Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where did you see that existing P3D- will get refund? I am pretty certain it's not the case. That would be a LOT of money to refund (75MM?) and certainly would be financially material and have to be disclosed to investors (I.e stock could get another hit)

I thinks it's because the original tweet said a "3P owner" could choose between $5k and free supercharging.

Where did you see that existing P3D- will get refund? I am pretty certain it's not the case. That would be a LOT of money to refund (75MM?) and certainly would be financially material and have to be disclosed to investors (I.e stock could get another hit)

Elon said P3 will get refunds in exchange for Free Supercharging. Not “P3+“ or “P3 with PUP.”

Why would a P3+ Free Supercharge be worth more than a P3- Free Supercharge?

P3+ still get to keep more expensive rims, wheels, spoiler, and brakes.

Both models are equally affected. If only the P3+ gets the option to trade, they pay the same as the P3- with free extra equipment.

Reactions: Msjulie and Stacks
Elon said P3 will get refunds in exchange for Free Supercharging. Not “P3+“ or “P3 with PUP.”

Why would a P3+ Free Supercharge be worth more than a P3- Free Supercharge?

P3+ still get to keep more expensive rims, wheels, spoiler, and brakes.

Both models are equally affected. If only the P3+ gets the option to trade, they pay the same as the P3- with free extra equipment.

I agree that P3- got negatively affected!
Then maybe Tesla can do creative accounting that equates taking back free supercharging with a 5K refund...so not to mess up financials

Rather than loosing millions giving back 5K they should allow an option for free Auto pilot if not already purchased. This would make some whole and no money lost on Tesla's part. Granted this would not work for those already with Auto pilot.
I agree - would be totally fine with that. Could even kick in $1K if we keep the SC. I think we all want the company to have more money not less.

Tesla opened a can of worms by now offering only P3D+ at a $5k lower price equal to what P3D- was. I'm ignoring the Free, Unlimited Superchaging (FUSC) benefit for now as I think it distracts from the general problem this latest pricing change has caused:
  • Current P3D+ owners essentially overpaid to have a car that is now offered for $5k less.
  • Current P3D- owners can now get P3D+ for the price they paid.
Refunding current P3D+ owners $5k and not P3D- owners would really screw over the P3D- owners.
Refunding current P3D+ and P3D- owners $5k should make (most of) them happy.

How many current P3D+ and P3D- owners are there? Out of the 55,840 Model 3 deliveries in Q3, how many were P3D+ or P3D-? Also need to account for month of October. If 10k owners fall into this class, that is $50MM Tesla will be refunding.

I think that is a generous thing to do for the early adopters and it will be a significant hit though Tesla should still be able to remain profitable. Refunding $5k is an enormous goodwill gesture and I hope they follow through with it.

I believe there is an opportunity for them to realize some additional revenue and offset this cost by offering upgrades to AWD (non-P) owners to upgrade to P3D- for $5k. KenF created a poll asking this question: AWD Non-P Owners: Would you upgrade to the Performance Model for $6K?

Last edited:
Wow, quite an interesting morning!

As a early P3D owner, I looked at this and decided that honestly the free supercharging was worth more to me. While $5K might be a poor value for others, for me I am sure I will super charge 60k miles worth in the next 10 years. I predict that as more and more electric cars are looking for charging the prices will continue to go up. I estimate I will have put 200k miles on my car in 10 years, and a third of them on superchargers.

I'd guess that in 5 years the California price to supercharge will be $0.35-0.45/kWh, right now its $0.26. I have a 6 year loan on my car and plan to have it for 10 years. So the first 5 years if I supercharge 30k miles cost offset $2340. In the second 5 years the value will have increased to $3150 with the low estimates. Granted maybe in 5 years I could invest that 5k and turn it into a bigger chunk if I was into being risky.

I do not charge at home, I charge at work and supercharge on the weekends if needed. If I were to charge at home it would likely add something like $1000-1500 per year to my electric bill, since we are already in an expensive tier for power. I plan on taking at least 2 cross country road trips as well over the next 10 years supercharging the whole way, so that's approximately 12,000 miles total. In the first month of my ownership I have supercharged for a total of about $80

In reality, especially here in the Silicon Valley I can easily see a $0.10/kWh tax starting to get applied to supercharger services. As more and more cars move to electric, CALTRANS will need money from them to maintain the infrastructure. Look how much of the cost of gasoline is tax, about $0.73 per gallon, or about 1/5 of the total price. Average 30 mpg car is paying something like $0.025/mi in tax. An electric car can do maybe 4 miles per kWh, that's where I came up with $0.10/kWh tax.

Basically I am making a bet that I will still have this car or will have given it to my kids, and that fuel and electricity prices in the bay area will continue to rise and that I can offset more than $5k in the next 10 years. Every long trip we take these days is in the model 3 and with free fuel and EAP its even more a no brainer. When FSD is here it'll be a slam dunk.

Tesla will sell a lot more P3 cars with this change, and that's the best news of all.

Last edited:
I called in to Tesla this morning and was assured that I will not be compensated in any way. I'm in the 3P- pissed off camp since my car just got devalued over night by $5000 and I've only had 2 weeks of seat time in it. I don't know how anyone could see it any other way.

This is not the same as being annoyed about missing out on an upgrade 6-12 months after the initial cars e.g. Ludicrous option comes later. That kind of thing is to be expected from getting a car in a rapidly innovative company. This arbitrary price change is something entirely different and to me unacceptable.

I feel you, I just got my car last week. I now hate my car and will never buy another tesla, I changed it's name to F Tesla (Not sure if they even ever see this). Not only was it the worst car buying experience from the start, they had to slap me in the face after delivery. I also find it completely unacceptable that not only did I get pushed into a car far full of problems I have to wait for them to fix, but now it's also missing the PUP. I got really taken and will not let that happen twice. The only way to assure this is to never buy anything from the company again.

That says allot considering my last car was purchased from ford and was a lemon, but I haven't written them off as a company over all (they are not on my good side right now). Took delivery 9 days ago and still have a huge list of things I'm waiting for the service department and body shop to fix. I feel like delivery isn't complete until my issues are addressed, and my passenger door closes properly. Is that too much to ask for? From my perspective I getting charged $5000k more and delivery hasn't even been completed. Oh I should just accept it right?

While it might not be illegal for them to do this it's very wrong and I can't understand why anyone would put up with it "oh well just 5k". For a 5k difference I could have kept my volt and given it to my wife as she also needs a new car but was thinking about getting a Y.

We are being punished for giving them a deposit a year and 1/2 - 2 years+ in advance, and not only do we not get the upgrade but instead we get someone else's rejected car. If they are giving 5k off the the PUP people then why not a free PUP upgrade for those that purchased the P3D- less than a month ago. I guess I'm a second class citizen? Why should I tolerate such practices?

Looks like I won't be keeping the tesla for 10+ years after all.

We all need to remember this is not a traditional car buying experience where you missed the sale at the dealership. For us we are told when we will get the car for the price we paid, we have no say in that. Pretty sure tesla hates me for some reason.

Last edited:
I'm in the P3D- category and had to take delivery today, I was guaranteed by Tesla directly late the the day that I will be getting a check for $5k if that is what I want to do to settle this vs. supercharging. So i ended up taking delivery of the car after they were able to confirm that for me. It seems like they are sorting this all out and I had my delivery manager talk to them as well to confirm that I am covered. It might be a special situation of taking delivery the very day the change went live but they seemed to assume we I was OK for the rebate.

I'm in the P3D- category and had to take delivery today, I was guaranteed by Tesla directly late the the day that I will be getting a check for $5k if that is what I want to do to settle this vs. supercharging. So i ended up taking delivery of the car after they were able to confirm that for me. It seems like they are sorting this all out and I had my delivery manager talk to them as well to confirm that I am covered. It might be a special situation of taking delivery the very day the change went live but they seemed to assume we I was OK for the rebate.

Hope this applies to all P3D- owners. The price drop didn’t bother me, but if they give special treatment only to previous P3D+ owners, then that will.

I'm just catching up after a 48 hour internet free zone.

This initially feels like a kick in the nuts, but it's a familiar one. It's not that different than times I've bought a computer or some other gadget and a few weeks later a better one is available. I'm not sure the free supercharging is worth $5k and I definitely would not have bought a package of lifetime supercharging for $5k, especially as it's not transferable.

Even so, I was willing to pay what I paid when I paid it and the fact than someone else can get the same car for less doesn't really effect me.

Hope this applies to all P3D- owners. The price drop didn’t bother me, but if they give special treatment only to previous P3D+ owners, then that will.

I feel you, I just got my car last week. I now hate my car and will never buy another tesla, I changed it's name to F Tesla (Not sure if they even ever see this). Not only was it the worst car buying experience from the start, they had to slap me in the face after delivery. I also find it completely unacceptable that not only did I get pushed into a car far full of problems I have to wait for them to fix, but now it's also missing the PUP. I got really taken and will not let that happen twice. The only way to assure this is to never buy anything from the company again.

That says allot considering my last car was purchased from ford and was a lemon, but I haven't written them off as a company over all (they are not on my good side right now). Took delivery 9 days ago and still have a huge list of things I'm waiting for the service department and body shop to fix. I feel like delivery isn't complete until my issues are addressed, and my passenger door closes properly. Is that too much to ask for? From my perspective I getting charged $5000k more and delivery hasn't even been completed. Oh I should just accept it right?

While it might not be illegal for them to do this it's very wrong and I can't understand why anyone would put up with it "oh well just 5k". For a 5k difference I could have kept my volt and given it to my wife as she also needs a new car but was thinking about getting a Y.

We are being punished for giving them a deposit a year and 1/2 - 2 years+ in advance, and not only do we not get the upgrade but instead we get someone else's rejected car. If they are giving 5k off the the PUP people then why not a free PUP upgrade for those that purchased the P3D- less than a month ago. I guess I'm a second class citizen? Why should I tolerate such practices?

Looks like I won't be keeping the tesla for 10+ years after all.

We all need to remember this is not a traditional car buying experience where you missed the sale at the dealership. For us we are told when we will get the car for the price we paid, we have no say in that. Pretty sure tesla hates me for some reason.

Are you seriously in the position of no free supercharging, and no eligibility for 5K refund?

I was really under the impression Elon would just push out free unlimited supercharging to all Performance Model 3s before the price drop?

Trying to understand the exact scenario to see how we can all help.

I suspect $5K refund would apply to all P- and P+. Can't see why it wouldn't.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Are you seriously in the position of no free supercharging, and no eligibility for 5K refund?

I was really under the impression Elon would just push out free unlimited supercharging to all Performance Model 3s before the price drop?

Trying to understand the exact scenario to see how we can all help.
I don't know if I have free supercharging or not. When I changed from AWD to performance (big mistake!) it required a referral code for the free supercharging. Apparently they screwed up applying my friends referral code when assigning me the second vin (I purhcased through his referral link). They told me they opened a case but that is all I know. Now we are getting told that the 5k will only be for the P3D+ making my configuration the absolute worst value ever. I paid $500 more for the white interior too, but since I ordered in june I did get $500 off what they are currently asking for white paint, but $500 more than it originally cost, so I guess that's a wash. $500 is $500 but 5k is a magnitude more.

5k more for a car with a bunch of issues is even worse. I guess I can upgrade to the PUP at some point for something like 8k right? So I guess I could still get PUP, it will just cost me 8k or whatever more than everyone else because I let them talk me into taking the second car delivered. If I would have rejected it, I would probably have gotten PUP and a car without issues. And just like that 5k is gone.

Last edited:
I don't know if I have free supercharging or not. When I changed from AWD to performance (big mistake!) it required a referral code for the free supercharging. Apparently they screwed up applying my friends referral code when assigning me the second vin (I purhcased through his referral link). They told me they opened a case but that is all I know. Now we are getting told that the 5k will only be for the P3D+ making my configuration the absolute worst value ever. I paid $500 more for the white interior too, but since I ordered in june I did get $500 off what they are currently asking for white paint, but $500 more than it originally cost, so I guess that's a wash. $500 is $500 but 5k is a magnitude more.

I don't believe whoever told you P3- wasn't eligible has the final say.

If Tesla was rational and have time to discuss, it should be obvious they:

Divide P owners regardless of tiers into two camps:

1 - Pre PUP bundle

ALL get free supercharging or 5K rebate. Codes, no codes, all that crap doesn't matter. It's a clear event to determine A/B

2 - Post price drops

NOTHING (those bastards.) ;)

Best deal - basically $59k sticker for 3P.

Reactions: RyanT