Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It wasn't the plan originally to bring track mode to 3P-.

It doesn't take deep analytical skills to see that Tesla built/validated everything on the 3P+ and you never saw any "track demos" with cars that share the same brakes, wheels, tires and suspension as the 3MR.

It wasn't just "general software" you can just throw on any Tesla. By that logic, AWD should be able to get track mode software as well.

Musk *might* just release the software just to appease the whiners but that wasn't the plan. The rational move actually is to ignore the noise and prioritize what will benefit the most amount of people.

-Maximum production ramp scaling up instead of out domestically.
-Production overseas to minimize tariffs/duties and reduction of supply chain logistics.
-Solidifying EAP
-HW3 chip release

If it wasn’t the plan for all Performance to have TM then 3P- should have been an upgrade to 3D and there never would have been any confusion, but an $11k upgrade to the 3D would have never sold period. Which is why 3P- should get $5k back or the minimum parts needed to make the TM 3P+ has now work.

If it wasn’t the plan for all Performance to have TM then 3P- should have been an upgrade to 3D and there never would have been any confusion, but an $11k upgrade to the 3D would have never sold period. Which is why 3P- should get $5k back or the minimum parts needed to make the TM 3P+ has now work.

Honestly, it was always a question if TM was coming to any car. It wasnt promised on the website, on the MVPA or the Maroney.

Tesla could have decided they couldn’t solve enough edge case issues for owners or couldn’t absorb the potential liability and warranty issues.

What we would speculate within reason is 100% it goes to 3P+. It was less than 100% for 3P-.

Bingo, I went through these exact thoughts as well. That said I do believe P3D- will get track mode.

It could be done just to placate people. Though mitigating factors will be 3P- install base, and how much work is involved.

There’s no doubt Tesla could have done better on product differentiation. Tesla would have sold more + and we would have less upset people if tbey said future unspecified upgrades exclusive to performance plus or something.

I think the assumption that PUP was the answer to insure future performance was unclear, Elon stated in mid July that a staggered setup with sticky tires would result in quicker performance (albeit in relation to acceleration). As of late Randy Pobst worked with Tesla engineers using wider, stickier tires and Brembo brake pads. Early adopters could conclude that changes would need to be made anyway, so saving $5K could go towards that cost.

Reactions: Perry and MarkS22
Here's how the FUSC situation works:
1) Someone hangs a carrot out and says: "You can have this but you gotta be quick". You get it. You earned it.
2) The head of the carrot company then says: "Free carrots for all - and you can exchange them for apples if you want!"
3) The earned-carrot owner then says: "How about them apples!?"
4) The company admin-types then say: "No! Those are early earned carrots, not the newly gifted free ones - go FUSC yourself!"
That's where those owners with early FUSC are at (I got the FUSC-off email) - and we haven't even discussed the price of those performance donkeys yet - some with the fancy shoes, some without.

I'm loath to giving up my earned donkey feed :) - and I want price-for-donkey equity too (but let's put that discussion aside for now.)

Last edited:
Why are so many hell bent on Track Mode? I have a P3+ with Track Mode and havent used it.

Track mode=for the track. I can't imagine all you griping about it will ever actually make it to the track so why all the whining?
Then you aren't the typical performance minded buyer. My housing development is right next to a country road with a large paved pullout area. Every weekend I can hear guys in their mustangs and challengers out there having their fun. To not be able to get a little loose in the rear when you want to in a performance car takes some of the fun of ownership out of it.

Here's how the FUSC situation works:
1) Someone hangs a carrot out and says: "You can have this but you gotta be quick". You get it. You earned it.
2) The head of the carrot company then says: "Free carrots for all - and you can exchange them for apples if you want!"
3) The earned-carrot owner then says: "How about them apples!?"
4) The company admin-types then say: "No! Those are early earned carrots, not the newly gifted free ones - go FUSC yourself!"
That's where those owners with early FUSC are at (I got the FUSC-off email) - and we haven't even discussed the price of those performance donkeys yet - some with the fancy shoes, some without.

I'm loath to giving up my earned donkey feed :) - and I want price-for-donkey equity too (but let's put that discussion aside for now.)

Put the discussion aside? But isn't that the point of this thread? 100 page thread or bust!

Reactions: Roys3
Right - or give us $11K back, and then let all 3D folks pay some premium ($5K ?) for the 0-60 boost.

Do you really want to open up that can of worms?!

Just make all P-cars equal (or equivalent)! We are all paid the same now.

Then you aren't the typical performance minded buyer. My housing development is right next to a country road with a large paved pullout area. Every weekend I can hear guys in their mustangs and challengers out there having their fun. To not be able to get a little loose in the rear when you want to in a performance car takes some of the fun of ownership out of it.
Right, we are here to smack down all ICE! Not just cushy sedans - cushy sedans AND muscle cars - in one fell swoop!

Remember, we are Tesla's sales force! Why are we (some of us) being throttled (or lack thereof...) ?

Reactions: Perry
Yup, I agree with this. Hopefully we can order the 19” Chinese wheels with aeros. I’m hoping they actually follow through with the aftermarket PUP.
This kind-of falls in line with my "equivalence suggestion". If the 19" China-wheels make TM easier to implement and are cheaper than the 20's (which I'm sure they are), then put those on the table. Up to Tesla...

I don't expect a car "equal" to the P-cars the new buyers are getting (even though I've paid the same), just "equivalent" in performance.

Why are so many hell bent on Track Mode? I have a P3+ with Track Mode and havent used it.

Track mode=for the track. I can't imagine all you griping about it will ever actually make it to the track so why all the whining?

not really. it just tweaks the traction control to be more aggressive, makes regen more aggressive, and keeps the battery cooler for longer. you can easily benefit from track mode with spirited driving in the twisties

• Love
Reactions: Perry and Roys3
It wasn't the plan originally to bring track mode to 3P-.

It doesn't take deep analytical skills to see that Tesla built/validated everything on the 3P+ and you never saw any "track demos" with cars that share the same brakes, wheels, tires and suspension as the 3MR.

It wasn't just "general software" you can just throw on any Tesla. By that logic, AWD should be able to get track mode software as well.

Musk *might* just release the software just to appease the whiners but that wasn't the plan. The rational move actually is to ignore the noise and prioritize what will benefit the most amount of people.

-Maximum production ramp scaling up instead of out domestically.
-Production overseas to minimize tariffs/duties and reduction of supply chain logistics.
-Solidifying EAP
-HW3 chip release
Wasn't TM developed with the help of that MotorTrend driver just recently... Randy Probst?
If they had given MotorTrend a P3- that day instead of a P3+, then TM would be optimized for the P3-.
Pretty arbitrary stuff. - Maybe let Probst & co. take an AWD out for some track optimization too, and a RWD too! :cool:
I'd be cool with that. Spread a little more performance around!

I still think 90% of ya'll griping for TM mode will never be able to use it.

If Tesla comes out with an app for the P model that allows the car to make fart noises but charges $5k for the non-P models, at least half of you will bitch and complain as to how unfair it is and how badly you need to feel like your breaking wind while your in Track Mode in bumper to bumper traffic.

If Tesla comes out with an app for the P model that allows the car to make fart noises but charges $5k for the non-P models, at least half of you will bitch and complain as to how unfair it is and how badly you need to feel like your breaking wind while your in Track Mode in bumper to bumper traffic.

Doesn’t matter if they use it or not.

Nobody is allowed to have a better Tesla than me.

Nobody can buy a Tesla at a lower price than me.

Signed agreements are good for the moment but subject to negotiation in the future.

I like rolling the dice but want a do over when ithe dice doesn’t fall my way.

This is the summary for the entire thread.

Special award entitlement reward goes to the ONE person wanting to stage a sit in ruining the day of Tesla employees and Tesla customers who have nothing to do with that particular persons choices.

I have a little bit of information regarding 3P+ orders that were placed before the tweet. I had ordered a 3P- before the FUSC w/ out referral deadline for $65k, but I had to defer delivery several times. When Elon tweeted about the price change, I tried to get $5k off my 3P- order, but after weeks of attempts without hearing back, I decided that I would safer strategy for getting my money's worth was to upgrade to 3P+ and ask for the $5k refund. I added the PUO in the configurator for a total price of $70k, and then I immediately reached out to ask about adjusting the price to match a new P3+ price. That hasn't really gone anywhere. My order agreement and price on my order page still show full price. Today, however, I switched my payment method to cash, and I discovered that the final price listed there does have a $5k price adjustment, and it's showing the expected final price.

Screenshot_20181117-083804.png

So if anyone else has a P3+ on order from before the tweet, try switching your payment method to cash to see if the price adjustment shows there.

Reactions: Roys3

Ha ! You may be right, for the majority. I'd fight for damages if they put fart noises on my car!
Fun aside, I live in a place where there is little traffic, no freeways, great winding roads... I want to try it. Maybe take a course.
If I don't like it, I turn it off - and it will be there for the next customer.

Last edited:
I have a little bit of information regarding 3P+ orders that were placed before the tweet. I had ordered a 3P- before the FUSC w/ out referral deadline for $65k, but I had to defer delivery several times. When Elon tweeted about the price change, I tried to get $5k off my 3P- order, but after weeks of attempts without hearing back, I decided that I would safer strategy for getting my money's worth was to upgrade to 3P+ and ask for the $5k refund. I added the PUO in the configurator for a total price of $70k, and then I immediately reached out to ask about adjusting the price to match a new P3+ price. That hasn't really gone anywhere. My order agreement and price on my order page still show full price. Today, however, I switched my payment method to cash, and I discovered that the final price listed there does have a $5k price adjustment, and it's showing the expected final price.

View attachment 353468

So if anyone else has a P3+ on order from before the tweet, try switching your payment method to cash to see if the price adjustment shows there.
Wow, you paid $68K for a P+. That's great!
I paid more for my P-. That...... needs remedy! (Hence the length of this thread.)

Reactions: Msjulie
Doesn’t matter if they use it or not.

Nobody is allowed to have a better Tesla than me.

Nobody can buy a Tesla at a lower price than me.

Signed agreements are good for the moment but subject to negotiation in the future.

I like rolling the dice but want a do over when ithe dice doesn’t fall my way.

This is the summary for the entire thread.

Special award entitlement reward goes to the ONE person wanting to stage a sit in ruining the day of Tesla employees and Tesla customers who have nothing to do with that particular persons choices.
Not at all. Tesla caused the mess.
We are presenting solutions, hopefully removing some arbitrariness - and improving Tesla admin. in the process.
(Lord knows it needs improving!)

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA and MXWing