Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Price Change, Delivery Delay, and Tesla Called me to Ask Why I Didn"t Order the P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
White and Red are now $1500 options? Ridiculous.

What I find truly unreal about this pricing change is that hardware costs have generally been reduced while the ridiculously overpriced EAP software did not come down in cost and an unrealized, currently non-functioning FSD software price increased.

I'm reading this to say the prior performance model price of $78K is now $64K + $5k P Options + $1500 White Int = $70500.
A reduction of $7500 (or the full tax credit).

It almost appears that the $7500 tax credit might expire at the end of Q3 (they hit 200k in Q2), prior to the time they can meet delivery of current orders.

I don't understand how they are now projecting orders to take 3-5 mos for delivery from order if they are truly ramped up to 5k a week, and they haven't taken any new orders in weeks.
THis is bad news for those of us still waiting to configure
Unlikely. The price drop is also in Canada, which doesn’t have the US tax incentives.

While I applaud the additional optionality in how Model 3s are built, what this change ALSO does is give Tesla air cover for not sustaining 5k/wk once reached. "Hey we reached profitability, and our priority is to ensure our customers are happy, and if that means producing less than 5k/wk so we can provide more customized optionality on customer vehicles, then that's just fine. We can go be profitable anytime we want; that's easy." From my perspective, that's just fine, but it will cause the shorts to have another litter of kittens about it (and lazy Wall Street analysts to follow in due course). I applaud Tesla for listening to its customers who were clearly wary of the $78k initial offering. Listening will negatively affect the sustainability of 5k/wk (which IMO is just fine).

From the configurator, it looks like "dull" and "shiny." Or "nonreflective of light" and "reflective." Does that help? Didn't think so. :)

BMW has something similar. The basic black is called Jet Black. The metallic black is far more popular. I owned the Metallic Black, and it doesn't show all the dirt, swirls and scratches as bad as a Jet Black car will.

So if you're a fan of black cars, then you probably want the Metallic Black. Basic black saves you $1k, but It will look dirty more

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J
Popcorn popping.... this is replay of early S days while Tesla sorted out pricing, options, delivery priority. My advice: when you see a config you like, just get it and don’t regret it.

I’ve never regretted my 2012 P85; even though I missed out on D, AP, 2nd gen seats, etc. I was DRIVING THE CAR every day rather than waiting and spinning. Got first LR RWD 3 in March 18. Love it. Second one arriving July 5. Waited for D/P pricing to finalize, and decided P price too much, and $5k plus longer wait not worth for D... I like RWD characteristics. Now would I be tempted by these new changes: $4k D, obsidian black, with white interior? Maybe, but I know that there will be a new temptation every few months. Meanwhile, I’ll have a garage full of 3s. With eternal connectivity and full tax credit.

Next up for me? Gen2 roadster in 5 years. But only if they reprise the orange paint.

White and Red are now $1500 options? Ridiculous.

What I find truly unreal about this pricing change is that hardware costs have generally been reduced while the ridiculously overpriced EAP software did not come down in cost and an unrealized, currently non-functioning FSD software price increased.
"Ridiculously overpriced EAP"? Value is in the eye of the investor. Tons of people find EAP worthy of the current price. When FSD truly becomes available (granted, who knows when that will actually happen) Tesla could put any price on the option they wanted and people will pay it...lots of people. Handicapped, disabled, elderly...how much is your independence worth to you? 10k? 15K? 20K? Name the price and people will pay it.

Dan

Tesla has NOT - and won't - hit 200k cars sold in the US in Q2. People constantly do bad math and confuse US vs global sales (or even production). All that matters is EVs SOLD to US buyers, and that key target of 200k of US sales will hit the first week of July (ergo, the full $7500 tax credit will remain until New Years Eve). I'll bet my 3/31/16 reservation on it ;)
OK, cool. That's what I thought too. Just checking.

Dan

While I applaud the additional optionality in how Model 3s are built, what this change ALSO does is give Tesla air cover for not sustaining 5k/wk once reached. "Hey we reached profitability, and our priority is to ensure our customers are happy, and if that means producing less than 5k/wk so we can provide more customized optionality on customer vehicles, then that's just fine. We can go be profitable anytime we want; that's easy." From my perspective, that's just fine, but it will cause the shorts to have another litter of kittens about it (and lazy Wall Street analysts to follow in due course). I applaud Tesla for listening to its customers who were clearly wary of the $78k initial offering. Listening will negatively affect the sustainability of 5k/wk (which IMO is just fine).

Its all conjecture on your side.

Who says Tesla was listening to customers to provide options? - Reference?
Who says the options will impede 5K per week? - Reference
Who said customers were wary about the $78K price? - Reference?
Who said Tesla is looking for cover against something they haven't even done yet? - Reference?

• Funny
Reactions: suwaneedad
For context, I was one of the first to place an order for a P85D when ordering first opened up. After I placed the order I called Tesla to ask whether it would be possible to get one with 19" wheels/tires. They said no, so I told them I was going to cancel the order. Next day, they said hold off on cancelling because a lot of people were asking for the 19" option, and sure enough, it became available.

So back on late 2014, they were listening and responding. A lot has changed since then, but it wouldn't be unprecedented for them to change configurations to meet customer preferences.
The identical thing happened to me, glad I did not have the 21". Bizarrely I did opt for the 20" on my P3D, but that was just because I suspected the delivery would be quicker.

BMW has something similar. The basic black is called Jet Black. The metallic black is far more popular. I owned the Metallic Black, and it doesn't show all the dirt, swirls and scratches as bad as a Jet Black car will.

So if you're a fan of black cars, then you probably want the Metallic Black. Basic black saves you $1k, but It will look dirty more
Hey...

You guys had better stop talking about the 2 black colors....you will be reported to the Moderators as I will. LOL

They did "lower" the price for AWD so now it is only $4k but yes, there is a 3+ month wait.

Yes but they got $500 of it back from me by raising the price of the red paint, and have delayed availability :(.
They also started charging $1500 for White interior (for those getting the Performance), which got me to order now rather than continue to wait for it as a no-cost option in 3 - 4 months.

Yes but they got $500 of it back from me by raising the price of the red paint, and have delayed availability :(.
They also started charging $1500 for White interior (for those getting the Performance), which got me to order now rather than continue to wait for it as a no-cost option in 3 - 4 months.

As we all know. Tesla is a profit making Company. Although they go through great lengths to please their customers....they still want to make as much money on each car as they can. We can't blame them for that.

I know.....but WHY is the question. I knew there were 2 colors already....hence my question.
Metallic always is more reflective than is non-metallic. People have been paying extra for decades. FWIW, the Ferrari 308GT4 back in 1978 had two browns, one metallic one not. metallic was GBP1200 extra so I opted for the non. Stupid me. Mine looked just like a stool sample. It kept onlookers and police away but apart from that.
I've already ordered my MCR P3D but I would pay extra for metallic were I wanting a black one.

Does the 2-4 month performance delivery window apply to those of us who ordered a performance model prior to today? In other words, are we waiting an additional 2-4 months?
NO!!! Please, NO!!! Honestly i do think we'll continue to have the July-August deliveries we expected. Wishful thinking perhaps, but most of us have lost the configurator, which used to mean the car had entered production.

Reactions: ℬête Noire