Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Dilemma; 3 Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's software, only for LR AWD cars...it'll show up under "upgrades" in the Tesla app for LR AWD (not available for any RWD or P model).

Tesla Model 3 does 0-60 mph in 3.48 seconds after Acceleration Boost upgrade

Testing where a guy put down a 3.48 0-60 with it (measured the same way as the P)

I mean... the regular advisers should know this stuff too- but they get basic details wrong all the time, and contradict each other frequently.

It wouldn't shock me if that guy is right- but it wouldn't shock me if he wasn't either.

Elon himself stated all performance models get track mode FWIW, though that was a while ago-back when it wasn't clear if the P3D- would get it or not...and he confirmed they would.

Elon Musk on Twitter

They could always have changed their mind I guess... but all of em delivered through end of 2019 at least did get it.

Thanks for the follow up. I went thru the steps of ordering a M3 LR AWD on the Design Your Model 3 website and the only options were: Color, wheels (18" or 19"), and self-driving. The $2K acceleration boost option was not there.

I also sent the Elon Twitter quote to the Lead Tesla Advisor, who replied: "Track mode is only available for Performance Model 3 vehicles with the premium upgrades package. " So it appears that they changed their mind for 2020. Has anyone ordered a 2020 M3P without the performance upgrade? Did it come with Track Mode?

yeah- to my mind if a given buyer has no interest in actually tracking the car, the LR AWD with boost is your best bang/buck... (it used to be the P3D- before they jacked the price up another 5 grand, to sit at 7k more than the LR AWD).... in that situation neither the brakes or track mode would do you any good either way... and this way you're not stuck with the 20" boat anchors and less range either....and $5000 more to get nothing but 0.5 quicker 0-60 seems like poor value.

If you DO plan to track it....I hate the 20s, but I guess if the track mode thing for 2020 models turns out true it's really the only option worth considering.

I did SCCA Autocross in FM class about 12 years ago. The KBS Mark III race car is still in the barn. My track days are over, but I still sometimes feel the need for speed and am tired of working on ICE and energy-wasting brakes. I will probably go ahead with the Performance model with the upgrade, then try to sell the 20" wheels and summer tires, as also suggested by mattack4000.

Just buy the performance, sell the 20s and get some 19s. You will make $1500 minimum.

If you don't care for the brakes, just buy an AWD.

Thanks. I will most likely buy the performance with upgrade and sell the 20s as you and others have suggested. Who do you think might buy them such that I can make $1500 (That would be great)? They have a different offset (35mm) than the other M3 wheels (40mm), but can they be used on a one-motor or AWD M3? Do they fit other Tesla models? Do they fit other makes?

I do want the bigger brakes as well as track mode. The rest of the performance upgrade is mostly cosmetic fluff and the 20" so-called performance wheels are heavy and draggy, plus all of the other negatives I listed in the first post.

Last edited:
Thanks. I will most likely buy the performance with upgrade and sell the 20s as you and others have suggested. Who do you think might buy them such that I can make $1500 (That would be great)? They have a different offset (35mm) than the other M3 wheels (40mm), but can they be used on a one-motor or AWD M3? Do they fit other Tesla models? Do they fit other makes?

I do want the bigger brakes as well as track mode. The rest of the performance upgrade is mostly cosmetic fluff and the 20" so-called performance wheels are heavy and draggy, plus all of the other negatives I listed in the first post.

I see the stock 20s with new tires listed for $2500-3500 here and on my local FB Tesla page. Seems like they sell relatively quickly too. Not sure what people are putting them on.

Hey don’t forget that the performance upgrade comes with the bigger rotors and calipers. Along with that means that the rotors have that stupid “step” so that means the 19s you get either have to be machined or made with that in mind. If I ever change rims, I’m swapping to MPP brakes or something that eliminates that issue.

Buy performance, you will regret it later if you dont

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Hey don’t forget that the performance upgrade comes with the bigger rotors and calipers. Along with that means that the rotors have that stupid “step” so that means the 19s you get either have to be machined or made with that in mind. If I ever change rims, I’m swapping to MPP brakes or something that eliminates that issue.
Thanks. I would only buy wheels specifically designed to fit the performance brakes. There are even 18" wheels that do, like the Modern Spare 18" x 4" kit and others from Tire Rack and TSportline.

I dropped from the OEM 20" wheels at 28.75 lbs. each to 18" Titan7 T-S5 wheels at 18.3 lbs. each. The Titan7 T-S5 wheels are machined to account for the 3mm lip. I'm happy with them so far...

Thanks. I looked at their website..those wheels look great and are fully forged, so much tougher. And they are carefully matched to each application. What tires did you use and did they maintain the same overall diameter? Did you notice any improvement in acceleration due to the much lower weight and rotational inertia?

Thanks. I looked at their website..those wheels look great and are fully forged, so much tougher. And they are carefully matched to each application. What tires did you use and did they maintain the same overall diameter? Did you notice any improvement in acceleration due to the much lower weight and rotational inertia?

I'm using Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires in the stock 18" size (235/45-18). The car does feel livelier, but I never performed any before and after comparison times. My main goal for the switch was pothole protection...

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
I'm using Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires in the stock 18" size (235/45-18). The car does feel livelier, but I never performed any before and after comparison times. My main goal for the switch was pothole protection...

Interesting. I guess potholes are a problem even in CA. Here in New England in the spring, they open up due to freezing and thawing, then become invisible as they fill up with water from snow melt or rain.

Is there any sidewall bulge, even slight, to also protect against curb rash? We would appreciate any picture(s) you could upload. Thanks.

"I do want the bigger brakes as well as track mode. The rest of the performance upgrade is mostly cosmetic fluff and the 20" so-called performance wheels are heavy and draggy, plus all of the other negatives I listed in the first post."

But they look fantastic. I have them on my M3P and would not want to change them. Believe me, it's pothole city round here atm too. It's also stomach churning quick regardless of how heavy the wheels are. I also get 310 miles estimated range @ 100%.

View media item 121157

Last edited:
Reactions: petergy
OK, perhaps you are too busy to take a picture...That's OK. My main question is: how far does the sidewall bulge extend beyond the wheel to protect against curb rash? Could you please measure or estimate that? Many thanks.

Harder than I thought to get a good pic. The tire (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+) does stick out beyond the rim. I can't remember how the 20" OEM wheels were on the front side, but on the back side, the wheel does stick out beyond the tire..

IMG_0118.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
Harder than I thought to get a good pic. The tire (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+) does stick out beyond the rim. I can't remember how the 20" OEM wheels were on the front side, but on the back side, the wheel does stick out beyond the tire..

View attachment 531117
Thanks! Good picture that shows a slight bulge. I think the 20" OEM wheels and tires, wit 0.35 cross section, have even less, plus the rim is closer to the road than your 235/45-18.

plus the rim is closer to the road than your 235/45-18.

So true - I'm probably a bit paranoid, because I bent a wheel and blew out the side wall after hitting a pothole in my VW R32 (225/40-18 tires). Of course, no mobile phone service and raining hard outside. At least the R32 came with a spare, otherwise who knows how long I would be waiting for a tow.....

So true - I'm probably a bit paranoid, because I bent a wheel and blew out the side wall after hitting a pothole in my VW R32 (225/40-18 tires). Of course, no mobile phone service and raining hard outside. At least the R32 came with a spare, otherwise who knows how long I would be waiting for a tow.....
Yes, not having a spare is an issue. I am looking at a Modern Spare kit.
Did you also consider Martian Wheels MW03, also forged 18" wheels that fit the performance brakes? There is a thread about them elsewhere on TMC:
Martian Wheels MW03