Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance vs Long Range vs SR+ (still undecided...)

Which Model 3 would you choose?

• SR+

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • LR AWD

Votes: 36 40.9%
  • P3D+

Votes: 36 40.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@overkill - do you find the LR AWD is "fast enough"?
I think of it like this, at the time the P3D was 10k more. I wanted the extra speed but do not regret not paying an extra 10k. I would have bought the P3 stealth, if it was offered and that is what id recommend to others who want a stupid fast car.

To directly answer you, my hobby is competitive auto racing on road courses. Ive driven and instructed drivers in lots of fast cars. The LR AWD is faster than so many other fast cars, its ridiculous. I make myself carsick hooning it (responsibly). Its plenty plenty fast particularly with the 36.2.1 update.

While I might be able to do away with the 20 inch wheels, I just read something that said that newest software upgrade for the P3D puts it at just under 3 seconds 0-60. I cannot believe you can buy a car with the performance of a P3D at its price. This might sound crazy, but it’s probably the best value car available relative to performance. I know that’s not for everybody, but I smile every time I drive mine!

I would reach out to a SA and find out if there have ever been any P3- deliveries. If so it’s worth the wait as you get the acceleration of the performance at a much lower cost and no worries of expensive 20” wheels.

@ModelNforNerd - pothole damage to the 20" wheels and changing tyres more frequently.

This is a way over hyped (apparently by people who don’t actually use those wheels). They are somewhat more susceptible to damage. Whether or not you bend a wheel, the major cost will be tires. It really depends on whether you want performance driving or just going fast in a straight line from a stop light. If it’s just the latter then the 18” wheels make sense. If you like performance driving you should get the performance wheels.

Just wait for another batch of P3D- cars to be released since that is what you want most. It will happen. It keeps happening, they just don't show in inventory. Find a good owner advisor at one of the stores and have them run a search for you every so often. Also stalk this forum because people usually post when new ones show up.
@z06tim I don't know if you have some cosmic or psychic abilities, but I just got a call from my local Tesla rep and has found me a P3D- !!! A handful literally came into inventory today. I can't believe it - still doesn't feel real! Very happy to say the least... :):):)

Thanks to everyone else who provided their feedback too. If the P3D- didn't come through I was going to switch to the LR AWD.

Been driving my LR AWD for a few weeks now, great car but if it wasn't for my wife's temporary long commute for a few months and occasional skiing trips to the mountains, I would pick the SR+. LR is bit of an overkill for most daily driving situations, I do a 60 mile round commute everyday (colder temperatures, hvac, heated seats on, winter tires on the car) and I don't even use 20% of my battery.

You get all the basic goodness of the Model 3 with the SR+, an EV that has good range and power. Plus the car is lighter and more nimble. Best of all it is $9k cheaper. I always say "when in doubt always pick the cheapest option".

Performance was never on the table for me, I just don't need that kind of speed.

The only real downsides for the SR+ are:
1. Range (but that's only a negative if long drives are regular, or medium drives in cold weather)
2. Premium Connectivity (but this may come as a subscription option down the road)
3. Charging Speed (was ~100kW but is now being bumped to 170kW with update rolling out now)

AWD is nice for my drives up to Tahoe if I have to go up in the winter (but our Tiguan will still be the default choice for ground clearance), but I would have seriously considered RWD if it had still been available.

It was honestly the charging speed that tipped the scales for me. I wanted to future-proof against when V3 charging has a much wider rollout. But the new 170kW charge limit means you'll be able to max out charging at V2 chargers, and probably charge as fast as the LR battery cars at a V3 charger.

This is a way over hyped (apparently by people who don’t actually use those wheels). They are somewhat more susceptible to damage. Whether or not you bend a wheel, the major cost will be tires. It really depends on whether you want performance driving or just going fast in a straight line from a stop light. If it’s just the latter then the 18” wheels make sense. If you like performance driving you should get the performance wheels.

I got a Stealth P back in August 2018. I went through the first 9 months on the 18's with Primacies. Then I bought a summer setup with 19's and Pilot Sport 4S's (same tires that come on the 20" wheels), and now this winter, I'm back on the 18's, but with Nokian R3's.

The summer setup is a nice mix of being lighter than the 20's, and good, grippy tires. I don't take the big wheel range hit going from 18s to 19s.

@z06tim I don't know if you have some cosmic or psychic abilities, but I just got a call from my local Tesla rep and has found me a P3D- !!! A handful literally came into inventory today. I can't believe it - still doesn't feel real! Very happy to say the least... :):):)

Thanks to everyone else who provided their feedback too. If the P3D- didn't come through I was going to switch to the LR AWD.

You will absolutely not be disappointed. P3D- is a BLAST to drive.

Awesome!!!! I just knew if you were anything like me, you would have regretted your decision if you had your heart set on the stealth and then they showed up RIGHT after you bought a regular AWD non performance. Great news!