Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Plus Package now available as option or retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rover,

It's a few hundred dollars in bushings but those bushings are pressed into castings/extrusions before they get to Freemont thus we all experience the joy of buying the whole assembly and not the bushings. My upper links are relatively inexpensive to produce but you have to press out the existing link's bushings and press them into my arms to keep from forking over $220 per arm to Tesla to get the bushings.

Lower a-arms $550 each
Upper Links $220 each
Torque Links $150 each (guess on my part)
So you are just shy of $2000 in parts for the rear of the car. As a rule of thumb, labor equals parts so now you're up to $4,000. Adding wheels and tires is a big hit as well. Unlike the configuration option, you are not foregoing 19"ers for the 21s; you are buying 21s outright. Lastly, if you need to tamp down demand, up the price.

I asked about the retrofit at the Burlingame service center on Friday 10/25. I was told 15k, and the upgrade included: wheels and tires, rear suspension with the upgraded bushings, and new sway bars. The subframe bushings and dampers wouldn't be replaced, but new software would be loaded for the air shocks.

The sway bar thing is strange in that they were originally not included in the retro kit. I was told the bars were not expensive but dropping the sub-frame to install the rear made doing them cost prohibitive.

Yeah that was my impression as well, but they could simply be misinformed. I was specifically told that the subframe bushings would not be changed because of the cost involved in removing the subframe. If the subframe has to be removed for the sway bars that doesn't really make sense that they'd change them.

Hi Dennis -

What did you get in place of the 21's? Where/how did you end up selling them?

I don't think they will do that. The SC gets 4 fully assembled wheels and tires from inventory and puts them on reusing only your lug nuts. But they give you all the old parts back if you want them, otherwise they junk them since they can't sell used parts. I resold my 4 21's with Conti's (6K miles) for $2800.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like we are getting all sorts of different messages. I too was told the sway bars are not included. However, I was informed that I could piecemeal the retrofit. Meaning, I could order just the two rear wheels and have rest of the setup ordered individually and have it installed by Tesla. That would make more sense to me. No reason to get 4 new wheels! They need to have a varied pricing structure.

Nah; I got down to the SC after they told me everything was in only to find that the arms were not in. I paid for them and they are expediting them in and then will UPS them to me. I should have them next week.

No real worries as I need to get all the spring details sorted (rate, preload, etc.) and get all the dampers on a shock dyno before I'll need the a-arms so I have time.

One really nice thing came out of picking up the coil spring units today. They use the same cir clip type mount as the air units thus ride height changes are but five minutes on a lathe away :) The key question for me is if a rate change will be required to lower the coil spring cars.

Also, there are three different dampers for the 85; coil, air and P+air. It will be interesting to see how the valving differs between them.