Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance of Refreshed MSLR vs. others

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla turned me from a very excited customer into what I am now. I wasn't a Tesla Stan/Fanboi but was very positively inclined toward Tesla. That does bring up another stupid decision of Tesla, at least for all of that have them. Opening up the SC network to everyone else. How is that going to play out for all of us Tesla owners? I already see jams at some chargers. Add in a lot of people who have no concept of supercharger etiquette, not like all Tesla owners are good in this anyway, and they dilute or eliminate the one area where nobody was close to them, and one of my key decisions for buying a Tesla in the first place.

As for road tripping in my Tesla, I've decided after about 9k miles on road trips, I'll just rent an ice car instead. Less hassle, I get there quicker. I don't have to deal with the stress of phantom braking, and it typically costs less for energy. I did the math on my last road trip, given current gas prices at that time, it was about the same as an ice car getting 30 mpg. So even the SC advantage is more about convenience than savings. Not to mention on the cold days it worked out to closer to about 23 mpg since my range was impacted.

When my friend who bought an MS LR got his just before mine and had at least 25 major issues, and mine showed up a week later, my hopes were pretty dim. I can't believe they would even deliver a car where the driver's door wouldn't open because there was basically NO GAP between the door and the fender. Or there was such a gap in the hood that on the rainy day it was delivered, water was already pooling in the frunk when I opened it up. Yep, a great way to start your ownership experience on a 100k car. They couldn't get the console shift buttons to light up and the touch screen was being wonky so it was hard to even get it to reverse out of my garage. Service was so backed up they couldn't even get to my brand new car for a month. They just told me to drive it with the way the door was. Sure, that would have resulted in a lot of body damage and a considerable amount of repainting. So yes, Tesla earned the disillusionment they caused. That is just the highlight reel. Pales in comparison to my friend's S. Compared to him I was the lucky one. Car spent the first 3 out of 4 months in the shop getting fixed for stuff that should have been taken care of before delivery or even a simple PDI check should have caught.

Maybe Tesla will turn it around by the time I am ready to buy again, but instead of locking me in as a customer, they've done the opposite. I was theirs to lose so to speak. They pretty much lit all my goodwill on fire.

Plenty of non-Tesla EV options on the market now, and more entering the market every month, so you won't be alone in looking elsewhere.

We bought a non-Tesla EV ourselves recently. It's a cool car, with many advantages over the competing Tesla model, but an equal or greater number of disadvantages (IMO).

Again, sorry for your troubles.

Just don't jump ship expecting to avoid all new-car issues - you'll be disappointed. The legacy manufacturers know plenty about making traditional cars, but less than you'd think about making EVs.

Reactions: Nickos
It's largely academic in most parts of the world, but the USA configurator now lists the MSLR's Top Speed as 149 mph (down from 155 mph), due to it "...being transitioned to all-season tires..." which have a lower maximum speed rating. Boooooo, nonetheless!
I have P Zero tires...do I get more speed, or am I nerfed because SOME LR's have AS tires...

If your tires are V-rated, the car’s limiter is likely set to 149 mph.

If W- or Y-rated, likely the previous 155 mph limiter would be in effect.

https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-garage/how-do-i-check-a-tire-s-speed-rating

But unless you have access to an autobahn, it doesn’t really matter.

Came with PZeros, so I guess there is no way to change that. And it does not matter where I live.

Love Tire Rack, loyal customer since '98

Next set will be AS. Did anyone else notice and find that tires cost more than energy if charging at home?

Came with PZeros, so I guess there is no way to change that. And it does not matter where I live.

Next set will be AS. Did anyone else notice and find that tires cost more than energy if charging at home?

What's the speed rating on those PZeros?

I don't understand your question about tires and energy - sorry.

I spend more on tires than energy, by a lot. Biggest costs for me on a monthly basis are insurance, tires and energy in that order.

Reactions: cmarshack