Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance vs. Regular Dual Motor "real world" performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Looking to get a Model 3 in the near future. Test drove the Performance Model 3 over the weekend and loved it. How big of a difference is there between this and the regular Dual Motor during regular driving (when you don't have the throttle down more than halfway)? Does the Performance model outperform the regular Dual Motor only when you're gunning it or does it feel faster in all scenarios?

Thank you.

I haven't driven a (non-P) 3D, but generally speaking it's in the 0-60 mph speed regime where the torque/power difference is most pronounced, I have to imagine that for any given throttle input in that region, that difference will be proportional. Someone that has or at least has driven both back to back can probably give you a more satisfactory/definitive answer. I don't regret buying my P3D one bit.

I've never driven an AWD (I never drove any Tesla until I picked up my P3D) but from what I can tell the power at every level of throttle is higher so you should feel a difference. Of course you could just press the pedal harder in the AWD to compensate.

Yeah - I didn't have time for a back to back test drive (not sure if they would have let me). In the case with ICE cars, sometimes the car with the faster max acceleration numbers feel faster in all situations. Sometimes, it may only feel faster when it's floored. Just curious with these electric motors.

Hello all,

Looking to get a Model 3 in the near future. Test drove the Performance Model 3 over the weekend and loved it. How big of a difference is there between this and the regular Dual Motor during regular driving (when you don't have the throttle down more than halfway)? Does the Performance model outperform the regular Dual Motor only when you're gunning it or does it feel faster in all scenarios?

Thank you.
It's an electric car so it only feels faster when you're using the additional power. I regularly have the throttle to the floor so I kind of wish I got the performance. If you're not someone who regularly drives with the throttle on the floor then it's probably not worth it. Above 60mph the AWD and the performance are pretty close in power.
Also get the performance if you want to autocross or track the car. The stability control on the AWD is pretty intrusive and annoying.

I test drove a LR AWD one week and a Performance the next week. The Performance is incredible; noticeably faster 0-60. I decided to buy the LR AWD because it is my daily driver. I didn’t think that I personally would use or appreciate the additional power off the line after the initial period and living in Chicago, I thought the road issues from the Perfomance (which rides slightly lower and with really low profile tires) wouldn’t be good.

Also, my prior car had summer tires and I needed to switch to winter tires every Fall and switch back every Spring (and try to time the switch — not too early and not too late), and store the other set in the meantime. I decided I wanted a fun car, but also wanted to simplify my life. So, I got the LR AWD. I picked it up last week and am thrilled with it. (I got a red one, which everyone knows is slightly faster!)

Ultimately, I don’t think you can go wrong with either model. It really depends on how you want to use your car.

Good luck.

I test drove a LR AWD one week and a Performance the next week. The Performance is incredible; noticeably faster 0-60. I decided to buy the LR AWD because it is my daily driver. I didn’t think that I personally would use or appreciate the additional power off the line after the initial period and living in Chicago, I thought the road issues from the Perfomance (which rides slightly lower and with really low profile tires) wouldn’t be good.

Also, my prior car had summer tires and I needed to switch to winter tires every Fall and switch back every Spring (and try to time the switch — not too early and not too late), and store the other set in the meantime. I decided I wanted a fun car, but also wanted to simplify my life. So, I got the LR AWD. I picked it up last week and am thrilled with it. (I got a red one, which everyone knows is slightly faster!)

Ultimately, I don’t think you can go wrong with either model. It really depends on how you want to use your car.

Good luck.

It is interesting that nobody ever discusses the color based speed differences or the obviously increased quickness of a newly washed/waxed car.

Hello all,

Thank you.
Not a performance guy. Drive an AWD Long Range M3 and have no problems with acceleration onto the interstate or cruising at 72 mph. Seems like a lot of $$ for the performance over the dual motor LR.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
I think they just limit the max current the motor(s) can pull on the non P cars. If you drive both cars casually or modestly brisk they will feel the same. That’s why they are rated the same range with the same tires. That would the simplest way to implement it.

When it’s cold out you’ll sometimes see dots on the right side (similar to limited regen dots on the left). Those limit how power power you can pull from the battery. As long as you stay below those dots you won’t feel any loss of power. What I think they are doing is basically adding hidden power limit dots.

Same goes for regen. If you put it on Low Regen your adding invisible dots that limit how much power (over time) is allowed to go into the battery. Or if the battery is cold.

So they have control over max watts into the battery (per unit of time) and max watts they can pull out if the battery. Some is forced by conditions and others are artificially forced by software.

I’m not sure about chill mode though. If it just limits max power further or if it does something more complex.

Limiting power is just like reducing horse power.

This is all speculation on my part. I have P3D- and have driven them all.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
I’m a car junkie. My last fun can was a 700hp C7 Z06. I’m very pleased with my AWD version. Faster is always better of course but the AWD does 0-100 in under 10 seconds [pre update] which is my classification for a decently fast car. If the $10k isn’t much to you, go for the P. Smiles either way.

Big car guy here, too. I used to think that, too. Then I drove a car on a track. Simple fact of the matter is that on the street, you can't even come CLOSE to getting much out of stupid fast cars. Shoot, a well tuned 944 Turbo, S2, or 968 on the track was enough to cure me of any desire to even have a GT3. Its pretty pathetic to think that a V6 midsize sedan would blow the doors off of my GTO (67), but they actually do. Fast has a whole new meaning, nowadays.

This video should do great justice to encourage buying the Model 3 Performance if you can afford it...

Do keep in mind that when you're on the road with other cars, if you find yourself having to beat nearly every car in terms of acceleration from a standpoint or while in motion to be first, the Performance is the one to get. Otherwise, the plain Dual Motor should be good enough to beat most cars.

My choice is clear... I enjoy the need for speed to beat slow pokes at traffic lights. Lol.