Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance not getting 310 miles promised

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll tell you what - I picked up my Model 3 in June, and had a few months of driving in the summer and I was very impressed with how accurate the range was, even when using the AC.

Now that the winter is here, and it's 20 degrees and I have to use the heat - I am simply floored at how poor the range is, it's like 100% worse, going 10 miles takes 20+ miles off the range. I used the car over the holidays, with 4 adults in the car and using the heat just a little, the range was like 50% of actual.
Short trips yes. Long trips where the battery heats up will result in better range

its unreal to me you guys are getting 300-350 kWh/mi(have AWD LR)...I am getting 400-500 now...I drive aggressive but not crazy...this has gone up a decent amount after getting 20 inch wheels...and getting acceleration boost....havent seen 350 since I got acceleration boost.

This isn't going to be good news for you, but here's my seasonal tire efficiency data. 20" stock UHP tires on P3D, and 18" studded Nokian Hakka tires for the winter. The last image shows the effect of highway speeds at somewhat low temperatures while gaining elevation, though. That was a drive from Connecticut to Mansfield, MA in 20-22F temperatures.

Strange enough, on that road trip I drove to VA during a blizzard and my consumption was significantly lower, though that was probably due to the slower speeds even though the roads were absolutely buried in snow.

summer tires.jpg

winter tires.jpg

high consumption.jpg

I'll tell you what - I picked up my Model 3 in June, and had a few months of driving in the summer and I was very impressed with how accurate the range was, even when using the AC.

Now that the winter is here, and it's 20 degrees and I have to use the heat - I am simply floored at how poor the range is, it's like 100% worse, going 10 miles takes 20+ miles off the range. I used the car over the holidays, with 4 adults in the car and using the heat just a little, the range was like 50% of actual.

Try pre-heating the car with the pre-set charging/departure time, that will help - a lot.

Reactions: DrDabbles
I am starting to wonder of there is something wrong with my car...I drove normally for 1/2 mile on normal streets and 3 miles came off the range and it was reading between 1200-1300 wHr/mi

This is normal, unless you had the HVAC off, in which case it would not be normal. That’s just an extra 0.5kWh of energy use or so, which is just 4 minutes of max heat use (~7kW). Totally conceivable.

Reactions: DrDabbles

I agree, about 50% at least here in Upstate, NY, with the 5-20deg weather, snows, hilly terrain, etc. Took a few 100-300 trips, they all run about 50-60% of the displayed range.

18" wasn't holding on the 1st rainy day in months ....

No wonder you were all over the road. Maybe you are new to living in L.A.... Use to be when the 1st rain came after months of dry weather they would warn everyone about how slippery the roads would be. Its all the built up oil on the road. It floats on top of the 1st rain and the roads can be very slippery, especially just past bumps/cracks that cause oil to drop off a car. Highway ramps can be lots of fun.

Don't the news stations mention that anymore? Guessing a bunch of rear endings happen all over LA as well.

I have the stock 18" Michelin Primacy MXM4. They are OK for wet driving (user rated 8.4, Tirerack: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...utoModel=Model 3&autoModClar=Rear-Wheel Drive). Nice video of them testing the tires. If you cut the tire open it has a form strip glued to the inside for a quieter ride. Changing to another tire will probably be noisier.

No wonder you were all over the road. Maybe you are new to living in L.A.... Use to be when the 1st rain came after months of dry weather they would warn everyone about how slippery the roads would be. Its all the built up oil on the road. It floats on top of the 1st rain and the roads can be very slippery, especially just past bumps/cracks that cause oil to drop off a car. Highway ramps can be lots of fun.

Don't the news stations mention that anymore? Guessing a bunch of rear endings happen all over LA as well.

I have the stock 18" Michelin Primacy MXM4. They are OK for wet driving (user rated 8.4, Tirerack: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Primacy+MXM4&partnum=345WR8MXM4PXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2019&autoModel=Model 3&autoModClar=Rear-Wheel Drive). Nice video of them testing the tires. If you cut the tire open it has a form strip glued to the inside for a quieter ride. Changing to another tire will probably be noisier.

yea i was aware of it. I came from a City where it rains 30 days straight. I know dry oil builds up. But that week it rained for 2 weeks in LA.

Almost 18k miles in 13 months, still same. I drive 120 miles and car is already on Yellow bar. I drive not thinking about it, 80-90mph on freeways. I charge everyday to 90%. Pretty bad if you ask me. Been back and forth with Tesla several times. They threaten me with I peaked here and there when I wasn’t as I knew they were checking for that matter. Drove 3-4 weeks like grandma and maximum i could get is 200miles with 100% charger.

alansubaru helped me get my numbers calculating it at 265miles total range but that’s on theory. Practicality, i get 200-210 maximum.

whatever, I’m over it, ripping and having fun and saving money for roadster 500mi range. :)

Almost 18k miles in 13 months, still same. I drive 120 miles and car is already on Yellow bar. I drive not thinking about it, 80-90mph on freeways. I charge everyday to 90%. Pretty bad if you ask me. Been back and forth with Tesla several times. They threaten me with I peaked here and there when I wasn’t as I knew they were checking for that matter. Drove 3-4 weeks like grandma and maximum i could get is 200miles with 100% charger.

alansubaru helped me get my numbers calculating it at 265miles total range but that’s on theory. Practicality, i get 200-210 maximum.

whatever, I’m over it, ripping and having fun and saving money for roadster 500mi range. :)

Sorry, the complaint is you're going 20-30 over the limit and that consumes more energy? What does the car say your Wh/mi rating is?

If you think driving the roadster like a maniac is going to get you 500 miles, then all I have to say is that I've got some land and a bridge to sell you.

Sorry, the complaint is you're going 20-30 over the limit and that consumes more energy? What does the car say your Wh/mi rating is?

If you think driving the roadster like a maniac is going to get you 500 miles, then all I have to say is that I've got some land and a bridge to sell you.
Did we really buy these cars to drive gently? Save that for the SR/+

if i drive normally for LA standards at 75-80mph on carpool left lane, i get 340 wh/mi. If i go 80-90 when I’m in a rush, 450 wh/mi most likely. Those are average in Los Angeles when we are not stuck, i know other parts of US ppl “can” drive at limit. Here if you drive at 65mph, shipping trucks will go over you.

i know it’s a lot to read, but i’ve gone and tested all the ways possible and at the end I agree, we bought this car not for range. But my complaint is because i owned a Model 3 RWD LR before, and I couldn’t believe i was getting almost half of the range comparing both experience, 330 range to 200 almost. Same driver, same commute. Tested in summer and winter. And again, they still advertise at 310 mi range i think. Which can be misleading.

I agree who drives 50 MPH, 75 to 80 MPH is really more realistic, that or sitting in freaking traffic (at least here in Metro DC area).

What I do know, is that lighter wheels and lighter tires do increase range. Those EPA stats above prove it.

Are you riding around on ~29 (28.75lbs to be exact before center cap, TPMS & wheel balance weights) pound boat anchor wheels (stock 20"'s), when you could drop ten pounds per corner with a quality mono block forged wheel and lighter tires-- do it and your range will increase. Period.

Get high efficiency rated tires (not sticky summers), and again your range will increase.

Drive like an azzhat, get azzhat range. It's really pretty simple.
Hey, so changing wheels affected range? I’m researching more to change oem 20” and lower car with MPP KW set. Hoping if i can get 20-30miles back would
Be great and worth it for me.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Hey, so changing wheels affected range? I’m researching more to change oem 20” and lower car with MPP KW set. Hoping if i can get 20-30miles back would
Be great and worth it for me.

Good luck. If you post your Wh/mi and other data for specific trip segments, we could make sense of this. However, 200 miles seems like a good upper end estimate of range in Southern California this time of year. 345Wh/mi or so for most well-used cars with 300 rated miles at 100%.

It really is fine. I keep it below 80-85mph and just drive and hit Superchargers when I need to (and don’t take the Tesla if it is a busy time!). Otherwise I just charge at home or work and call it good and don’t worry about it.

It’s not like I am saving the world or anything, but with some solar on the roof, and various incentives, and not having to fiddle around with oil changes, it makes it worth it. So far anyway, no debacles or failures yet.

Reactions: Dan_LA
Good luck. If you post your Wh/mi and other data for specific trip segments, we could make sense of this. However, 200 miles seems like a good upper end estimate of range in Southern California this time of year. 345Wh/mi or so for most well-used cars with 300 rated miles at 100%.

It really is fine. I keep it below 80-85mph and just drive and hit Superchargers when I need to (and don’t take the Tesla if it is a busy time!). Otherwise I just charge at home or work and call it good and don’t worry about it.

It’s not like I am saving the world or anything, but with some solar on the roof, and various incentives, and not having to fiddle around with oil changes, it makes it worth it. So far anyway, no debacles or failures yet.
1C855704-6228-4F7C-8E0D-9D46B3E1FC7D.jpeg

Yea just went to garage for this shot. That’s my mentality now, chill and drive like I would drive any gas, for instance my old Audi A6 2013 3.0 Turbo supercharged. But it does give a bitter taste on range.

like today i drove almost 120miles in LA, doing errands and just chilled, went home, topped 20miles when was low showing 50miles range.

still much better than my previous leased i3 with range extender, 72 miles was very very tight.

anyone ordered Cybertruck 500mi range? So tempting, but wife most likely will prefer Model Y dual motor. It will depend 3rd row space if any.

Yea just went to garage for this shot.

If you still had 310 miles on a full charge, that would give you an average of 223 miles from 100% to 0%. You probably have closer to 300 miles at 100% though, so call it 215 miles. My lifetime average is 284Wh/mi. Will come down slightly once we head back to summer.
Totally within expectations. I can’t remember whether you have aftermarket wheels or not. Anyway if you want to sacrifice braking performance you might do slightly better with MXM4s on 18s or something. But whatever. Does not matter. Enough to make the Superchargers I need, and at interstate speeds, the improved efficiency of the RWD does not seem to help all that much.

Reactions: Dan_LA
If you still had 310 miles on a full charge, that would give you an average of 223 miles from 100% to 0%. You probably have closer to 300 miles at 100% though, so call it 215 miles. My lifetime average is 284Wh/mi. Will come down slightly once we head back to summer.
Totally within expectations. I can’t remember whether you have aftermarket wheels or not. Anyway if you want to sacrifice braking performance you might do slightly better with MXM4s on 18s or something. But whatever. Does not matter. Enough to make the Superchargers I need, and at interstate speeds, the improved efficiency of the RWD does not seem to help all that much.

yea that’s other thing my car doesn’t charge to 100%... i leave all night and morning awyas 98%... 99% at most. In range shows about 289-298 miles range.

not sure which wheels I will changeto, but i Do want to change suspension to lower, and for tires might change to all season A3 Pirelli, my current is 20” Tesla wheel with summer tire. Not sure if shaving 10lbs each wheel will make range better, saw some folks claiming 7% better range with smaller 18” wheel though.

Charged to 99% for the first time. Car reads 498km or 308mi+ in old money. That's configured with 20" wheels.

Not concerned about theoretical range. Driving in low speed winter with short commutes and full comfort stuff, been doing 195wh/km or 315wh/mi.

Decent

Charged to 99% for the first time. Car reads 498km or 308mi+ in old money. That's configured with 20" wheels.

Not concerned about theoretical range. Driving in low speed winter with short commutes and full comfort stuff, been doing 195wh/km or 315wh/mi.

Decent
Sigh. I’m lucky to hit 299mi rated at 99%. RW is usually not far off from my avatar at highway driving speeds 70-95 in more ideal conditions. Heavy rain or *cold* might as well add 60-80wh/mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.