Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course it’s an issue on Tesla’s side, certainly isn’t my fault. The fact that I’m supposed to have FUSC doesn’t change the fact that I don’t have it and am still paying for it.

If you're entitled to FUSC why are you paying for it?

Every time they charged my card on file I'd report it as an unauthorized charge to my credit card company.

Bet they fix it quicker that way too.

$5K back - or track mode, and all that entails. Simple and fair. What's their problem? Why screw the P3D- folks?

Like you, I paid up (paid $500 too much) for the white interior. They can keep the spoiler and pedals and fancy rims - as long as they simply make the car perform on track...
I don't really care about the spoiler or pedals either (I already added the pedals for like $30.) But they could AT LEAST kick down spoilers since we will end up paying the same price. They won't do it we will get nothing (maybe track mode eventually, maybe).

I have the P3D+ but honestly those 20” wheels and summer rubber are more hassle than they’re worth. I can’t drive on them in the north east in winter so I am stuck having to buy a new set of tires and wheels. Maybe I can sell the 20” factory set, maybe not. What I do know is a good chunk of the refund will go toward the purchase of new ones.

Honestly I’d be happier with 19” or even 18” all season that fit over the big brakes
This is partly why I went P-stealth - not because I wanted less performance! Glad you're getting the $5K to make it happen...

Everyone who bought a P of any ilk before price increase gets FUSC. Some have been offered option to trade that for $5k refund. It’s really that simple.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure? I thought FUSC had an order-by cut-off date. I think there a bunch of owners who don't have it, who ordered after the cut-off date, but still before the $5K price decease.

Everyone who bought a P of any ilk before price increase gets FUSC. Some have been offered option to trade that for $5k refund. It’s really that simple.

Are you sure? I thought FUSC had an order-by cut-off date. I think there a bunch of owners who don't have it, who ordered after the cut-off date, but still before the $5K price decease.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Elon offered to add FUSC to "all recent buyers".

Are you sure? I thought FUSC had an order-by cut-off date. I think there a bunch of owners who don't have it, who ordered after the cut-off date, but still before the $5K price decease.

I’m sure. It was originally all over the map. Cutoff days. Referral required. 90 days. Forever. But when this price drop kerfuffle came along it has been very clear that all P owners who paid old price will get FUSC or $5k. Remains to be seen who will get a choice, and there are signs it is dim for stealth.

That of course is separate from the admin problems where Tesla only has it recorded as free in some people’s profiles. That’s just a system that will get fixed. Until then just don’t pay.

Reactions: P85_DA
Not true. I bought a P3D Stealth before the price increase, and with a referral code and I’m being charged for SC’ing, despite the fact I was told it would be free. I’m reached out to Tesla multiple times and it’s still not fixed.
Right, I think after the cut-off date only those with referral codes got FUSC. I don't know why they can't follow their own rules. If you followed their rules you should have FUSC - nonnegotiable.

That is an issue on Tesla side. Everyone with P3D and FUSC has always been charged despite having FUSC, through referral or through retroactively added. The fact that they are supposed to have FUSC remains true.
Hate to mess things up even more: I got FUSC (because I took their "order now bait") but I never got charged. Wow, they actually did something right! o_O Sorry you guys are still getting billed! :(

I’m sure. It was originally all over the map. Cutoff days. Referral required. 90 days. Forever. But when this price drop kerfuffle came along it has been very clear that all P owners who paid old price will get FUSC or $5k. Remains to be seen who will get a choice, and there are signs it is dim for stealth.

That of course is separate from the admin problems where Tesla only has it recorded as free in some people’s profiles. That’s just a system that will get fixed. Until then just don’t pay.

Oh, I see what you mean. FUSC became free for everyone only after Elon's "FUSC or $5K" pronouncement. That's a nice gift for everyone who didn't have it. Jeez, the P-stealthers who already had FUSC are now even more "behind the eight ball".

There's all kinds of categories of arbitrarily privileged and non-privileged folks.

I'm still where I was - my FUSC is nonnegotiable, and I want a performance track-moded car.

Reactions: Msjulie and Lucky13
Last edited:
If you wanted the performance upgrade/options, and track mode, then why didn't you order the PUP? Or are you saying you only want them now that you think you can extort Tesla into giving them to you for free?

Some of us ordered (and even took delivery) prior to track mode being locked to PUP. Deliveries started in late July and they didn’t tweet about it until late August:

Twitter

If you're entitled to FUSC why are you paying for it?

Every time they charged my card on file I'd report it as an unauthorized charge to my credit card company.

Bet they fix it quicker that way too.
They will fix it quicker if you do that. Those are called "chargebacks", and they cost Tesla money. Do it. They deserve it.
(My "benefit-of-the-doubt attitude" is going away...)

Some of us ordered (and even took delivery) prior to track mode being locked to PUP. Deliveries started in late July and they didn’t tweet about it until late August:

Twitter

You mean before they even announced that any car would get track mode? The first time track mode was mentioned people asked if it would be limited to Model 3s with PUP, and most people thought that it would. And then when Tesla actually announced it, they confirmed that it was limited to the Model 3s with PUP.

You can't reasonably expect Tesla to just give you anything that they release after you purchase your car just because you would have bought it had it been offered to you at the time.

Right so they gave me free supercharging even though that was already promised when I bought the car. So what was given to me then? Sounds like some people got FUSC, but it's not really adding anything to those buyers who already had it.

I am also a P3D- owner, but to be fair the reason the trade of FUSC for 5K refund exists as opposed to the refund on top of what you already have is because Elon's argument was that, sure you paid more before the price drop but you have FUSC which new buyers don't have hence it evens out with the 5K price drop. When people complained that they rather have the deal of the new buyers instead of FUSC, Elon said he would do the trade since he was arguing that both options are of equal value. Now for some of us, they are not of equal value so we prefer the 5K back. But that doesn't mean you can have the best of both worlds by keeping the FUSC and getting the 5K refund. If that were the case you would have a better deal than the new buyers and that is not what Elon was trying to remedy.

So the fair thing to do is get one or the other but not both. It looks like the P3D+ group are getting to choose which they want while the P3D- are given no choice by being forced to keep the arguably inferior FUSC option or get it if they never had it.

If you wanted the performance upgrade/options, and track mode, then why didn't you order the PUP? Or are you saying you only want them now that you think you can extort Tesla into giving them to you for free?
Extort Tesla? Ha! They pretty much do what they want to customers. That's proven.
1) I only want SOME PUP hardware - IF they can't manage to put out a decent track mode without it.
2) I'm not asking for anything more than everyone else is getting - and for what was promised.
Are you one of the arbitrarily privileged who wants to keep the arbitrarily unprivileged down? Looks that way...

Last edited:

I ordered my P3D- when we had no idea what came in the performance upgrade package. Communication was terrible on Teslas part. I called Tesla three times to ask if the brakes were different hardware or just painted red and got three diffferent answers. Also when I ordered track mode had never ever been mentioned. So I purchased the lower spec model knowing I would swap brakes, suspension and rim/tires to be more capable on the track.

I don't want to be a finicial burden on Tesla. All I want honestly is track mode. The hardware I can live with out. I still have faith in Elon. But I do have to admit, communication from Tesla would make things so much better.

I have a track day planned in January and in February. Fingers crossed that track mode or at least the ability to purchase PUP at a fair price (for both Tesla and myself) become available in the short term.

I think both sides of the argument about needing hardware for track mode have validity. That being said I am sure track mode would be fine in a P3D-, probably just not as capable and obviously not able to do lap after lap due to brake fade/failure. My understanding is that even P3D+'s have to have brake pad swaps to do track work(pretty common if you intend to really push a car on the track).

I just want to go track 5-6 times a year, and prove to all my ICE buddy track rats that the EV cars are more than capable on and off the track. But if I can't use track mode to keep my car cool for a 20min session, well I might not prove anything except that I am fool for not buying PUP.

In the end all this jumbalia comes down to Tesla not communicating. Being a P3D- owner it does feel like we are being left behind, that being said I received the car I agreed to.