Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price drop on Model 3 Performance of 1k - now 52,999 [posted on 04.07.2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another price drop of the model 3 performance, now you can get it in red/black and keep it under the 55k. For people like me who placed the order and awaiting delivery, I wonder if they would change the price. Doesn't seem like it, considering that's what I signed for.

Model S dropped $5k. If you don’t have a VIN yet, you should get the new price. Not sure what happens once you have a VIN, but you can always cancel and reorder even if you lose $250. Check your order in the app or online. Some of us with an S on order got an updated order confirmation email today that still shows the old price, but the account shows the new price.

Nice, I'm glad to see some good M3P pricing for you. M3P base price was $57,990 for me in October 2021. That wasn't peak M3P pricing by any means but $52,990 is a really solid deal for a sedan this fun and fast, and with all the EV+Tesla goodness. Enjoy the car and the unexpected savings!

Nice, I'm glad to see some good M3P pricing for you. M3P base price was $57,990 for me in October 2021. That wasn't peak M3P pricing by any means but $52,990 is a really solid deal for a sedan this fun and fast, and with all the EV+Tesla goodness. Enjoy the car and the unexpected savings!

Im pretty sure my own model 3p was pretty close to peak pricing.

M3P.PNG

Of course, I did also get 7500 at the time, and some state and local incentives, the total of which added up to about 10k or so... or a little bit more than the taxes I paid on this vehicle that are not shown here (lol). This car was either 77 or 78k out the door, then about 10k back.

People are getting the same car now for 53k with autopilot included. I only bought EAP at the time because it was EAP or nothing (no autopilot included back then).

If it sounds like I am complaining, I am not, The only thing that annoys me, frankly, is all the people who jump online to complain about price drops as if they are somehow "owed" some promise that no one else will ever pay less.

View attachment 926012

Of course, I did also get 7500 at the time, and some state and local incentives, the total of which added up to about 10k or so... or a little bit more than the taxes I paid on this vehicle that are not shown here (lol). This car was either 77 or 78k out the door, then about 10k back.

People are getting the same car now for 53k with autopilot included. I only bought EAP at the time because it was EAP or nothing (no autopilot included back then).

If it sounds like I am complaining, I am not, The only thing that annoys me, frankly, is all the people who jump online to complain about price drops as if they are somehow "owed" some promise that no one else will ever pay less.
Well said. Especially on the S/X and for someone who can afford a $100k+ car...

I lost $1k on my order from 2 weeks ago, but if I factor depreciation on new vehicles I got into this knowing I am losing $10k as soon as I hit the accept/unlock button and another $5k by the time I make it home.

Tesla car price history spreadsheet:

For April 6, 2023:
  • Model 3 (Standard Range) RWD: $42,990 -> $41,990
  • Model 3 Performance: $53,990 -> $52,990
  • Model Y (Standard Range) AWD: $51,990 -> $49,990 and no longer "off the menu"
  • Model Y Long Range AWD: $54,990 -> $52,990
  • Model Y Performance: $58,990 -> $56,990
  • Model S Long Range 100D: $89,990 -> $84,990
  • Model S Plaid: $109,990 -> $104,990
  • Model X Long Range 100D: $99,990 -> $94,990
  • Model X Plaid: $109,990 -> $104,990
I.e. all available Model 3 -$1,000, all Model Y -$2,000, and all Model S and X -$5,000.

Pretty close. Intro price was $78K. No once paid that price as it was reduced to $69K; including the initially mandatory “Performance Upgrade Package” which later were optional. Later on the “Performance Upgrade Package” was included in the $64K price.

I debated on how to show it on the graph below. Ultimately I used OTM P- to show the difference. The option to remove the “Performance Upgrade Package” came back 2019 to early 2020.

Tesla Model 3 Base Price History (3).png

Before the supply constraint in 2021-22,Tesla was on the path to reducing car prices. Looks like they are back on track.

View attachment 926012

Don’t forget you paid extra for your wall connectors too compared to today’s prices 🤪

Inflation? What’s that?

Reactions: jjrandorin
Before the supply constraint in 2021-22,Tesla was on the path to reducing car prices. Looks like they are back on track.
Based on Elon's 1Q'23 comments, COGS, or supply chain, or inflation, have little to do with Tesla price strategy.
Tesla adjusts prices to match demand to supply, tweaking the former (via pricing) to be a tad above the latter.

Tesla's forward looking strategy is to capture market share via price reductions, and accept lower margins in return. Supply constraints and COGS don't figure into the discussion.
One may, or may not, agree with that strategy, but it is what it is:

1682270457069.png

Inflation? What’s that?

It's something that presently has nothing to do with Tesla's pricing strategy.
If anything, commodity materials inputs costs have been declining, as of late.
More here, from Elon:

a

Last edited: