Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a P3D+ and don’t think your P3D- is a dated obsolete model. It’s becoming a unicorn with the combo of great acceleration and better range. And if the $5k works out, you can buy aftermarket parts to achieve or exceed the braking and handling of the stock P3D+.
I guess, by the time the car is back from having the delivery issues taken care of they will probably be giving out free autopilot too for an additional kick the to nuts.

• Funny
Reactions: whatthe2
I wonder if I should sell my P3D- as was suggested when it gets back from the shop getting delivery issues resolved. Hopefully I'll actually have the car I paid to much for before the end of the month, but it could go into next month I guess.
I do not know if you are asking a rhetorical question, are just totally wandering around in the dark, or are just venting.

You would lose a lot selling your car. Did you keep it long enough to be eligible for the tax credits? If so, then best you could do is list it for price you paid less tax credits. Someone who wants your exact car NOW and doesn't mind it slightly used might buy it. You would still be out sales tax and registration/delivery/admin charges. That's the BEST you could do. You would probably do much worse than that.

That's not just the case for a Tesla. That is true for 99.9% of all cars. (the only exception maybe being ultra exclusive vehicles, say a high demand, low production Ferrari).

So, I think you should put that idea out of your head... and enjoy driving your P3D Stealth. I have one too, it is a fantastic car. Drive and enjoy it for 5 or 6 years at least. My plan is 10+. Take some trips, use your unlimited supercharging. Or if Tesla offers a refund or credit, take it. Otherwise, just mentally write it off.

I guarantee you can torture yourself and the effect will be much worse than $5,000. Heck, from all of your upset posts, I'd say your pharma or analyst bill is going to be more than that annually:):):)!

• Love
Reactions: Msjulie
I do not know if you are asking a rhetorical question, are just totally wandering around in the dark, or are just venting.

You would lose a lot selling your car. Did you keep it long enough to be eligible for the tax credits? If so, then best you could do is list it for price you paid less tax credits. Someone who wants your exact car NOW and doesn't mind it slightly used might buy it. You would still be out sales tax and registration/delivery/admin charges. That's the BEST you could do. You would probably do much worse than that.

That's not just the case for a Tesla. That is true for 99.9% of all cars. (the only exception maybe being ultra exclusive vehicles, say a high demand, low production Ferrari).

So, I think you should put that idea out of your head... and enjoy driving your P3D Stealth. I have one too, it is a fantastic car. Drive and enjoy it for 5 or 6 years at least. My plan is 10+. Take some trips, use your unlimited supercharging. Or if Tesla offers a refund or credit, take it. Otherwise, just mentally write it off.

I guarantee you can torture yourself and the effect will be much worse than $5,000. Heck, from all of your upset posts, I'd say your pharma or analyst bill is going to be more than that annually:):):)!
Just under allot of stress and venting, too many projects not enough time. It would be nice if tesla could just give me an answer or a confirmation they are receiving my msgs so I can move on.

Your right though, the loss in selling it (by the time I get it back from the delivery center), would be more than it would cost to upgrade to PUP and eat the $5k loss. (about $15k?)

As a P3D- owner I emailed [email protected] and got a response in 24 hours. I made it very clear I did not purchase the performance upgrade. This is the response:

"I'd be happy to help with that; the $5000.00 refund does revoke your lifetime of free supercharging on your vehicle that's not included in the reduced price performance Model 3's would you still like me to submit your request ?"

So I guess it radically depends who's working that day. Guess I'll be getting the $5K.

Unless Elon Musk or Robyn Denholm answered the email / picked up the phone - you are in the same queue as everyone else I believe.

They collect all the interested parties and then figure out the gameplan and apply once and for all I think.

Those who held off taking deliveries win the most. :/

Reactions: P85_DA
Or Tesla can pull the "post delivery tow kit install" option that is infinitely 'out of stock'. How is it out of stock.... every Model X produced has this standard now.

Tesla is not going to retrofit P3- cars. If they do it, the minimum entry is going to be $7,500. Effectively insuring no one goes for it.

$7,000 for EAP post delivery is not designed to force out post purchase buyers, its to coerce new vehicle buyers in at 5000.

Tesla either has no idea how to price things or they are next level at pricing things. ;)

View attachment 350838

@tomas , @MXWing

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember early Model S vehicles that couldn't use Ludicrous mode due to the parts used. However, Tesla allowed those owners to upgrade their car for $2k or some such figure. Sorry for butchering the info, I'm too lazy to go look it up.

The thought I'm having, and I concede this isn't apples to apples, is that if Tesla were willing to upgrade an existing vehicle for what I'm guessing was quite a bit more than $2k worth of parts when it came to those older Model S, maybe they would do the same for 3P owners without PUP?

And to risk rubbing more salt into the wounds of P3D- owners Tesla released some information on track mode that is supposed to be released today: How Track Mode Works

But from Motor Trend: Tesla Model 3 Performance Track Mode (Release Version): Ludicrous Handling - Motor Trend

Today—November 8—Tesla expects this "Release Version" software to be accessible to owners of all Model 3 Performance cars (with the redundant-sounding Performance option, now standard).

So it sounds like P3D- owners won't be getting track mode. (At least at this time.) My guess is that the brakes just aren't up to the task. (Not to mention the stock tires.)

It is unfortunate but I am so glad I got the PUP now. I will guess the issue is that the stock, non PUP brakes just aren't up to the thermal load of track mode, and there would be a risk of overcooking them. You might not realize that Tesla has been heating those brakes up all lap, using them to act as a LSD. When you get to that braking section, you come in with already faded brakes, even though you might not have touched them yourself at all.

Also, track mode expects the brakes to have a certain capacity, and therefore it might have a hard time adapting to a much lower thermal limit of the stock brakes.

The tweet did mention that all P3 cars will get track mode, but also said that there would be an upgrade required, likely brakes.

Reactions: MP3Mike
It is unfortunate but I am so glad I got the PUP now. I will guess the issue is that the stock, non PUP brakes just aren't up to the thermal load of track mode, and there would be a risk of overcooking them. You might not realize that Tesla has been heating those brakes up all lap, using them to act as a LSD. When you get to that braking section, you come in with already faded brakes, even though you might not have touched them yourself at all.

Also, track mode expects the brakes to have a certain capacity, and therefore it might have a hard time adapting to a much lower thermal limit of the stock brakes.

The tweet did mention that all P3 cars will get track mode, but also said that there would be an upgrade required, likely brakes.
So brakes and wheels, because our wheels are too small for the larger brakes... Oh and then linkages too, since those are required for the larger wheels?

Suck, so Elon lied about track mode for all performance models? They really should do a free PUP upgrade then.
Here's a lens you have to use for *every* product related announcement from Musk: He consistently makes statements like "all Model S performance" or "all Model 3 performance" meaning -- in fact all -- that are being produced from here on out. Anything produced before his "announcements" may or may not apply. This has been consistent since day 1. I won't bore you with all of the specific incidents, but I have now been caught on the wrong side of 2 of them. Still an advocate, still love my cars, but that doesn't take all the sting out of it when you just miss a product improvement.

Do not get your hopes up on a free PUP upgrade. Just do the math.

And to risk rubbing more salt into the wounds of P3D- owners Tesla released some information on track mode that is supposed to be released today: How Track Mode Works

But from Motor Trend: Tesla Model 3 Performance Track Mode (Release Version): Ludicrous Handling - Motor Trend

So it sounds like P3D- owners won't be getting track mode. (At least at this time.) My guess is that the brakes just aren't up to the task. (Not to mention the stock tires.)
HA HA, that Motor Trend article shows a beautiful silver P3, which I HAVE, and YOU CAN'T BUY!!!!
Since I'm not going to track my car anyway, and I really shouldn't kill pedestrians and bicyclists... i'd much rather have my SILVER P3D Stealth than all that other mumbo jumbo.

<continuing to develop my rationalizations for not being too pissed about the situation... soon to be hogging a supercharger near you unless I get a refund/credit!!>

@tomas , @MXWing

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember early Model S vehicles that couldn't use Ludicrous mode due to the parts used. However, Tesla allowed those owners to upgrade their car for $2k or some such figure. Sorry for butchering the info, I'm too lazy to go look it up.

The thought I'm having, and I concede this isn't apples to apples, is that if Tesla were willing to upgrade an existing vehicle for what I'm guessing was quite a bit more than $2k worth of parts when it came to those older Model S, maybe they would do the same for 3P owners without PUP?

That was a totally different Tesla era. Early Model S is 20,000 cars a year not 20,000 Model 3's in a month.

I hate to see anyone unhappy but trying to analyze it from the outside in I am thinking:

0 - Elon's tweets are contradictory, and not all of them can be strung together for one coherent message.
1 - Tesla deprioritizes track mode in a big way. It's not that much in demand and only adds contention in a still critical time period. We won't hear about it for 6 months. If Tesla is under huge competitive pressure, they may say OK - Track Mode now on Model 3 Performance. And by Model 3 Performance, there is only one version that counts - the one being sold.
2 - Tesla ignores 3P- buyers. If they can ignore something with 100x the outrage (in relative terms), not doing anything for 3P- buyers is easy.
3 - Tesla just goes "have it at - track mode for all". No warranty for 3P- (possibly 3P+ as well) if you turn it on. Whatever you do is on you.

The LEAST likely outcome I see is Tesla doing retrofits. It's not worth any amount of money to Tesla that would make any sense to the car owners.

We will see if I am wrong, but this is what I think would be the courses of action.

@tomas , @MXWing

I do not remember the specifics, as my car was not impacted... but I do think I recall a whole bunch of people upset about something like that at one time. Hopefully someone who knows will weigh in. I do recall there was one such thing where Tesla announced upgrades, but then took forever and a day to deliver any - by which time people just got on with their lives.

Last comment of the day about this.

This is the two edged sword of Just In Time product improvements, software upgrades, and pricing changes. In the traditional auto world, you buy a model year car, and it has what it has. As the end of model year approaches, the car is discounted in anticipation of a new model year update. Everybody knows the dance. With Tesla, it comes when it comes. That is a great thing with respect to software upgrades. It is lovely getting new features 6 years after I purchased my S. However it is dangerous with respect to hardware and pricing changes.

Tesla's attitude seems to be "that's how we've always done it", but they need to realize that they are entering the mass market, and the mass market is not as tolerant of new approaches as the early adopter S/X buyers. Very few S/X buyers are at the edge of their finances when they buy the car. I suspect many more 3/Y and other future Tesla buyers are MUCH more cost-conscious and therefore much easier to alienate if you kick them in the wallet.

If I were consulting to Tesla, I'd say it is time to rethink product improvement and pricing change approach. Maybe not all the way to annual updates, but something that doesn't catch people off guard. They may still make this current situation right with some combination of refunds/credits/upgrades. But they also need to think about a way to avoid doing it again.

Last edited:
Reactions: caskater47
Customer Support Tesla [email protected] via s23pvkx0cp68.5-6dxxeaq.na55.bnc.salesforce.com
2:33 PM (0 minutes ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

Hello Justin,

Thank you for contacting Tesla Support.

Tesla typically adjusts pricing as we find more efficiencies in manufacturing. In an effort to be transparent, we adjust the prices of our products to pass along the savings to our customers. This is in the spirit of continuous innovation and improvement.

Vehicles equipped with Performance Upgrades Package are eligible for this refund in exchange for Free, Unlimited Supercharging.

I have ensured that you do take benefit from Free, Unlimited Supercharging as an early adopter of Model 3 Performance. We hope you enjoy your Model 3 for all of the features you do have.

We thank you for your commitment to transitioning our planet to sustainable energy.

Sincerely,
Tesla Support | 24/7 Customer Support: 877-798-3752
EvlYE-qbup95NIubqOEmSMEHrZvpjEf53w9XheReHwwr7gdQa7i29SWES6Ug1ec_3KzO4GxYwFfZ47xS3atoCnJKHDbfUzelx061v4aZdaUdWUK0TgqbJKX-PuXdCv0KX4Jwr-9Rps4ih4Np99UFztTCgH3uFw=s0-d-e1-ft

There you have it P3D- owners get nothing.

So if your waiting on deliver for a P3D- I would like to hear what you are going to do.

Will you cancel the order and take the $2500 hit and re-order the P3D, or will you accept delivery and take the hit of not having the wheels and brakes, pedals, spoiler, suspension and track mode?