Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How could it be anything other than less? Would Tesla down-program it to AWD to sell w/o the complications of the whole Performance model with/without drama?

Exactly. I predict the trade-in value will be nearly $5K less than for cars with the PUP. So how can anyone think that P3 Stealthers aren't affected by the price change?

Exactly. I predict the trade-in value will be nearly $5K less than for cars with the PUP. So how can anyone think that P3 Stealthers aren't affected by the price change?
That's crazy. Options make very little difference to trade in value. It's always best to buy the most stripped down version of the car if your goal is maximize trade in value percentage. You can select options on the Kelly blue book calculator and see.
Bigger brakes and larger wheels probably cost Tesla less than $1k more.

That's crazy. Options make very little difference to trade in value. It's always best to buy the most stripped down version of the car if your goal is maximize trade in value percentage. You can select options on the Kelly blue book calculator and see.
Bigger brakes and larger wheels probably cost Tesla less than $1k more.

Assuming both cars will have similar depreciation curves and the same purchase price, the PUP equipped cars will be the clear winners on trade-in value. But I agree that the difference could end up being relatively small. Less than $5K for sure, but I would think quite a bit more than $1K.

Reactions: Jason_G and Roys3
Assuming both cars will have similar depreciation curves and the same purchase price, the PUP equipped cars will be the clear winners on trade-in value. But I agree that the difference could end up being relatively small. Less than $5K for sure, but I would think quite a bit more than $1K.
I was curious so I checked for a 2013 BMW M3 w/ 75k miles with and without the $2500 Competition package (bigger wheels and lowered suspension.
With $24,487
Without $23,847
So, $600 difference in trade in value for a $2500 option. $1200 difference for the PUP after five years seems like a good bet to me.

If tesla has taught me anything, it's that you should NEVER reserve and that they really don't care about their loyal patient customers. I also learned that I should not expect a good car buying processes even if your buying an expensive car. I should have known they would screw people over on pricing just the same as every other car company. I should have known something bad would happen when buying my first expensive car. Every expensive purchase I ever make has to turn into a disaster. Not sure why I expected anything different from Tesla.

They did ace the "worst car buying experience in my lifetime" category though, previously the record was held by Ford.

I was curious so I checked for a 2013 BMW M3 w/ 75k miles with and without the $2500 Competition package (bigger wheels and lowered suspension.
With $24,487
Without $23,847
So, $600 difference in trade in value for a $2500 option. $1200 difference for the PUP after five years seems like a good bet to me.
Don't forget P3D- has no track mode too though. It's not like you can just swap out the wheel brakes, pedals, spoiler and still have an equivalent car.

They really should at least give P3D- buyers the pedals and spoiler. I mean I don't really care about those things, but it would at least look like they are making an effort.

Reactions: Jason_G
With $24,487
Without $23,847

$1200 would be a lot less painful...plus I have to think there will be many people in the used car market that will prefer to buy the Stealth version anyway. Trade-in numbers aside, I still feel like I've been screwed.

Don't forget P3D- has no track mode too though. It's not like you can just swap out the wheel brakes, pedals, spoiler and still have an equivalent car.

They really should at least give P3D- buyers the pedals and spoiler. I mean I don't really care about those things, but it would at least look like they are making an effort.
They still haven't given D+ buyers our damn spoilers. :/

Reactions: Glamisduner

They haven't given the spoilers to the P3D+ buyers yet, so maybe they will.

It’s quite established that higher priced cars depreciate faster than cheaper cars. As far as trade in, the difference between performance and perfPUP cars will be negligible - definitely not the retail $5k. Anyone buying a 60+k car thinking that car won’t drop 20k in value over the near term should rethink their purchase. It’s why GAP insurance exists.

A 2013 P85 was 112k new. 5 years later what are they worth? 50k on the high end? ... and here we have people quibbling over 5k. Lol

Reactions: Jedi2155 and MXWing
It’s quite established that higher priced cars depreciate faster than cheaper cars. As far as trade in, the difference between performance and perfPUP cars will be negligible - definitely not the retail $5k. Anyone buying a 60+k car thinking that car won’t drop 20k in value over the near term should rethink their purchase. It’s why GAP insurance exists.

A 2013 P85 was 112k new. 5 years later what are they worth? 50k on the high end? ... and here we have people quibbling over 5k. Lol
Well since the car is not in my driveway yet. YES

Ah, the "gifted poodles" are spreading their wisdom...;)
Gotta go get me some gap insurance now...