Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance vs AWD 0-60 Side-By-Side Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly when I drove a P3D+ I didn't get the head snap.

I did get a stomach drop like a roller coaster, but no head snap.

The P100D on the other hand one of my passengers was still complaining about his neck hurting 3 days later.
3.3 vs 2.3 is a rather large difference. A lot of smart people actually said the P100D could not achieve those numbers due to the "laws of physics"
I even read articles quoting physics professors on that. What a bunch of %$$&S

i think it's all about readiness and anticipation. If you know to hold your head up, it's not going to move. Most drivers get accustomed to it after the first day, but passengers are always in for a treat since they don't know when you're going to punch it. I always keep that in mind, especially with two little ones in the back half of the time.

I think it's the S cars being faster earlier. My 85D feels so much faster than the AWD and similar at low speed to the 3P.

I think it's the S cars being faster earlier. My 85D feels so much faster than the AWD and similar at low speed to the 3P.

The 85D and 90D can run in the 3.8-3.9 range from 0-60 compared to the 3.5 the P3D runs. When I test drove the P3D, it's launch felt almost identical to my 90D according to my butt dyno.

The 0-20 is no joke in terms of feeling "fast", almost all of the $35,000 you pay for the Ludicrous on the P100D vs. the 100D is front-loaded into the 0-20. That's the "Oh S**T!" pinned into your seat feeling that the Ludicrous gives you, which is intentionally left out of the P3D and purposely sandbagged in the RWD and AWD. I have little doubt that if the software allowed it, you could have a pretty amazing launch with even just the RWD 3.

The fact that the RWD, AWD, and P3D are all going almost the same trap speed when you are actually at the 1/4 mile mark is proof that everything you pay for in the upgrade from RWD to AWD is at 0-60, and everything you pay for to go from AWD to P3D is at 0-20.

Last edited:
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
The fact that the RWD, AWD, and P3D are all going almost the same trap speed when you are actually at the 1/4 mile mark is proof that everything you pay for in the upgrade from RWD to AWD is at 0-60, and everything you pay for to go from AWD to P3D is at 0-20.

I haven't come across a lot of quarter mile results for the various model 3 configs, but it appeared to me that the trap speed for the RWD is not at the same level as the P-AWD and AWD models. The P-AWD and AWD are quite similar, and the quarter mile time gap of 1 second between AWD and P-AWD suggests that after that first 0-60mph they may be accelerating at about the same rate. The 1 second quarter mile time gap between RWD and AWD is larger than the .6 seconds 0-60mph gap, so the AWD continues to gain time at higher speeds.

These are the notes I made for myself for what I have come across:
RWD: [email protected]
AWD: [email protected] 2.134 60'
AWD: 12.6 @ 110.56
P-AWD: [email protected] 1.817 60'​

FWIW, if I plug in some of these values at Horsepower Calculator from 1/4 mile ET and Trap Speed - DragTimes.com (and picking a weight of 4000lbs) I get these horsepower estimates:
RWD [email protected] = 322hp
AWD 12.7 @ 111 = 409hp
AWD 12.6 @ 110.56 = 409hp
P-AWD: [email protected] = 470hp​
These are probably somewhat bogus, but gives a since of how much power increase is required to cause that much of a change in trap speed.

• Helpful
Reactions: nogassnorlax
Honestly when I drove a P3D+ I didn't get the head snap.

I did get a stomach drop like a roller coaster, but no head snap.

The P100D on the other hand one of my passengers was still complaining about his neck hurting 3 days later.
As an owner of both P100D and M3P, your characterizations are about in line.

That said, having taken the P100D to 4 different tracks (and the P85D to 5) and the M3P to just one I already know with certainty that the M3P is quicker than the P100D getting around the track even from the first lap. At least with me driving.

To that point, it would be interesting to see an acceleration test between the 3D and P3D from a rolling (20mph) start.

Reactions: Scott7 and Piney999
The 85D and 90D can run in the 3.8-3.9 range from 0-60 compared to the 3.5 the P3D runs. When I test drove the P3D, it's launch felt almost identical to my 90D according to my butt dyno.

The 0-20 is no joke in terms of feeling "fast", almost all of the $35,000 you pay for the Ludicrous on the P100D vs. the 100D is front-loaded into the 0-20. That's the "Oh S**T!" pinned into your seat feeling that the Ludicrous gives you, which is intentionally left out of the P3D and purposely sandbagged in the RWD and AWD. I have little doubt that if the software allowed it, you could have a pretty amazing launch with even just the RWD 3.

I'm not sure it is intentional at least on the AWD and RWD since the PM motor is pretty maxed out on the P and reason for the parts selection. May be some room up front on the AWD. The dual and large induction motors on S D cars leaves much room for that low end power at the expense of efficiency. Some minor fudging but the low end seems to be the issue on the PM designs. The irony is that to get the P performance you pay $10K but the cost is very low for Tesla. Also you can't just add that to the bill and keep a config with nicer wheels so along comes another $3,500 net for that upgrade:)

Last edited:
PERF is about 20-25% faster 20-60mph. Comparing Dragy results, AWD is 20-60 in 3.18 and PERF does it in 2.44 seconds.

The 0-20 is 1.49 for AWD and 1.06 for PERF.

Yes Dragy is not perfect and both runs have different SoC, etc.

Last edited:
Drove an awd. Does not feel fast off the line. I realize my point of reference of a p90dl might be a little extreme, but it felt slightly faster than a corked 75d I had driven previously. Pulling power at speed was much better.

EDIT: meant corked 75d

Last edited:
Was it "much" quicker than RWD?

Hard to say due to driving them in different settings. I had minimal freeway time with the RWD compared to the AWD. Both felt quick on surface streets. My impression is the AWD was a little quicker on the on-ramp, but I am also likely biased because I know the performance numbers.

I guess for me the bottom line would be, if I had a RWD, I don't think I would bother selling to upgrade to AWD. If I didn't have one yet, I would get AWD (assuming you didn't want the P).

When I summarized the Pros and Cons of AWD vs RWD in mid-July the RWD won out. The information I learned since then says that you should totally go with the AWD.

Here is my updated summary:

RWD Pros:
  • Efficiency: 130 (H136/C123) MPGe vs. 116 (H120/C112) MPGe
  • Range: Likely 330 vs 310 mile range.
  • Need: No real need for AWD in my area (Southern California)
  • Cost: $4000 $5000 Extra
BUUUUUUTT......I'm regret it now as of course I'm a very finicky person and I've since learned the following:

AWD Pros:
  • Acceleration: 0.61g (AWD) vs 0.54g (RWD)
  • Instant Power: No 0-20 MPH "lag" during launch take off
  • Tire Wear: The AWD will distribute the power more evenly limiting the amount of tire wear. I heard a one RWD driver killing their rear tires in 5000 miles.
  • 1 Pedal Driving: Stronger regen from dual motors allows for one pedal driving to slow your vehicle down.
  • RESPEKT: Dat DUAL MOTOR badge
  • Potential Efficiency Improvements in future FW updates....
I failed to consider the Instant Power/One-Pedal driving when i decided to downgrade to the RWD.

Hahaha, so Tesla finally did an efficiency update on the Dual Motor and bumped up the range to 322 miles. I noticed it on my P3D+ as well because I feel like they biased more driving on the rear motor vs front motor since August.

• Informative
Reactions: Sg911
I'm not sure it is intentional at least on the AWD and RWD since the PM motor is pretty maxed out on the P and reason for the parts selection. May be some room up front on the AWD. The dual and large induction motors on S D cars leaves much room for that low end power at the expense of efficiency. Some minor fudging but the low end seems to be the issue on the PM designs. The irony is that to get the P performance you pay $10K but the cost is very low for Tesla. Also you can't just add that to the bill and keep a config with nicer wheels so along comes another $3,500 net for that upgrade:)

There is a video of the P3D motor being torn independently apart and could easily handle 1000hp with minimal effect on longevity and close to 1700HP. They are nerfed for warranty safety and not to overshadow the Model S ! Easily an L mode could be added !

• Funny
Reactions: Zoomit