Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance vs not in a new Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does the 3lr compare in terms of sportiness to the MYP?

I own both the 22’ MYP and 22’ M3 LR/boost. 3LR/boost is a sheer pleasure to drive. Handling and acceleration is best in class. I prefer driving it to the MYP while my wife prefers the latter.

The MYP in companion feels more refined and heavier…less tossable but way better interior space to breathe. Better for rest passengers by far. Handling, not the best with the elephant 21” lead-weighted Ubers tbh. I’m curious about those who have gone with a lighter forged rim/tire for the MYP and if it has helped the handling?

From a standstill, the MYP will beat out the LR to 60…unless one adds the ABoost to the 3LR. Then it’s virtually neck and neck on spec …but the 3LR feels faster as it really punches. Prob as a result of lighter weight so the response time is quicker. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Sportiness wise the 3 hands down wins that race. The handing and cornering is the best of any Tesla made to date. The Y is still an SUV so cannot expect it to handle like a car.
To help with MYP suspension bumps, I’ve reduced the psi to 38/39 from oem 42/43. This helps a lot with smaller bumps and road imperfections :)

Hope that helps!

From a standstill, the MYP will beat out the LR to 60…unless one adds the ABoost to the 3LR. Then it’s virtually neck and neck on spec …but the 3LR feels faster as it really punches. Prob as a result of lighter weight so the response time is quicker. 🤷🏽‍♂️
There is a perception difference. Not the perception of the car, but a literal one from the car. Because you are sitting at different heights off the ground, you perceive speed differently.

I’ve noticed this between my Honda Fit and Honda HR-V. Despite going the exact same speeds and doing the same things on local roads (cruise control in straights and light-moderate turns), the Fit always “feels” faster. Obviously the Fit will handle more aggressive turns with speed easier than the HR-V, with its lower body and lighter weight. But none of that matters when on cruise control through straight sections.

I forget where I saw it, but there was an article or two on the internet saying just as much.

There is a perception difference. Not the perception of the car, but a literal one from the car. Because you are sitting at different heights off the ground, you perceive speed differently.

I’ve noticed this between my Honda Fit and Honda HR-V. Despite going the exact same speeds and doing the same things on local roads (cruise control in straights and light-moderate turns), the Fit always “feels” faster. Obviously the Fit will handle more aggressive turns with speed easier than the HR-V, with its lower body and lighter weight. But none of that matters when on cruise control through straight sections.

I forget where I saw it, but there was an article or two on the internet saying just as much.
Tbh man I feel it has more to do with refinement. The 3 has a more go kart ish sporty dynamic and thus acceleration will ‘feel’ stronger. I’ve tested this with a few friends and they all say the 3 has a faster punch at any speed regardless what the Speedo says. The Y truly is a bit more refined in feel due to its weight.

Tbh man I feel it has more to do with refinement. The 3 has a more go kart ish sporty dynamic and thus acceleration will ‘feel’ stronger. I’ve tested this with a few friends and they all say the 3 has a faster punch at any speed regardless what the Speedo says. The Y truly is a bit more refined in feel due to its weight.
I would agree with you, if we‘re talking about acceleration.

But I’m not talking about acceleration, I’m talking about when on cruise control at a constant speed. Refinement, or lack of, won’t come into play.

I would agree with you, if we‘re talking about acceleration.

But I’m not talking about acceleration, I’m talking about when on cruise control at a constant speed. Refinement, or lack of, won’t come into play.
Lol. The discussion has been about sportiness of the 3 Vs Y. I was referring totally to acceleration :)

And at constant speed, the Y actually feels more refined. But…Sportiness was the question and it has everything to do with accel and handling, Ie. Which car exhibits a sportier feel..not really which feels nicer cruising at a constant speed. 😉

Oh also with respect to the height thing…even my friends 22’ S LR doesn’t feel as fast of a punch as the 3 does. Even though spec wise it surely is. Again I’d say more to do with suspension stiffness and lighter go-cart Vs refined and softer.

Have you looked at teslas claim for 0-60 On the P they are using rolling and the LR is using stand still. If you compare stand still to standstill or apple to apples, they are identical. I believe they even have YouTube videos on this. Also the range delta is about 20 miles not so insignificant when you can’t add more range but can add comparable performance.

Same line of thinking though why not go for the m3p?
Hatchback with rear folding seats "Mandatory." for some of us. Like was said earlier Family Truckster , but with some extra kick.

Discount Tire helped me out with this Combo for winter. I am a Big believer in studded snow tires for our area where we get lots of snow and ICY roads in the Winter. Wanted to get ahead of the Curve and get everything set up before winter.

Will post some more pics in a more appropriate thread.

Here is a shot of the new wheels and snow tires mounted on my Model Y Performance.

Attachments

• PXL_20230907_200049964.jpg
    PXL_20230907_200049964.jpg
    677.5 KB · Views: 107
Reactions: Noflash
Discount Tire helped me out with this Combo for winter. I am a Big believer in studded snow tires for our area where we get lots of snow and ICY roads in the Winter. Wanted to get ahead of the Curve and get everything set up before winter.

Here is a shot of the new wheels and snow tires mounted on my Model Y Performance.
Man that wouldn't get out of my driveway after 5 inches of snow or more where's the ground clearance

Man that wouldn't get out of my driveway after 5 inches of snow or more where's the ground clearance
Well if it gets deeper than the Y with siped deep tread snow tires will go I can always jump in my 3500 RAM 4x4 Diesel that also has a set of studded Hankook I Pikes.

OH and the driveway gets cleared just fine with a 3 point 87" Inverted snow blower. :)

That said I have thought of putting a lift on the Y... Also the pic makes the Y look lower than it is since the grass has not been mowed lately. The Tires are actually 29" tall very aggressive deep tread , siped and studded . Some Folks are happy with All Season tires for winter, I won't have any vehicle that actually gets driven with just All season tires mounted for winter. All seasons are just to much of a compromise. Maybe if we lived farther south with milder winters. Ice traction is a big deal to me.
Already pulled the new wheels and tires off and back to the 21" Ubers.

Last edited:
Reactions: gt2690b
Well if it gets deeper than the Y with siped deep tread snow tires will go I can always jump in my 3500 RAM 4x4 Diesel that also has a set of studded Hankook I Pikes.

OH and the driveway gets cleared just fine with a 3 point 87" Inverted snow blower. :)

That said I have thought of putting a lift on the Y... Also the pic makes the Y look lower than it is since the grass has not been mowed lately. The Tires are actually 29" tall very aggressive deep tread , siped and studded . Some Folks are happy with All Season tires for winter, I won't have any vehicle that actually gets driven with just All season tires mounted for winter. All seasons are just to much of a compromise. Maybe if we lived farther south with milder winters. Ice traction is a big deal to me.
Already pulled the new wheels and tires off and back to the 21" Ubers.
I was just messing with you really but I do have a lift and 29.5" blizzaks not as good as studs

How does the 3lr compare in terms of sportiness to the MYP?
Sportiness can mean many things, to me it’s a wholistic package. Power for either one up to and including MYLR in the mix is plenty quick compared to many sporty cars in the market. (0-60 times) Not even considering Acceleration Boost, which adds even more fun.

Power aside, most folks don’t consider suspension dynamics, which is probably one of the unspoken “sporty” factors, due to how complex it can get. It’s also the one thing that can easily be tuned and controlled beyond stock specs.

Between the three MYP, M3LR, MYLR, adding a tuned suspension with coilovers, camber toe adjustments, spherical bearings etc will truly transform the car from an avg to a sporty beast.

If you’re corner carver you will have a blast with all three while staying within your powerband easily.

Looks ready for winter. What size tires did you go with?

I have a MYLR and I planned to try the Acceleration Boost at some point. A year an half later, I've never felt the need to try the Boost and now I drive mostly in Chill mode and it's still plenty fast. A MYP would have been wasted on me. I guess I'm the odd man out in this thread!

• Funny
Reactions: Noflash