Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other people have gone round-and-round with Tesla on this. What it comes down to is Tesla normally buys back cars without going through a formal lemon law process and to go through that "easy"/quick process you either have to show that you don't qualify for the tax credit or accept the $7,500 less. If you want a total refund you would need to hire a lawyer and go through the full formal lemon law process which would likely take a long time. (You could possibly come out ahead as you could get a full refund, and the $7,500 tax credit, and still get a $3,750 tax credit on your new car.)

What can be a problem is if you only have enough tax liability to qualify for one tax credit. (Or maybe a little more.)

Gotcha.

I'm not trying to scam tesla, if I can get a partial second credit to make up for lawyer fees cool. Already have a lemon law layer I used earlier this year for my ford focus buyback. It might be worth paying them the $1000-$1500 then for the retainer, the process was pretty cut and dry for the ford focus. Just needed to find a bunch of records since I had the car for almost 5 years! The tesla I only had for about 2 weeks so I won't have to do much digging :)

On the positive side: I live over 6 hrs away from my SC, but my mobile service guy has been awesome.
The delivery process was a nightmare though, never mind this on-going pricing mess. Tesla has room for improvement on MANY fronts!

That’s good to hear. I’m hoping that my contact with the mobile service will be easier and better than it has with the delivery folks. We’ll find out next week if the technician gets ahold of me to install my new mirror.

There’s a lot to like about Tesla, but man there are some headaches. We bought my wife an Audi a while back, and the dealership in town bends over backwards to help out whenever possible. I was hoping at the Tesla price point they would be similar. So far that’s not the case, but hopefully they’ll get there.

Reactions: Roys3
That’s good to hear. I’m hoping that my contact with the mobile service will be easier and better than it has with the delivery folks. We’ll find out next week if the technician gets ahold of me to install my new mirror.

There’s a lot to like about Tesla, but man there are some headaches. We bought my wife an Audi a while back, and the dealership in town bends over backwards to help out whenever possible. I was hoping at the Tesla price point they would be similar. So far that’s not the case, but hopefully they’ll get there.
My experience has been that once you engage a person at Tesla, they are very committed and helpful. I just think delivery and service are totally overwhelmed, and Tesla does not yet have the systems and processes in place to make them efficient. Whereas the dealership structures of other makers have had decades to mature. I know it is no help to those of you hours from service center... but until this improves, I always stop by for any transaction rather than pray in vain for email or phone response.

My service guy had the right side mirror off on my car, just to remount that black corner plastic piece which stuck out too much.
Piece of cake - for him! He told me that's also where the wifi antenna is located - so now you know how to "point" your car to get the best wifi reception...

Okay, I think this covers everything... the "Super-Gifted", the "Screwed", the "semi-screwed", and everyone else, there's like 7 buckets that people could be in depending on the dates ordered on, picked up on, PUP+/-/included

If the wifi antenna is in the passenger side mirror, maybe that's why I've been having intermittent issues (that's the side of my car that got sideswiped)

I fail to see how the situation is different. After P+ get refunded they didn't pay for the PUP either.
It is different. Not saying something shouldn't be done for them, but it's not the saem
Okay, I think this covers everything... the "Super-Gifted", the "Screwed", the "semi-screwed", and everyone else, there's like 7 buckets that people could be in depending on the dates ordered on, picked up on, PUP+/-/included

If the wifi antenna is in the passenger side mirror, maybe that's why I've been having intermittent issues (that's the side of my car that got sideswiped)

Can you add a box off by itself with no arrows around it that says "Don't own a P3 but have very strong opinions about PUP refunds"?

Ha! I followed my path to "The Box Of The Double-FUSC'ers" and couldn't stop laughing. :p
I'm sure tracing my path further takes me deep into "The Boxes of the Screwed" (but I haven't completed the maze yet...)

Yup, messing up your passenger mirror will mess up your wifi. :confused:

Ha! I followed my path to "The Box Of The Double-FUSC'ers" and couldn't stop laughing. :p
I'm sure tracing my path further takes me deep into "The Boxes of the Screwed" (but I haven't completed the maze yet...)

Yup, messing up your passenger mirror will mess up your wifi. :confused:

Aww dang it, there's a path left out where you could take the $5k refund on your M3P- (pre 9/15/18 order) and end up without PUP or FUSC...
Eh, it's good enough. Unlike Tesla's communication on this issue

So those people are double fusced?
It doesn't matter if they are or not? Tesla will helpfully remove both sources of FUSC-ing if you opt for a refund*

*allegedly, though this is also a loophole some people have used to become Super Gifted

Slight correction - I ended up in the wrong "Box of the Double-FUSC'ers". You need to add another "Box of Double FUSC'ers" near the top.

I ordered pre-6/30 and got "incentivised" or "baited" FUSC (not referral-FUSC). Then, later, Elon gave it to me again - Yay! - Double FUSC for me!

I'm now offering one of my 2 FUSC's for sale - only $4K! Any takers?

Great job btw...

PS: This also instantiates another "Screwed Box" - because, if I can't sell it, one of my FUSC's was negated, and I get no PUP, and no rebate, and no track, and no anything, but paid full price - Hence "The Box which gives Tesla the most profit margin, but gets the least."

Last edited:

Oof. For some reason seeing it on a flow chart stings more.

I’m still holding out hope that someone with enough followers tweets to Elon about the P- folks. My free 6 months of charging from referral expires right after winter ends. So there won’t be any road trips until after my free supercharging runs out. Well played, Elon. I had originally ordered when the $100 credit was the referral. Then it switched to 6 months. Just bad timing for everything I did, it seems.

BTW: I just tweeted Elon that I'm not happy. :( He'll never see it (and probably wouldn't care anyway) - but maybe someone else reads the replies... Elon Musk on Twitter

I tweeted at him a couple weeks ago after being turned down by one Tesla employee asking him if I was out of luck. I don’t tweet much and have less than 100 followers so I assumed I wouldn’t have the pull to get his attention. Maybe I’ll try again in a few weeks when I get my P- stealth wrapped and have a pretty picture to attach to the tweet.

BTW: I just tweeted Elon that I'm not happy. :( He'll never see it (and probably wouldn't care anyway) - but maybe someone else reads the replies... Elon Musk on Twitter

We need to get someone big to send the tweet. The Electrek guy, the Model3club forum owner or Ryan MacCraffrey @ryanjm .

I do not think we are being unreasonable we paid $64k for our performance cars without PUP; we just want the option to exchange our free supercharging for something more useful EAP, FSD or a possible upgrade to PUP especially since free supercharging doesn't transfer if we sell the car. Our cars took at $5k hit overnight... if it had been 1-2k I would not have cared.

I dunno if you are trying to get this right or if the whole thing is just for amusement... but Tesla has said pretty clearly that all pre price drop Ps without PUP will get FUSC. It is in every one of the emails. So, I don't think there is such a thing as a non-PUP without FUSC.

We need to get someone big to send the tweet. The Electrek guy, the Model3club forum owner or Ryan MacCraffrey @ryanjm .

I do not think we are being unreasonable we paid $64k for our performance cars without PUP; we just want the option to exchange our free supercharging for something more useful EAP, FSD or a possible upgrade to PUP especially since free supercharging doesn't transfer if we sell the car. Our cars took at $5k hit overnight... if it had been 1-2k I would not have cared.
Or they could give us FUSC that DOES go for life of car. They know how to do that with S and X.

Reactions: juanmedina