Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance vs AWD 0-60 Side-By-Side Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love it!
thanks for sharing... Did you also test drive the RWD?
Or.. Did you go straight to the P3D?

I went straight to the P3D after I was able to cancel my RWD, and A LOT of deliberation on how I'm going to justify to myself spending that amount of coin after spending years telling my wife that a bag is not worth XXXX dollars lol. Funny enough she supported me on the purchase.

I was only actually able to test drive the RWD this past weekend as they told me I had schedule a separate test drive for the RWD model when I asked originally. I'm glad I ponied up for the P3D. Since that time I've prepped for my resume for a higher wage position :D.

Love it!
thanks for sharing... Did you also test drive the RWD?
Or.. Did you go straight to the P3D?

I went through (am going through?) the exact same deliberation, as are probably many others lurking on these forums. I drove a Model S 100D (Tesla-stated 0-60 4.1) and felt as though it had plenty of punch to keep me satisfied. I then drove a 3 RWD and was disappointed relative to the S I just drove. I was expecting it to have less punch off the line than the S100D, but still punch. Instead, the power delivery ramped-up rather than punched. At-speed acceleration was still snappy in the 3.

I hemmed and hawed, and eventually ordered a 3D after reading Deuce24's review (the first on TMC to write about that model) of his 3D. He stated there was no 0-20/30 lag, and the 3D had far more punch than the 3. Based on those statements and the Tesla-stated 4.5 second 0-60 for the 3D, it sounded probable that I would be satisfied with that version.

I was then debating between switching my black interior to white, and headed to the dealer to see them both in person. Guess which car had the white interior? And guess who test drove that P3D against all better judgement? Although I was concerned about being tempted to upgrade, I wanted to see both bookends (3 and P3D) to try and figure out how the 3D might feel. As many have mentioned, the 3 and P3D are two different driving experiences, from an acceleration point of view. The P3D is an incredible car and I definitely got out of that thing wanting one. Like you, I've been trying to virtually figure out how the 3D will feel comparatively. We all know the numbers, but that's different than the feel. I have a Cayenne Turbo with a 0-60 of ~4.7 (similar ballpark to the 3 and 3D), but how it gets there feels WAY different than the 3s. I know, ICE vs electric, but the point is the feel over the numbers, and the numbers don't always tell the story of feel.

This decision would be far easier if there were 3Ds to test drive. In the meantime, forum chatter will have to do.

• Informative
Reactions: nogassnorlax
From that videos description- Tesla Model 3 (long range battery, dual motors, 20" wheels with stock all season tires, non performance model) using Aim Solo2 DL.

Weird since there's no such thing as "stock all season" on 20s... the 18s and 19s have all seasons, the 20s have summer tires

Screencap of the numbers
952BBC66-3308-45AC-B1C6-ABA2EF4471A6.jpeg

Seems like the AWD makes up a lot of the time later in the run
0-20 1.85
20-40 1.17
40-60 1.39

I went through (am going through?) the exact same deliberation, as are probably many others lurking on these forums. I drove a Model S 100D (Tesla-stated 0-60 4.1) and felt as though it had plenty of punch to keep me satisfied. I then drove a 3 RWD and was disappointed relative to the S I just drove. I was expecting it to have less punch off the line than the S100D, but still punch. Instead, the power delivery ramped-up rather than punched. At-speed acceleration was still snappy in the 3.

I hemmed and hawed, and eventually ordered a 3D after reading Deuce24's review (the first on TMC to write about that model) of his 3D. He stated there was no 0-20/30 lag, and the 3D had far more punch than the 3. Based on those statements and the Tesla-stated 4.5 second 0-60 for the 3D, it sounded probable that I would be satisfied with that version.

I was then debating between switching my black interior to white, and headed to the dealer to see them both in person. Guess which car had the white interior? And guess who test drove that P3D against all better judgement? Although I was concerned about being tempted to upgrade, I wanted to see both bookends (3 and P3D) to try and figure out how the 3D might feel. As many have mentioned, the 3 and P3D are two different driving experiences, from an acceleration point of view. The P3D is an incredible car and I definitely got out of that thing wanting one. Like you, I've been trying to virtually figure out how the 3D will feel comparatively. We all know the numbers, but that's different than the feel. I have a Cayenne Turbo with a 0-60 of ~4.7 (similar ballpark to the 3 and 3D), but how it gets there feels WAY different than the 3s. I know, ICE vs electric, but the point is the feel over the numbers, and the numbers don't always tell the story of feel.

This decision would be far easier if there were 3Ds to test drive. In the meantime, forum chatter will have to do.

I have to agree with your assessment 100%...
We need to feel / experience it...
Then.. We will know...

"The only source of knowledge is experience." a.e.

the thing with butt dynos is that they are good for 4+ sec and above cars. When you get below that, it's all about what's going on with your head/face. Those with ludicrous/insane mode, even Model 3 Performance know what I am talking about. Reaching 1g almost instantaneously smacks the back of your head against the seat, and the head/face is not used to prolonged acceleration. It's a wierd feeling with the cheeks, you have to experience it. After multiple start/stop runs you start to get a headache from your brain sloshing around your skull, lol. AWD and the RWD are indeed fast as well, and the instant torque is immediately felt, but you don't quite reach 1g to really feel what I'm talking about.

giphy.gif

(not quite but lol)

Reactions: roguenode
Honestly when I drove a P3D+ I didn't get the head snap.

I did get a stomach drop like a roller coaster, but no head snap.

The P100D on the other hand one of my passengers was still complaining about his neck hurting 3 days later.

Reactions: forkee
Honestly when I drove a P3D+ I didn't get the head snap.

I did get a stomach drop like a roller coaster, but no head snap.

The P100D on the other hand one of my passengers was still complaining about his neck hurting 3 days later.

i think it's all about readiness and anticipation. If you know to hold your head up, it's not going to move. Most drivers get accustomed to it after the first day, but passengers are always in for a treat since they don't know when you're going to punch it. I always keep that in mind, especially with two little ones in the back half of the time.

Reactions: Gavyne