Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model y when does dual motor activate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Quickst

Nov 20, 2021
Sydney
Would appreciate any insights into the dual motor operation.

Are both motors operating all the time?

If not, which motor is predominant
And when does the 2nd motor come into play.

Does Model 3 and Model Y have the same dual motor operation ?

rear motor is predominant like >95% of time. front will engage only when you quickly press the accelerator pedal. Also, the front will be used for regen in cold temps more than in warm temps. front motor engages when a slip is detected in front axle as a part of stability control.

100% is sent to the rear motor. Front motor engages under moderate to hard acceleration. Front motor will also engage when rear traction is lost or when the vehicle is placed in off-road mode. There may be other scenarios as well. The main reason for the rear motor doing all the work is efficiency. Less power is being used when only one motor is engaged.

My understanding is slightly different than this. Early on, Tesla tried to develop a 2-speed transmission to maximize acceleration and efficiency, but they failed -- too much torque broke it. Now (or at least as of a couple of years ago) they design the rear motor for maximum acceleration at lower speeds and the front motor for maximum efficiency at higher speeds. So, out of the stop, it's mostly using the rear motor and cruising on the highway it's mostly using the front motor. This gives both acceleration and efficiency with minimal complexity.

My understanding is slightly different than this. Early on, Tesla tried to develop a 2-speed transmission to maximize acceleration and efficiency, but they failed -- too much torque broke it. Now (or at least as of a couple of years ago) they design the rear motor for maximum acceleration at lower speeds and the front motor for maximum efficiency at higher speeds. So, out of the stop, it's mostly using the rear motor and cruising on the highway it's mostly using the front motor. This gives both acceleration and efficiency with minimal complexity.
Would appreciate any insights into the dual motor operation.

Are both motors operating all the time?

If not, which motor is predominant
And when does the 2nd motor come into play.

Does Model 3 and Model Y have the same dual motor operation ?
I use the Teslogic app with my MY. It has an interesting section that shows real time energy consumption based all the different needs from the car:
1673675324735.png

Watching the diagram as I drive I can confirm that the rear motor is doing all the work 90% of the time. The only time both motors are drawing energy is when I punch the accelerator. For normal cruising, the front motor rarely engages.

Reactions: Quickst
Sort of and depends on the car. Basically, deactivating an AC Induction motor to use the PMSR is more efficient than doing the opposite. For cars with dual AC induction, the more efficient one is used.

Older S/X with dual AC induction motors bias to the front motor due to gearing.
Cars with AC rear, PMSR front (like Raven S/X) also use front.
3/Y are induction in front, PMSR in the rear, and use rear primarily.