Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance vs not in a new Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
P is faster, looks better, worth more, and will resale better.
Other than being faster, not too sure your other points are accurate.
The performance, other than wheels looks just like a LR. Yes, it’s a little lower, but again, it looks just like a LR. That has always been one of the knocks on the performance version of Teslas, they look like the non-performance versions.
Worth more and resell better, again not really true. Worth more, cause you paid more. Not because it’s special or unique.

Reactions: BWJ. and cenwesi
P is faster, looks better, worth more, and will resale better. You can sell the factory 21s to almost cover the price difference. No way i would go back to a LR Y. The MYP is just enough to keep it fun. but i still find myself wanting more power
I just got mine, and right now I'm wishing for better handling. Maybe it's because I'm used to rear wheel drive, but the MYP I just bought (360 miles on it now) gets pretty squirmy under full power, and throwing it through corners with braking is rather unsettling. Feels like massive torque steer? Sort of pulls a bit to the left, then to the right, then to the left, etc when I floor it. Tires stick very well, and they always feel planted in a turn even when the body above feels like a stagecoach pursued by indians.

I bought my P for me. No one else! It's never seen a single second in Chill mode and it never will !! :D
Ha Ha
I tried it one morning driving to town, Got to the main hiway and thought I need to get on it to merge- and was like where is the power...
Switched it back as soon as I was merged.

It is plenty easy to just baby the accelerator when trying to get good range. If I get into a situation where not sure I will make the distance then will possibly switch it to Chill, Other than that can see no reason to Ever put it in chill again it just takes to much of the P's character away.

Reactions: DesmoDog
Other than being faster, not too sure your other points are accurate.
The performance, other than wheels looks just like a LR. Yes, it’s a little lower, but again, it looks just like a LR. That has always been one of the knocks on the performance version of Teslas, they look like the non-performance versions.
Worth more and resell better, again not really true. Worth more, cause you paid more. Not because it’s special or unique.

the wheels look better, the brakes look better, the rear lip looks better, it sits lower, its faster. its everything a LR is and more. Unless someone is in need of a couple extra miles there isnt one reason to pick a lr over a p other than trying to save money... At least not a car guy anyway.

Ha Ha
I tried it one morning driving to town, Got to the main hiway and thought I need to get on it to merge- and was like where is the power...
Switched it back as soon as I was merged.

It is plenty easy to just baby the accelerator when trying to get good range. If I get into a situation where not sure I will make the distance then will possibly switch it to Chill, Other than that can see no reason to Ever put it in chill again it just takes to much of the P's character away.
Snow?

The main reason MY for me is having a child and don't want a car so low to the ground, esp getting baby in/out....3 just doesn't seem big enough and I've been in them multiple times, also I'm tall and head almost hits ceiling/glass
It's just weird cause sitting low to the ground is one of the main reasons people list for why they want the myp

Big enough seems valid but with a baby who needs to be going 3.8s.. I dunno I got the LR with a lift for clearance in the snow ..

The Y only has like a fraction of an inch more headroom personally if I wanted performance I'd get the 3.

The MYP fills a very small niche imo

It's just weird cause sitting low to the ground is one of the main reasons people list for why they want the myp

Big enough seems valid but with a baby who needs to be going 3.8s.. I dunno I got the LR with a lift for clearance in the snow ..

The Y only has like a fraction of an inch more headroom personally if I wanted performance I'd get the 3.

Baby has need for speed!
But when no baby got to enjoy the speed and thrill!
Also out of all the EVs tesla is still the clear choice.
Plus all the safety esp for the area we live in 60% of vehicles on road are trucks And cybertruck is still prob 2 years on the waitlist

The MYP has a lower ground clearance than the LR but still a higher seating position than the 3. I like the utility of the Y and the higher seating position so I would never want the 3.

Reactions: gt2690b
As someone who purchased a MYLR a month ago, I wish I got the MYP. No complaints about the LR, it's just this nagging thought in my head about the speed and look of the Performance.

To be fair though, practically, with my work site visits, the Performance would have not been the ideal choice as I would have swapped out the suspension and wheels/tires anyway. Currently looking at a slight lift on my LR.

Reactions: kpanda17
I have a MYP, wife has a 3LR.

Get the P if you want more fun, if you are a "car guy" or if you're going to second guess your decision for the next 5 years. If you are creating a spreadsheet of efficiencies and comps, then get the LR because the P does not make sense financially.

But the stiff ride is nonsense and highly subjective. Track mode sure is fun. Acceleration sure is fun. Mileage depends how you drive on all EVs.

Glad I got the P.

Just came back from a beach road trip and had a great time being able to quickly accelerate and avoid merging cars getting into my lane with Autopilot enabled. I'll have to swap my MYP and take my brothers MYLR for a quick spin on the freeway to see if I notice much difference. I'm sure he'll be fine with suggestion to see if he is really missing out on much.

I have a MYP, wife has a 3LR.

Get the P if you want more fun, if you are a "car guy" or if you're going to second guess your decision for the next 5 years. If you are creating a spreadsheet of efficiencies and comps, then get the LR because the P does not make sense financially.

But the stiff ride is nonsense and highly subjective. Track mode sure is fun. Acceleration sure is fun. Mileage depends how you drive on all EVs.

Glad I got the P.
How does the 3lr compare in terms of sportiness to the MYP?