Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly. A credit towards some future purchase would be fine by me. As I posted before, supercharging is worth maybe $1k to me over life of car with my driving patterns. So a $2500 credit towards accessories or service or $5k credit towards next car would seem equitable to me in light of fact that those who spent $5k are getting a refund.

Exactly. A credit towards some future purchase would be fine by me. As I posted before, supercharging is worth maybe $1k to me over life of car with my driving patterns. So a $2500 credit towards accessories or service or $5k credit towards next car would seem equitable to me in light of fact that those who spent $5k are getting a refund.

PS, I guarantee though, if all I get is FUSC all, I’ll be FLOGGING that supercharger! I’m getting >=$2500 out of them by hook or crook!

Sounds to me like they were going to screw everyone over to stay afloat in September, then decided they could afford to refund 1/2 the people that overpaid.
The pricing change preceded any thought of refunds. I would love to know the real reason for the change. Their claim that it streamlined production doesn't make much sense. IMO the options are 1. that they weren't seeing enough buyers for the package and the marginal cost wasn't much different (which it probably isn't) so they figured it would make the car more competitive. 2. Not enough people were buying the P3D- to make dealing with them worthwhile and a price increase for the base P wasn't desirable. 3. They wanted to drop the price of the P cars but couldn't impact the base price to avoid cannibalizing the AWD purchases so instead they just threw the PUP in for free.

Thank You for contacting Tesla Service Support! The refund you are referring to only applies to Performance Model 3 customers that purchased the Performance Upgrade Package. According to our records, you do not qualify for the refund.

Best regards,

-------------------------------------
Joel Parker | Tesla Support
12832 Frontrunner Blvd., Draper, UT 84020
p. (877) 798-3752 | customersuppor[email protected]

Out of all the delays, missed delivery dates, and visits to the service center, this is what finally pisses me off. P3D- owners are being treated so poorly here. It’s not that I think I deserve a refund, it’s that others are getting it but we are not.

Utah-Parker is getting snippy now. I'm no longer a fan of Utah-Parker.

Tesla should also communicate directly to P3D- owners regarding track mode. They own them an explanation as to why they aren't able to use the software and if there will be any option to fix that. People get way more upset without clear answers.

I have never received anything close to a message that says I'm getting a refund. My emails have not been replied to. When I called I got a standard message that they don't know what's going on, but that I'm some list. Yes, I definitely agree that they don't have to do anything for us. Assuming that it does happen then this just solidifies my belief that Tesla is a company that genuinely attempts to be fair to their customers.

On the second bit, of course it's the loudest people that get the attention. I can't comment on the larger group. I'm not whining, but I'm keeping my elation in check until Tesla actually tells me that I'm getting a refund. There is a common thread in most of these arguments, Tesla is not great at communicating. As they break out of the early adopter stage and into the mass market that will be an even larger issue. Average Joes aren't as forgiving (and to be fair aren't as persnickety regarding 100 delivery checklists etc.)

I've been very patient on the spoiler bit. It's a shame that nobody told me about it and that we haven't received any communications, but I'm also a shareholder so I understood the Q3 crush. With the refund I won't be upset about new cars shipping with all components. If that wasn't happening I would be pretty upset TBH.
Yes, ignoring is still a big part of their "message" - but if you contact Utah-Parker, right or wrong, he'll give you one. :)

Utah-Parker is getting snippy now. I'm no longer a fan of Utah-Parker.

Utah Parker got extra snippy when I replied asking him if that was correct since Musk’s tweet didn’t say P3D+...

I can assure you my response is correct, and that the refund is only being offered to customers who purchased the Performance Upgrade Packages. You are not eligible for the refund in question, and there will not be complimentary upgrades offered.

Thank You,

Reactions: juanmedina
The pricing change preceded any thought of refunds. I would love to know the real reason for the change. Their claim that it streamlined production doesn't make much sense. IMO the options are 1. that they weren't seeing enough buyers for the package and the marginal cost wasn't much different (which it probably isn't) so they figured it would make the car more competitive. 2. Not enough people were buying the P3D- to make dealing with them worthwhile and a price increase for the base P wasn't desirable. 3. They wanted to drop the price of the P cars but couldn't impact the base price to avoid cannibalizing the AWD purchases so instead they just threw the PUP in for free.
We'll never find out. They don't communicate.
All I know is: if it feels stupid or crooked, it probably is (one, or the other, or both).

Reactions: Big City
Utah Parker got extra snippy when I replied asking him if that was correct since Musk’s tweet didn’t say P3D+...

I can assure you my response is correct, and that the refund is only being offered to customers who purchased the Performance Upgrade Packages. You are not eligible for the refund in question, and there will not be complimentary upgrades offered.

Thank You,

Wow, he really hates the P- crowd! I feel like a beaten down stepchild again. :(
Did you tell him our purchase now provides Tesla with the most margin, and ask him where his pay is coming from?

Yes, seems so easy and basic. Why are they so incapable?
They're like: "We're just going to stay frozen in stupid unfairness! And if you don't like it - Tuff !"

PS: That reminds me... I once had a coach that yelled my name and said: "How do YOU spell tough?!" I said T-O-U-G-H.
He then yelled: "Wrong! It's T-U-F-F !"
All workout long I was unsure... :confused:

Last edited:
I agree that is how he worded things, but a tweet is just a tweet. That was probably an off the cuff response on his part, he may have meant PUP buyers, or maybe he meant all P cars but he got shut down by finance. It's great having a CEO communicate to us directly, but sometimes that will come at the cost of clarity. Most companies wait for specifically crafted messages to come out that are approved by corp com.
I kind-of have the feeling Elon and his tweeting is the only thing that stands between us and Tesla corporate crappiness.
At the moment, Tesla corporate crapiness is winning. I trust in Elon to get this right - but he shouldn't have to! This NOT that hard!

Last edited:
Ok just to stir the pot further...

My latest correspondence with Tesla CS:

"Good morning,

The information I have is that the Tweet Offer is for performance models and is not tied to the PUP...

Elon has tweeted about the lifetime Supercharging or receiving the Model 3 Performance refund of $5,000. If a customer is eligible for the refund, they have the option to choose a $5,000 refund and forfeit their Free, Unlimited Supercharging. This refund will remove any and all Free, Unlimited Supercharging, regardless of how it was obtained. This is because new owners are not able to take advantage of the new pricing and Free, Unlimited Supercharging.

I hope that helps.

Regards,"

I then asked what my next steps should be:

"You don't need to do anything, over the next several weeks you may also receive emails to [email protected] from Field Teams regarding this refund.

Have a great afternoon!"

I am going to move on for now, and stop bugging them. I won't ever come close to using $5,000 in supercharging, but there is something about it being free & unlimited that is o-so-tempting. If it were transferrable in the event of an accident, I would consider keeping it, but I really can't justify forfeiting $5k now.

Ok just to stir the pot further...

My latest correspondence with Tesla CS:

"Good morning,

The information I have is that the Tweet Offer is for performance models and is not tied to the PUP...

Elon has tweeted about the lifetime Supercharging or receiving the Model 3 Performance refund of $5,000. If a customer is eligible for the refund, they have the option to choose a $5,000 refund and forfeit their Free, Unlimited Supercharging. This refund will remove any and all Free, Unlimited Supercharging, regardless of how it was obtained. This is because new owners are not able to take advantage of the new pricing and Free, Unlimited Supercharging.

I hope that helps.

Regards,"

I then asked what my next steps should be:

"You don't need to do anything, over the next several weeks you may also receive emails to [email protected] from Field Teams regarding this refund.

Have a great afternoon!"

I am going to move on for now, and stop bugging them. I won't ever come close to using $5,000 in supercharging, but there is something about it being free & unlimited that is o-so-tempting. If it were transferrable in the event of an accident, I would consider keeping it, but I really can't justify forfeiting $5k now.

Wtf... PM their email so I can ask them about my refund because so far they haven't replied to any of my emails.

• Disagree
Reactions: Roys3 and P85_DA
Just one more reason to lemon the car, although I typically wouldn't assuming the paint looks good when I get it back. But at this point, why not!

Bro, paint ain't gonna look good. If you're lucky they'll put your hood emblem on straight, unlike mine:
IMG_4090.JPG