Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance vs not in a new Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey was wondering if I'll be upset not going with the performance version over the long range. Love the fast cars but is it worth the amount of extra money for replacing tires more frequently and other items I may not be thinking of?

Also is there an opportunity that it is just software locked and in the future I can upgrade to performance? Would this require buying a brand new set of tires to the 21" as a requirement?

If I do get the performance edition is it also able to put it it non performance mode unless I really want to have fun which can save the tires, and my wife lead foot from always launching?

Thanks in advance!

My recommendation is Get they Y Long Range with the 20” rims then get the performance boost for $2k . The performance acceleration are almost identical and you maintain the longer range. You sacrifice the lower suspension, read breaks and carbon trim part.

Reactions: DanticusD
Well not quite
The Performance and the LR with Acceleration Boost are Not the same.

A Long Range with AS is still ~ .6 seconds slower to 60 MPH.

Also many new LR's are equipped with the 990 rear motor, Not a 4D1 or 980 rear motor a 990 equipped LR cannot accept or achieve the same input and output power as a Performance model with 4D1 or 980 rear motors.

Yes the Performance model has a Chill mode for drivers that want a less spirited driving experience.
A Performance Model also gets you a Track mode to play with.

Currently working on setting my Y P with 18 inch studded winter snow tires as well as the stock 21" Ubers. Once I get the 18's sorted may buy some summer 18" tires as well to see if I can set the car up to equal a LR on range.

Last edited:
Also many new LR's are equipped with the 990 rear motor, Not a 4D1 or 980 rear motor a 990 equipped LR cannot accept or achieve the same input and output power as a Performance model with 4D1 or 980 rear motors.
This is great info, thanks!
Yeah I def like the idea of putting it in chill mode but being able to access performance and track when needed

Well not quite
The Performance and the LR with Acceleration Boost are Not the same.

A Long Range with AS is still ~ .6 seconds slower to 60 MPH.

Yes the Performance model has a Chill mode for drivers that want a less spirited driving experience.
A Performance Model also gets you a Track mode to play with.

Currently working on setting my Y P with 18 inch studded winter snow tires as well as the stock 21" Ubers. Once I get the 18's sorted may buy some summer 18" tires as well to see if I can set the car up to equal a LR on range.
Have you looked at teslas claim for 0-60 On the P they are using rolling and the LR is using stand still. If you compare stand still to standstill or apple to apples, they are identical. I believe they even have YouTube videos on this. Also the range delta is about 20 miles not so insignificant when you can’t add more range but can add comparable performance.

Have you looked at teslas claim for 0-60 On the P they are using rolling and the LR is using stand still. If you compare stand still to standstill or apple to apples, they are identical. I believe they even have YouTube videos on this. Also the range delta is about 20 miles not so insignificant when you can’t add more range but can add comparable performance.
So your saying the Y-LR with boost is just as fast as Y-P?

Tesla even notes the P model stipulation on 0-60 but nothing on the LR. Since I have never tested this can’t say for sure but why would tesla put a disclaimer on the P 0-60…

I think this forum has a thread on this topic.

Reactions: BWJ.
They are not identical. Without rollout is only about 0.2s slower. Not 0.8s.

Y P without rollout ~3.7s
Y LR +AB ~4.3s

Tesla even notes the P model stipulation on 0-60 but nothing on the LR. Since I have never tested this can’t say for sure but why would tesla put a disclaimer on the P 0-60…

I think this forum has a thread on this topic.
They do that on all the Performance models to make it look better on paper. Most other manufacturers don’t quote 0-60 times with rollout so for people who don’t pay attention to the asterisk they just compare the published numbers from Tesla at face value with other cars.

I have not tried track mode yet, but definitely plan to this winter, bet it makes for some fun in a big parking lot with snow or Ice to do a bit of drifting.:)

Have Posted this before but from earlier published numbers only about 13% buy the Performance Y so it is a little more "special" with the 21" ubers, acceleration, 155MPH top speed and acting more like it is on rails if pushing the turn in aggressively and having the Track mode included. I can stand the slightly stiffer ride for the other performance advantages but it did cost more.
If you should decide to "Ghost" a Y LR to truly equal the Performance model, they will have to confirm the 3D1 or 4D1 rear motor is present and then possible denial of factory warranty if a drivetrain issue comes up.
If the LR is quick enough for you buy it.
If Not wanting to possibly lose the warranty by Ghosting, Pay the extra coin and enjoy the YP while enjoying the full warranty.
Or if the LR is only a "bit" slower than what you want, buy the LR and add the Acceleration Boost.
After having the Performance model for 5 months I am absolutely sure it was the right Y for me. Lots of Options and Choices which is Good.

Reactions: Eric9610
Both are fast with major value in comparison to any equivalent ICE and EV cars in the market.

Things to keep in mind:
  • MYP and MYLR Suspension can be modded post to suit your taste
  • Track Mode Exclusive to MYP (At least time of this post, unless Tesla decieds to gift this to users with Acceleration Boost in the future...(Wishful thinking))
  • Range is negligble for both, depends on RL conditions, driving style, weight, etc (If you have any feel for speed, you will... range will def drop for both MYP and MYLR) It does favor MYLR, not by much YMMV
  • MYP and MYLR Brakes are the same front and rear
  • MYLR Optional 7 Seater
  • MYP and MYLR Wheels are interchangable

Non-performance has a noticeably slower feeling. But how often do you need that speed?
I feel the need- the need for speed...

Where Have I heard that before Oh Yeah

Glad I bought a Performance when a newer Vette, WRX with fart can, Hemi Challenger, F150 Raptor pulled up next to me and Just HAD to rev their engines. Will just say the YP can reach the posted speed limit quickly.

Last edited:
Hey was wondering if I'll be upset not going with the performance version over the long range. Love the fast cars but is it worth the amount of extra money for replacing tires more frequently and other items I may not be thinking of?

Also is there an opportunity that it is just software locked and in the future I can upgrade to performance? Would this require buying a brand new set of tires to the 21" as a requirement?

If I do get the performance edition is it also able to put it it non performance mode unless I really want to have fun which can save the tires, and my wife lead foot from always launching?

Thanks in advance!
I have a performance. There is chill mode for the times you want tontine down the acceleration rates for passengers who might not like the sport feeling. This also increases efficiency a bit too. In use it in city driving often & my wife always uses chill mode always. You can switch between sport & chill via steering wheel button, a relatively new feature.

Reactions: hyp36rmax
The Vette wasn't trying if you beat it.
You are correct. I edited the post to "newer" Having cruised in a 65 Vette convertible and a 69 T top that is a Very wide Range of years built.

Actually I miss worded that by combining different vehicles and using the word "new." Yeah after looking at pics of the newest Vette it was Not one of them.

After looking at some pics My guess is the Vette was ~ 2018.
The Raptor looked to be new, the Subaru was not and not sure what year but the Challenger looked like new and had a Hemi emblem on the hood. I was a bit loose with the description.

Hats Off to the New Corvette, IT is SWEET and darn Quick.

Going to see if my nephew wants to let me test drive his 2018 Raptor and have him test the Y Performance soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: hyp36rmax