Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance not getting 310 miles promised

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
but I figured the average consumption is more sig figs, so probably more accurate.

Yes. I always use the trip meter miles and the Wh/mi number because those are both three sig figs. Whereas, the “since last charge” number for kWh is just two sig figs as I recall - so I ignore it.

It’s a struggle to get a long enough trip to make the rated miles consumption 3 sig figs, but when I have, I always end up with this 230-232Wh/rmi number (rmi = rated mile). I also use miles rather than % for rmi since it gives better (3x) precision and allows battery degradation (so far, none) to be monitored (and allows use of the Wh/rmi constant).

Do you think its possible to get 310 miles @ 60MPH on 18" MXM4 tires on the P3D?

Yes, I think it might be if you can also figure out how to put Aeros on wheels that fit those weird P3D+ rotor hats. My brother in a P3D Stealth with Aeros got 248Wh/mi over 195 miles, uphill 200 feet, at an average speed of 62mph (but with a significant 70 mile portion of I-5 cruising at 77mph). That is on target for minimum 290 miles. (310rmi*232/248). So slowing down to no more than 65 and only doing freeway will help considerably and you’d average over 60mph and that may get you there (you need to see indicated 232Wh/mi). You might have to dip into the below 0 reserve a little (could probably get all the way to 310 if you did indicated 236Wh/mi and used all of the reserve).

Last edited:
Do you think its possible to get 310 miles @ 60MPH on 18" MXM4 tires on the P3D?
This is mostly going to depend upon terrain, temperature, wind direction and speed, tire pressure, and tire tread depth. Alignment is another factor. If you want to stretch the range, the easiest way is to start your trip slow and then finish fast if the trip graph indicates you are okay to do so. At least in my S85, it's easy to gain 15% of additional range using this method. (e.g. start at 10% range buffer and have it increase to 25%)

Your attempt at an explanation does not, even remotely, address the statement of fact that i posted.

:D:D:D I see that you are a Very Serious Person.

No, if you drove in sport then, by definition, you weren't in chill.

I agree with this statement of fact, but it does not appear to have anything to do with what I said.

I drove in Sport mode for my latest trip but I was essentially chill - I could have turned on chill and it would have made no difference

When did I say I was in chill [mode]? I do not see "in chill" in my post. Was it a different post?

I did say "I was essentially chill" - but that is not the same - because it is a statement about me and my driving style on this drive, not the vehicle mode.

My point was that available information suggests that chill mode would not have helped on this particular drive. Obviously only I know how I drove, but I definitely did not do any 7.5 second 0-60 runs to freeway speed (that is the chill mode limit). They were all over 10 seconds.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Neon001
Took my Performance 3+ for a highway trip last weekend, as a bit of a range test. I had the 20" performance wheels and summer tires on it. Kept the speed at 65mph on an out and back course -- against the wind one way, with it coming back. Traffic was very light so I didn't have to vary the speed except to turn around. I was happy to get the equivalent of 274 miles on a single charge, especially considering the outside temperature was just 55 degrees. I'll try again once it gets warmer.

Traffic was very light so I didn't have to vary the speed except to turn around. I was happy to get the equivalent of 274 miles on a single charge,

Sounds pretty reasonable. How did you calculate the “equivalent of 274 miles”? I assume just your rated miles use relative to distance traveled? Did you happen to note your round-trip Wh/mi? (I would guess ~262Wh/mi.)

Wow post became a tri planner discussion just when I needed haha.

So today im planning to go from Ontario to monterey, ca. Not sure it should go with my Model 3P+... since it’s colder on Northern California. Trip planner says to stop 40min at Bakersfield SC, that i would have 45% charge, that’s a 180miles route, not sure how it computed it. No way I will arrive with 45%, more likely 10-20%.... now my question, I want to actually stop a Kettleman City 40 stalls... i used in another plan and it showed I would arrive there with 20%, and is 200 miles... which i believe is my current range 200miles.

Does this sound a safe trip to with wife and 2 toddlers. Only trip I did was Ontario-Las Vegas and that was with the LR RWD... now is the perfomance 20”wheels with the bad range tires. :(

Any tips or guess? Lately I only get 280-320 kwh/mile. But when my wife drives, we get 260-280...

Appreciate comments since I am leaving in 4-5 hrs.

Forgot to say from Ketttleman City to Monterey, is another nerve wracking 150 miles, part on mountain roads i think 198 road... and there is no supercharger in between, unless I keep North I-5 route... seems pretty bad odds vs Las Vegas flat trip.

Wow post became a tri planner discussion just when I needed haha.

So today im planning to go from Ontario to monterey, ca. Not sure it should go with my Model 3P+... since it’s colder on Northern California. Trip planner says to stop 40min at Bakersfield SC, that i would have 45% charge, that’s a 180miles route, not sure how it computed it. No way I will arrive with 45%, more likely 10-20%.... now my question, I want to actually stop a Kettleman City 40 stalls... i used in another plan and it showed I would arrive there with 20%, and is 200 miles... which i believe is my current range 200miles.

Does this sound a safe trip to with wife and 2 toddlers. Only trip I did was Ontario-Las Vegas and that was with the LR RWD... now is the perfomance 20”wheels with the bad range tires. :(

Any tips or guess? Lately I only get 280-320 kwh/mile. But when my wife drives, we get 260-280...

Appreciate comments since I am leaving in 4-5 hrs.

If you’re not comfortable taking the Tesla, take your ICE.

I think that if you have a decent amount of traffic on the route and you keep your speed below 80 you will have no problem making it 200 miles. I assume you have the stock P3D+ wheels and tires for this prediction. Use the in-car trip planner and slow down a bit if it says you will be short.

To get 200 miles you need to have your consumption below 360Wh/mi. Obviously this is an uphill route initially so it will look really bad for a bit, then should improve as the final elevation change is small.

I would minimize AC use until you are comfortable and understand the range you can achieve.

On a full charge, in current temps, dry conditions, at California freeway speeds (Max 80mph), assuming no elevation gain, 250 miles is basically the max range you should expect “easily” - you need to do better than 288Wh/mi to get that - and that’s about what you’ll get between 75 and 80mph, assuming no headwind or tailwind.

Check your tires are inflated to 42PSI or so (cold) before you leave.

Last edited:
Just drove 9 miles to drop kids now, on chill mode showed 264 wh/mi... and the trip to Kettleman City would arrive at 8%... from 20% at 98% charge. Now at 95%... yea don’t think I can plug this 6-7hr trip, specially because of hills and a 140miles route no supercharger... with young kids screaming? Though.

Just drove 9 miles to drop kids now, on chill mode showed 264 wh/mi... and the trip to Kettleman City would arrive at 8%... from 20% at 98% charge. Now at 95%... yea don’t think I can plug this 6-7hr trip, specially because of hills and a 140miles route no supercharger... with young kids screaming? Though.

You could make it (note Zoomit’s recommendations- you will probably stop anyway), but do what you are comfortable with. And definitely start with 99-100% charge, unless you KNOW you are stopping; no reason not to.

Drive like you want and if necessary stop at Bakersfield or Buttonwillow for ~4 minutes to get enough to get up to Kettleman. Those are super easy to get in and out of, especially Bakersfield.

Funny that was exactly what the original trip plan told online. To stop 5min at Bakersfield then 40min on Kettleman and from there take to 101, instead of the hills 198 road. Maybe Tesla website trip planner has all data to predict better? :/

My point is that there are a lot of fall back options. Stop at Tejon if you can't get to Bakersfield. I would drive this without worry, but I do pay pretty close attention to my car and I'm biased to drive it.

Thanks, just told wife that would be adventurous and worst can happen is to have stories to tell. Appreciate your input here and you are right I will probably stop at tejon, since it has more stalls.

Having said that, I don’t have tires kit in my car, what should we do in the event of flat tire? All my cars had spare tires before.. call Tesla Roadside assistance?

Thanks, just told wife that would be adventurous and worst can happen is to have stories to tell. Appreciate your input here and you are right I will probably stop at tejon, since it has more stalls.

Having said that, I don’t have tires kit in my car, what should we do in the event of flat tire? All my cars had spare tires before.. call Tesla Roadside assistance?

You can pick up a tire kit in any auto store, and in quite a few gas stations have them as well (especially in rest areas that have a small auto supply section). They run as cheap as 5 bucks. I ordered a more complete one from Amazon that included more tools for 25 bucks. I have yet to use them on my Tesla, and they're not good for every type of flat, but a really good thing to have with you.

Hmm. Just realized it is Memorial Day weekend so all the Superchargers may be...busy. No experience with this. Something to consider. Aside from that I do think you should take your car to understand what the true range is (I feel 250 miles is kind of a rule of thumb “max comfortable” range (with no uphill)).

Status
Not open for further replies.