto body. They missed a whole bunch of the delivery defects, and even scratched the glass. This Wednesday it will have been five full weeks since I dropped the car off at the Tesla service center. And no end in sight. I left a message for the Delivery Manager just now — I'm at the point where I plan to ask for a new car. Any stories of anyone being successful with that?

Anyway, sorry about the rant — here are the photos you asked for...

46720481_352823565493392_1588615554187395072_n.jpg
46749218_2370702986322153_9041499499222007808_n.jpg
46798357_348740989235773_5757319212641026048_n.jpg

Is this with climate control on or all systems off? I can't be anywhere near 250 wh/mi the second I turn the heat on.. Even AC too. But conservative driving (not highway speeds) no climate, I can go around town at about 230-250 wh/mi.
I'm not ready to fully post my data, as the tires are less than 400 miles old. They are still breaking in atm, but I will create a thread about them after a good long trip where I have nothing better to do.
I'm confident the combination of a much narrower contact patch, and the harder compound will net gains over the P4S but I wont know until I test.
I always do my testing with climate off and butt warmers no more than 1. I imagine the heat on is often required where you are.

Reactions: UltralightBeam
I just went to go visit it at the auto body. They missed a whole bunch of the delivery defects, and even scratched the glass. This Wednesday it will have been five full weeks since I dropped the car off at the Tesla service center. And no end in sight. I left a message for the Delivery Manager just now — I'm at the point where I plan to ask for a new car. Any stories of anyone being successful with that?

Anyway, sorry about the rant — here are the photos you asked for...

View attachment 355712 View attachment 355713 View attachment 355714
I suggest you log in to your account, tap on “Ask a question” and submit an executive escalation:
9AB2D71B-CF51-4E46-A20F-28FB50563D5C.jpeg

• Helpful
I suggest you log in to your account, tap on “Ask a question” and submit an executive escalation:
View attachment 355750

Done. Thank you for the suggestion.

-------------------------------------

Dear Tesla Executive Team,

I am writing to kindly request a new replacement vehicle under the Illinois New Vehicle Buyer Protection Act due to having exceeded a reasonable number of repair attempts as well as having exceeded a reasonable number of business days that the vehicle has been and will continue to be out of service.

The first complication began when I was notified just three hours prior to my delivery appointment that my vehicle was “missing” and that my appointment had been canceled without explanation. I later learned from [xxx] that the vehicle failed its Pre-Delivery inspection (PDI) and that it required two weeks in the auto body for repairs.

After the repairs were completed, I inspected the vehicle on the day of delivery and documented three full pages of defects that still existed with the vehicle in an email to the [xxx] Delivery Manager. He informed me that he would assist with scheduling a Service Center appointment for the repairs, but that in the interim I could take delivery of the vehicle.

I took delivery on Tuesday, September 25th, and immediately invested $2,766.40 USD in wrapping the front-facing surfaces of the vehicle with LLumar Platinum Paint Protection film as well as LLumar Formula One window tint in the areas that I had not initially discovered any defects.

I was without possession of the vehicle for approximately 10 days during this $2,766.40 USD service, but I felt it was important to protect such an expensive investment.

After virtually stalking the delivery team and the service center with countless emails, text messages, voicemails and finally an in-person surprise visit, I was eventually contacted to schedule an appointment with the Tesla Service Center. I scheduled the appointment for 8:00 am on Wednesday, October 24th 2018. The appointment was confirmed on Friday, October 5th 2018, which gave the Service Center 19 days’ notice to make any necessary arrangements for the appointment given the explicit details I had originally submitted in my 3-page email that was complete with photos and markups to the photos to the [xxx] Delivery Manager on Thursday, September 29th 2018.

When I delivered my vehicle to the Service Center at 8:00 am on Wednesday, October 24th 2018, I requested that my vehicle be returned three days later in the evening on Friday, October 26th 2018. The Service Center representative replied, “I have to be honest... we have a lot of these Model 3s that are in service for delivery defects, so we might not be able to finish by Friday. There is a chance that it could take until early next week.”

That conversation took place five weeks ago.

After three weeks of no updates and unreplied messages, I paid yet another a surprise visit to the Service Center, and was surprised to learn that my vehicle had left Tesla’s possession and had been transported to [xxx] Auto Body without any notification. I paid a visit to [xxx] Auto Body and was shocked to learn that in those three weeks, the vehicle had simply been left in outside storage untouched in their exterior parking lot in freezing temperatures with summer tires (Michelin Pilot Sport 4S) that are well-known to crack in temperatures below forty (40) degrees. Although I was promised my vehicle back in roughly one week, no work had been done on the vehicle in those three weeks. Moreover, I was extremely disappointed to learn that the majority of the delivery defects had not actually been communicated to [xxx] Auto Body by the Tesla Service Center team. Nonetheless, I patiently explained the issues and defects, and they appeared to take note.

Fast-forward to today, Monday, November 26th, and I have learned that not only had the vast majority of the repairs I had specified in my walk-through two weeks ago had gone unrepaired/undocumented, but that that new damage had been done to the vehicle in the form of scratches to the center pillar glass on the driver side. In addition, new parts will now need to be ordered—for example, the entire front bumper cover assembly. The estimated turnaround time for those parts (front bumper over and driver side pillar glass) is another 10 business days (two weeks). This excludes panel gap issues and chrome window trim realignment issues that still have not yet been addressed, as well as paint defects that also remained.

Moreover, none of this takes into account that the vehicle will not be returned to me when [xxx] Auto Body is completed with their work. They have instructions from the Service Center to return the vehicle to them for replacement of the roof glass (defective UV treatment) and steering wheel assembly replacement (damaged/scratched leather). I cannot even begin to estimate the additional time that will be required for those parts to be ordered and replaced, since I do not have access to the Service Center’s extensive backlog of other appointments that will come before mine.

I have been the legal owner of this vehicle for nine (9) weeks, but I have had possession/use of the vehicle for only three (3) of those weeks. In addition, it is estimated that I will not see the vehicle for at least another two to three (2-3) weeks at a bare minimum, most probably more.

Again, I am writing to kindly request a new replacement vehicle under the Illinois New Vehicle Buyer Protection Act due to having exceeded a reasonable number of repair attempts as well as having exceeded a reasonable number of business days that the vehicle has been and will continue to be out of service.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Owners with performance model 3 with the performance upgrade need to be careful about working with aftermarket wheel sellers as of yet. I am currently working with VIBE motors and Savini Wheels and asked all the right questions about the fitment to my specific vehicle and the existing 3mm lip differences and was guaranteed both by Savini and Vibe that it will fit. I ordered their upper forged model that was custom drilled for my vehicle. The 19 inches Savini SV-F1 Flow Form 19X9.0 5X114 CB64 Gloss mounted on Michelin Alpin 5 was mounted multiple times (3 different times) without success trusting that it was user error since it was custom drilled. Spent 2 entire days troubleshooting but bottom line the wheels did not mount flush and caused low-speed rattling that was very loud. Even asked the local shop for an advice. Finally gave up and compared the custom drilled area with my OEM 20 inch wheel and noticed that the drilling was not the same not making a provision for the 3mm lip. Should have checked earlier during the process but I was so ready to have my winter set in operation only blaming my inexperience as a fault. Snow is in the forecast in my area since I live in the mountains of Reno, NV. Currently working with VIBE and Savini Wheels to rectify this situation. I did not want hub rings or spacers and hence went this route since they told me it was custom drilled to the vehicle and that the Vibe Motors told me that they have worked with other Performance Model 3 with Performance Upgrade before. Otherwise, it would have been easier just to order everything from TireRack with their included hub centric ring and much cheaper. So far both companies been very verbally responsive that they will remedy the situation promptly and that they will actively find solutions. The clock is ticking and no winter wheels and snow is coming. I am already vested $3000 or so (wheels plus tires) plus 2 days of personal labor along with all the torque wrench and a low profile car jack and all the other equipment tailored to get the job done properly. I am staying optimistic that the 2 companies will so far seem to want to find an amicable solution and the fact that I need to find a winter solution very quickly since I am on summer tires.

Just posting this FYI and to be beware of any companies that say they are compatible despite doing diligent homework on your part. I spent countless hours reading multiple forums and doing my homework and calling companies before going with this route. I think the Model 3 Performance with Performance Upgrade is still new enough that the Aftermarket leaders still have not completely figured this out yet. It's like the early TST Sportsline problem until they figured it out.

Will let you know how Vibe Motors and Savini works this out. I am hoping for the best for my sake and for other Model 3 owners who need other good viable alternatives. It is in the best interest of Savini and Vibe Motorsport as well since now all performance Model 3 going forward will have the upgrade performance package and potential customer base. So our interest is aligned for now. Wish me luck!

• Informative
I talked to Tire Rack on the phone today. The problem ordering was because the wheels and tires I wanted were both in stock...but at different warehouses. They changed my order to the wheels I wanted (the matte titanium MT6 Vita that DrSmile put on his gray car) and while waiting for the TPMS will move the wheels to the warehouse that has the tires, so it won't delay my order.

Another FYI about problems getting wheels and tires...

I ordered from Tire Rack on the 19th (I'd had an order I preferred with another company, but switched to Tire Rack because they said they would ship sooner). They were going to ship wheels to where the tires were while waiting for TPMS. The wheels were to arrive at the warehouse on the 23rd, and as soon as the TPMS came in they'd ship the order. My Dad has a low-profile jack and a Model 3 lift pad, so I could put the tires on myself as soon as they arrived.

I noticed that the TPMS were in, but Tire Rack hadn't shipped my order and it still said the wheels were "out of stock" on my order (though they are in stock if you go to buy them on the web site), so I contacted Tire Rack this morning. It turns out...they somehow neglected to ship the wheels.

So now they are going to ship them directly to me, from different warehouses. I will get everything in pieces, and it will arrive later (I hope before temperatures get too low to drive my car, but it's not looking good). I will have to use a separate car to help get all the pieces to a tire shop, and pay them to assemble, balance, and mount. Then I can submit the invoice to Tire Rack and they will reimburse up to $100 for mount and balance.

I'm in the middle of moving (we close on the new house today) and was really hoping this tire/wheel deal would be simple.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: brianman